U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 sons (3 and 3mo) and I are relocating from Long Island to Chicago. Husband is commuting to Elk Grove Village and ideally I'd like to stay south of EGV (closer to in-laws in Oak Lawn) and keep his commute to 1/2 hour or less. Budget is about $400-425K. Of course I want "good" school district, (but I don't believe that you have to have the very, very best school to get a good education and the very best education doesn't always translate into a successful, happy life). So from what I can tell there are so many good schools & towns in the western suburbs for us! I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

Would like a friendly, community-feel. I'm originally from small-town midwest and love to chat with neighbors and run into friends at the local store. Love older homes but not necessary. Hate driving all over LI so would love something with local shopping, although a "cute downtown" isn't necessary. I'm looking for community not aesthetics. But I would like a bit more house than I have now for the money (no fixer uppers, need fireplace to survive the winter, family room/rec area, 4 bed). Am I being too idealistic?

So many communities seem to be a bit out of our price range (Hinsdale, LaGrange, Western Springs, Downers Grove). Perhaps Wheaton? Elmhurst? Any suggestions to point me in the right direction? I have 3 short visits to the area to figure it all out, so the more I can narrow things down before I get there, the better. Thanks so much for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:55 PM

3,790 posts, read 5,554,288 times
Well all of the towns you mentioned are nice. More than nice in fact. (Hinsdale, LaGrange, Western Springs, Downers Grove. Perhaps Wheaton? Elmhurst.) Since your husband works in Elk Grove Village, Elmhurst is probably about the closest, Wheaton is further west maybe than you want to be. Hinsdale is probably the top of the heap of DuPage county suburbs..a beautiful town with high home prices accordingly so that is out of range. I think Downers Grove, Wheaton and Glen Ellyn might have some homes in your price range. Maybe La Grange or Western springs. Non of these places are really close to Oak Lawn but I am assuming you will not be going there on a daily basis. As far as I can see, its all about where you can find a suitable house in your price range and how far your husband wants to travel. All you mention are nice towns and if you get involved in community events you can make friends.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 AM

28,393 posts, read 68,141,354 times
Depending on how tight your budget is and how firm your desire for "no fixer uppers" is you will not find much in the first category you listed as even the nicer spots in LaGrange and Downers Grove (which are the least costly of that group...) do not have a lot of good inventory in that price range. Frankly you probably won't find a huge number of homes in your stated price range in Elmhurst or Wheaton that are in top conditions / great location either, though there are a handful.

I think you probably should include some towns adjacent / between the ones listed -- parts of Westmont are served D86 high school (Hinsdale schools) and if you shop carefully that might be worth the effort. Similarly there are few pockets of unincorporated homes with Glen Ellyn addresses that ought to be a manageable distance from EGV, actually closer than Wheaton, that might serve your needs.

There are a handful of spots inside Elk Grove Village that are worth looking at too, though with O'Hare close by the specifics of landscaping / street layout can have big impact on noise. Ditto Mt. Prospect to the north -- and of course that will add travel time to Oak Lawn...

Frankly if you can figure out a way to accept a home that is only partially updated you could save hundreds of thousands of dollars, especially in the pricey spots like Hinsdale / Western Springs / Clarendon Hills. Of course the other route is to accept a home that it in a less than ideal location -- the trade off of being a little closer to a busier street is actually a plus in terms of saving commute time and if there is a park / school playlot nearby the added space can be a sorta free much of the time...

Old 01-12-2013, 09:07 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,957,308 times
Elmhurst is nice because it is off the 294 and you can just get on the 294 to go to Oak Lawn pretty easily. And it is an easy commute to EGV (I currently work there) and it is nice proximity to downtown. Good school district. Not much shopping IN the town itself, but it is only like a few mile ride to Oak Brook Mall or Yorktowne.
Really you could not go wrong. All of Elmhurst is good, if you do not like airport noise stay away from anything north of Lake Street.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 AM

22 posts, read 37,054 times
How can Downers Grove be out of your price range? I lived there for over 10 years. Out of all the towns you mentioned Downers is the best buy! Look more into different areas in DOwners as there are 2 zip codes and several areas within it. It is a hidden gem if you really dig in there. I wish I was there now

Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM

2,883 posts, read 3,855,364 times
Roselle and Itasca might work. A really easy commute to Elk Grove and the schools, while not top, are fine.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:24 PM

619 posts, read 799,387 times
I would also consider towns like Darien and Willowbrook. They are right along Rt 83 which is a straight shot north to EGV. Good schools and close to the TriState and I-55 to get to Oak Lawn. I lived in Burr Ridge and Willowbrook and worked in Palos Hills for a while (next to Oak Lawn) and it is about a 20 minute drive.

Now I work in Mount Prospect and I often take Rt 83 north when the tollways are bad and it is about 25 minutes from 63rd street (Willowbrook) to EGV.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,524,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Roselle and Itasca might work. A really easy commute to Elk Grove and the schools, while not top, are fine.
I think this is good advice given what the OP said about their price range and schools. There are some very cute homes in Roselle that are in the OP's price range, like this one for example:

52 Rosemont Ave, ROSELLE, IL 60172 | MLS# 08247877 | Redfin

Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM

1,372 posts, read 429,667 times
Old-town Lombard gives you choices, and the community has a great park system, as well as the famous Prairie Path trail, which formerly had the Chicago, Aurora and Elgin electric railway go on this path. Home prices are a bit more breathable and the commute would be shorter, in case gas prices escalate again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs