U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 4,031 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for a vet orthopedic surgeon (torn ACL) in the northern part of the city or northern suburbs (beside the buffalo grove specialty group)? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM

456 posts, read 569,123 times
Here are some leads (but not necessarily appropriate, geographically); it may require some calling around. Also, your primary vet should have recommendations.

Chicago Pup Needs Knees

Also, our vet recently recommended Andrea Hayes at Boone Animal Hospital in Western Springs (but for an elbow problem, not ACL) -- they require referrals, though.
Boone Animal Hospital HID 5509 Our Staff

Good luck. I know these are mostly not in the right area of the city / suburbs, but maybe it's a start.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM

135 posts, read 250,830 times
Check out any vet schools in the area. I am planning to relocate to Libertyville in the next month and my current vet mentioned something about a vet school within an hour of the Chicago area. Can't recall where exactly, but you should be able to google it. My dog had 4 surgeries for torn ACLs: 2 to put in the plates and then 2 to remove the plates 1 1/2 yrs later when the plates got infected and the dog's leg swelled. The vet school was less expensive and provided excellent care. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2013, 04:02 PM

2 posts, read 4,031 times
Thanks. Some of those that have come recommended charge so much more than what we were quoted when it happened a few weeks ago -- just before we relocated out here. I'll check out those posted and look into more vet schools. U of I (I think) was high -- more than the University of Pennsylvania Ryan vet school -- they would charge 2900/knee -- the LOWEST quote I've gotten out here. Crazy.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM

135 posts, read 250,830 times
I paid 5k each knee in PA (Frazer, PA Specialty Vet Hospital). Never tried U of P because Frazer was 2 miles from my home. For the plate removal (admittedly a "lesser surgery") I paid $4700 using a combo vet emergency hospital and NC Vet school and about $2700 using only the Raleigh, NC Vet School. My dog is a Boerboel (South African Mastiff) so the TPLO surgery for ACL repair tends to require more plates. That might be the difference, depending on the size of your dog. Mine is 130 lbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs