Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 04:17 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times

Advertisements

Not all Blacks are gang members of the Englewood type, So if its a majority Black population in your child's school, its a bad school? Come on..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM

17 posts, read 57,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake View Post
Again that is coded racism to even make blanketed statements like that. For starters there are plenty of whites, blacks, browns and everything else moving to flossmoor. Your statements just show how ignorant you are on this matter. Flossmoor has been racially mixed since the 1980's. The percent it is now is just about the same as the percentage of different races that are currently moving to flossmoor. And there is also a large immigrant population in those figures also. And there are also a lot of blacks of mixed race american born heritage living in flossmoor. Most mixed race blacks will still say they are black on the census.If you cared to delve deeper into the census other than white and black.
Thank you. This is exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there is much more to the census numbers than just the raw data. I think I just need to spend more time visiting Flossmoor rather than obsessing over historical data!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:55 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Less than 10 years ago, we sold our Flossmoor house to a multi cultural family where the parents were both White and had adopted Hispanic children. Several houses down lived a multi cultural Asian and White family, two houses over was a multi cultural African and African American family, across the street was a single White mom that had adopted mixed race girls. The rest were all White families or all Black families, oh... atleast one Middle Eastern family and one South Asian family - this is all within the span of a block.

The folks that did move away; moved out of state (far), like we did, many to the West, like we did. The folks that are moving in obviously embrace diversity.

My then eight year old rode his bike ALONE to school around the corner. Other children WALKED in groups to school. For us, it was an ideallyic environment. The library, the park district programs, the sports, the parents all mostly on the same page made Flossmoor a jewel. Also the village is/was well run and safe.

My husband was out of town and the carbon monoxide detector went off. I called him and with him on the phone with me I couldn't figure out what had happened. It was in the evening. My husband said to call fire/police. They were at the house within minutes and took the time to walk through and look for any possible problems. They were gracious and not condescending to a young mom home alone with her child.

Flossmoor had such an easy, laid back vibe with friendly welcoming people and varied architectural home styles. Yes, the taxes are insanely high and will only go higher. Yes, beware of water in the basement. But for a great quality of life, Flossmoor ranks fairly high. I absolutely loved living there.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Why are you so concerned about race? So your saying when the White population decreases and minorities move in, theres a disinvestment? I sense a little coded racism...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Not all Blacks are gang members of the Englewood type, So if its a majority Black population in your child's school, its a bad school? Come on..
lol. Are you just picking random statements out of context in order to try to find racism?

I've made my intentions clear several times in earlier posts. I like Flossmoor BECAUSE it has black people (and Asian, Hispanic and White people). It's just that I know what has happened to many other southland communities over the years due to white flight and, before I spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on a house and $1,000+ a month on property taxes, I thought I'd see if locals could give confirm that Flossmoor is doing just fine as always. So far, it seems like my concerns are unfounded and that I'll be very happy to call it home!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Less than 10 years ago, we sold our Flossmoor house to a multi cultural family where the parents were both White and had adopted Hispanic children. Several houses down lived a multi cultural Asian and White family, two houses over was a multi cultural African and African American family, across the street was a single White mom that had adopted mixed race girls. The rest were all White families or all Black families, oh... atleast one Middle Eastern family and one South Asian family - this is all within the span of a block.

The folks that did move away; moved out of state (far), like we did, many to the West, like we did. The folks that are moving in obviously embrace diversity.

My then eight year old rode his bike ALONE to school around the corner. Other children WALKED in groups to school. For us, it was an ideallyic environment. The library, the park district programs, the sports, the parents all mostly on the same page made Flossmoor a jewel. Also the village is/was well run and safe.

My husband was out of town and the carbon monoxide detector went off. I called him and with him on the phone with me I couldn't figure out what had happened. It was in the evening. My husband said to call fire/police. They were at the house within minutes and took the time to walk through and look for any possible problems. They were gracious and not condescending to a young mom home alone with her child.

Flossmoor had such an easy, laid back vibe with friendly welcoming people and varied architectural home styles. Yes, the taxes are insanely high and will only go higher. Yes, beware of water in the basement. But for a great quality of life, Flossmoor ranks fairly high. I absolutely loved living there.
Awesome post! I love it. Thank you!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, beware of water in the basement.
Are there certain parts of town where basement flooding is a concern more than others, or should I watch out for it everywhere? We're focusing on the Flossmoor Estates, Flossmoor Park and Old Flossmoor neighborhoods -- generally anything within a 10 minute walk to the train. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2013, 05:28 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BER78 View Post
Are there certain parts of town where basement flooding is a concern more than others, or should I watch out for it everywhere? We're focusing on the Flossmoor Estates, Flossmoor Park and Old Flossmoor neighborhoods -- generally anything within a 10 minute walk to the train. Thanks!
I can't say all, but definitely many. Very well known problem. Check with the village, also read the village newsletters which are online for the latest community concerns. http://www.flossmoor.org/vertical/si...r_Winter12.pdf Check out the article about floodplains as well.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I can't say all, but definitely many. Very well known problem. Check with the village, also read the village newsletters which are online for the latest community concerns. http://www.flossmoor.org/vertical/si...r_Winter12.pdf Check out the article about floodplains as well.
Good to know. I'll certainly look into this more. Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:37 PM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Quote:
lol. Are you just picking random statements out of context in order to try to find racism?

I've made my intentions clear several times in earlier posts. I like Flossmoor BECAUSE it has black people (and Asian, Hispanic and White people). It's just that I know what has happened to many other southland communities over the years due to white flight and, before I spend a couple hundred thousand dollars on a house and $1,000+ a month on property taxes, I thought I'd see if locals could give confirm that Flossmoor is doing just fine as always. So far, it seems like my concerns are unfounded and that I'll be very happy to call it home!
Im not claiming racism, but your so worried in the demographics. I apologize for coming off a little rude, but alot of people in this fourm are pretty prejudice when it comes to relocating and stuff. Example, someone says they want to move to the south suburbs and instantly 40 people reply saying "Oh dont move there, its Blacks and full with crime". Well, thats not exactly what they say but that is sure what it comes off as. Flossmoor is a beautiful city, I often enjoy riding my bike there and I even take my kids to H-F to play in parks rather than the local parks in Country Club Hills. Im just confused why your so concerned about the demographics. Many of my black friends stay in H-F.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:

I'm sorry that want my child to be part of a diverse mix of kids, rather to be one of only a few white children in the classroom.
Your kid won't know the difference..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs