Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BER78 View Post
Urza, I think you are fixating too much on the 90% example that I gave, which wasn't meant to be fact but merely was to back up my point of why I find Flossmoor's current demographic mix appealing
Oh, really? Let's look at what you said. And your comments that triggered me to post a bunch of pie charts.. And why I got angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BER78 View Post
Again, a healthy mix of races is necessary for true diversity. 90% of one race, whether white or black, is not diverse.

H-F SEEMS to have that healthy mix right now. So do Beverly, Hyde Park and the South Loop (which I also like). The rest of the south suburbs do not have that anymore.
If you have a bad attitude about the south suburbs then perhaps you should stay out of the south suburbs, including Flossmoor.

I will repeat my comment. Flossmoor's neighbor to the south, Chicago Heights, is more racially diverse than Flossmoor..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM

17 posts, read 57,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Oh, really? Let's look at what you said. And your comments that triggered me to post a bunch of pie charts.. And why I got angry.

If you have a bad attitude about the south suburbs then perhaps you should stay out of the south suburbs, including Flossmoor.

I will repeat my comment. Flossmoor's neighbor to the south, Chicago Heights, is more racially diverse than Flossmoor..

Like I said before, I was really just talking about the demographics of the schools, which are different than the towns themselves. My apologies for not making that clear. I'm not trying to race bait or troll, here. We're not all bad on the internet. Can we move on?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 AM

300 posts, read 638,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

So your telling to OP to move to Chicago Heights? Lol...

Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
So your telling to OP to move to Chicago Heights? Lol...
Flossmoor or Chicago Heights? That's a tough choice.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM

34 posts, read 114,619 times
I wouldn't worry too much about Flossmoor. It will be fine. I think Flossmoor will maintain it's current mix of people of all races. White families are still moving there, mine included.

I also think that H-F in general both have an opportunity to attract Millennial home buyers in the future as they settle down with their own families. I know everyone thinks they want to stay in the city forever, but as soon as those kids come along, the suburbs start looking better and better.

I think H-F offers the best deal for the money out of all suburbs within 45 minutes of the Loop. You can get a very nice home, good schools and a safe, upscale and progressive community without making yourself house poor.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default I wonder if Jamie could share some of the reasons that they choose the southside...

If there is something that has been missed maybe it would help the OP understand forces that are in play. My impression is that the wider range of employment options that exist north / west of the city are likely to continue to create an unbalanced pull on folks with options desires of suburban living...

The most recent Census data suggest trends for the whole region are not exactly rosey. If there is something beyond "more house for the money" that could serve as a draw to the southern suburbs it would be very helpful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLannister View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about Flossmoor. It will be fine. I think Flossmoor will maintain it's current mix of people of all races. White families are still moving there, mine included.

I also think that H-F in general both have an opportunity to attract Millennial home buyers in the future as they settle down with their own families. I know everyone thinks they want to stay in the city forever, but as soon as those kids come along, the suburbs start looking better and better.

I think H-F offers the best deal for the money out of all suburbs within 45 minutes of the Loop. You can get a very nice home, good schools and a safe, upscale and progressive community without making yourself house poor.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 PM

128 posts, read 389,928 times
So concern about race then why not pick something like Winnetka and Wilmette. After all, you'll have to commute anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM

34 posts, read 114,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If there is something that has been missed maybe it would help the OP understand forces that are in play. My impression is that the wider range of employment options that exist north / west of the city are likely to continue to create an unbalanced pull on folks with options desires of suburban living...

The most recent Census data suggest trends for the whole region are not exactly rosey. If there is something beyond "more house for the money" that could serve as a draw to the southern suburbs it would be very helpful .
Happy to chime in. My wife grew up in the area and her parents are still there to help out with babysitting, etc. We both work downtown (with some occasional regional travel by car), so we wanted something on a Metra line that was walkable.

We looked at the North Shore, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, Oak Park/River Forest, La Grange/Western Springs/Hinsdale, Beverly, Mokena/Frankfort and Homewood/Flossmoor.

In the end, we much preferred the housing stock and overall "look" of Flossmoor, as well as all of the great offerings by the library and park district (not that these were necessary lacking in the other communities). Plus, there are a lot of people in H-F that are committed to the community. It was also very important to be near the grandparents.

In terms of beauty, there are parts of Flossmoor that I'd rank with eastern Winnetka, north River Forest and southeast Hinsdale (although at a much lower cost!). Lots of trees and canopied streets. It's very graceful.

Most people here seem to work downtown, at U of C or at one of the local hospitals. However, I've met a few people that take the Tri-State up to Oak Brook and Schaumburg, so there are people commuting from here to the west/northwest suburban job centers. The Tri-State, 57 and I-80 can connect south suburbanites with all points west, north and east.

We know that our house in Flossmoor might not appreciate much. However, we are able to live in a big, beautiful home in an upscale community with great neighbors and a quiet commute on the train for a fraction of what we would've spent north or west. That savings will open up so many more opportunities for our family and give us that much more of a financial cushion to fall back on.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Thanks, sorta fits what I have found too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieLannister View Post
Happy to chime in. My wife grew up in the area and her parents are still there to help out with babysitting, etc. ... It was also very important to be near the grandparents.

In terms of beauty, there are parts of Flossmoor that I'd rank with eastern Winnetka, north River Forest and southeast Hinsdale (although at a much lower cost!). Lots of trees and canopied streets. It's very graceful.

We know that our house in Flossmoor might not appreciate much. However, we are able to live in a big, beautiful home in an upscale community with great neighbors and a quiet commute on the train for a fraction of what we would've spent north or west. That savings will open up so many more opportunities for our family and give us that much more of a financial cushion to fall back on.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to have family close by. In fact of the many young families that I have helped to find starter homes those with one or more parents near by seem to do better financially over the long haul than all but the most highly compensated transferess . Aside daycare / babysitting the ability to not worry that if "if something comes up I have no back up" not jut for kids but even a family illness of even unfortunate car accident / appliance repair call tends to be a very postive force that allows families to maintain dual incomes.

I also highlighted the simple visual appeal of Flossmore as I agree that folks that foolishly move to some former farm field with all the appeal of moon colony sometimes forget that more than just a pretty street scape an area that has actual varied landscape will encourage kids to play outside, neigbors to see one another walking and a whole community that is much more functional than folks only forced to vote on HOA matters ...

Old 02-18-2013, 08:51 PM

6 posts, read 4,115 times
Country Club Hills is also another great option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs