U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM

26 posts, read 81,267 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be starting a family soon. We both moved around a lot as kids and adults, so we're now really attracted to having a permanent spot in the world. Suburban/exurban Chicago is where we've decided on settling down (the city would have been great, but there's no agriculturally-zoned land in the city, sadly).

We've found property that fits our parameters in Barrington Hills, Geneva, and Batavia (~5 acres, allows animals and farm activities, close to transportation corridors, commercial areas, and suburban conveniences).

So right now we're trying to figure out which area would be the best fit for us. We'll end up building something non-traditional and would like to keep the property indefinitely, so resale value or prestige of the area isn't important. We're more interested in convenience and local culture (for lack of a better word). I've read many threads on City Data discussing all three communities, but most of the conversation were related to housing stock and school districts.

I am 36 and she is 31; both young at heart. She teaches university ESL. I work with internet startups. We aren't religious. We really appreciate the maker-culture. Organized sports and nice fitness facilities are a great bonus (but much harder to find for adults in the suburbs, I know). She will probably stop teaching fulltime, though may look into teaching as an adjunct at a nearby surrounding college. I mostly work from home but need an airport about twice a month. We're not particularly social, but it's nice to spend time with interesting people every so often.

I'm happy to answer any other questions that would help to understand our situation and lead to a better decision for us.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:47 PM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
I would focus on unincorporated areas as the suburbs tend to have rather restrictive zoning. When comparing counties the further out / less dense counties tend to be more flexible -- if you can find something in McHenry that would likely be easier to deal with than Kane, Cook, or DuPage.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM

26 posts, read 81,267 times
I agree--the properties in Geneva and Batavia are actually just out of city limits and zoned ag. And the municipal code of Barrington Hills basically encourages agriculture activities--as it relates to the area's past of being a retreat for gentleman farmers (or something like that).

Old 01-14-2013, 02:17 PM

41,854 posts, read 31,715,364 times
Pay attention to school districts. You cannot asume the district in any of these areas.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM

16 posts, read 28,393 times
I live just next to Geneva and Batavia. They are very nice, generally middle class, areas. Barrington is a nice area too. I am unfamiliar with their school district, but it can't be that bad. Geneva and Batavia's are known to be fairly decent.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:26 AM

28,383 posts, read 67,919,335 times
Actually Barrington's schools have been among the most desirable in the region. Geneva is similarly the kind of town that people move to specifically for the schools. While Batavia's schools are mostly pretty good the more upscale home buyers tend to prefer areas in D204 on the eastern edge of Aurora or in-town Geneva. Even if one has desire in ever using schools it is important to understand the effect schools have on things like property tax -- more affluent towns have lower rates and that generally means a more affordable bill for large parcels...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or