Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM

58 posts, read 138,638 times

Advertisements

Whenever I'm in OP/RF/FP, I can never figure out where I am. One can literally stand at the corner of Harlem and Lake and gaze into downtown Oak Park to their East and River Forest plaza to their west (all while looking up at that big Forest Park water tower). What are the boundaries to these towns, and do you think they are all interconnected? For example, is the majority of Forest Park walkable to OP?

Secondly, what to do you think of Forest Park? While, I'm familiar with Oak Park, not so much with FP. Is it just as nice? It seems like a better deal in terms of home costs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,258,305 times
Do Forest Park students attend Proviso or Oak Park-River Forest HS, or split? That would be a possible concern. Not as familiar with the k-8 schools.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Do Forest Park students attend Proviso or Oak Park-River Forest HS, or split? That would be a possible concern. Not as familiar with the k-8 schools.
Forest Park goes to Proviso East.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
Default Schools are a big factor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
The miserableness of Proviso is well documented and THE MAIN REASON that Forest Park lags far behind Oak Park or River Forest in desirability.

The same situation exists with Berkley, Bellwood, Broadview, Maywood, Hillside and Westchester being served by this miserable excuse for a high schools district. If progress were made toward efforts to address the short comings of this situation it would do much to improve the entire corridor along the Eisenhower but like other "politically motivated" decisions it is all but impossible for ANYONE to actuallly run a campaign that would be successful in getting a sufficiently like-minded BOE elected across so many town, most of which are filled with "low information voters". Efforts to fight sprawl, improve transportation and law enforceent are VERY fragmented in that near west Cook region...

There are some similarities between the "scale" of things in FP and OP or RF, but even if you don't have kids the "panache" that even I have to admit exists in all but the crummiest parts of Oak Park is head and shoulders over even the nicest parts of FP...

Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,989 times
Forest Park is only a "deal" if:
- you don't have kids (cause the schools suck)
- you don't want to or have to resell in a hurry (cause the schools suck, you will have a harder time selling than someone in OP/RF)
- you understand that FP is not as nice as OP/RF - smaller houses, smaller lot sizes
- you want to live close to the Madison St bars

And only a small portion of FP is walkable to anything in OP. Use google maps to show you the boundaries of FP. Most of FP is far away from OP/RF.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:15 PM

Default A quibble...

JP: I don't think it was your position that "Oak Park is uniformly lovely no matter where in the 100% delightful town you live" (though I think you know who has said this...) but you can't really say "most of FP is far away from OP" when the two towns share common borders for a solid 1/3 or more of their boundaries...

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with your highlighted points (though I know I can find a handful of oversized lots in FP to toss against a handful of undersized lots in OP...) but you gotta admit that there are parts of FP that are close to the core than some spots inside OP's border. Of course that still would not make me wanna own something in FP, though for a renter it might be a decent trade off, especially if the rest of your highlighted points are weighed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Forest Park is only a "deal" if:
- you don't have kids (cause the schools suck)
- you don't want to or have to resell in a hurry (cause the schools suck, you will have a harder time selling than someone in OP/RF)
- you understand that FP is not as nice as OP/RF - smaller houses, smaller lot sizes
- you want to live close to the Madison St bars

And only a small portion of FP is walkable to anything in OP. Use google maps to show you the boundaries of FP. Most of FP is far away from OP/RF.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 PM

58 posts, read 138,638 times
Man, that's really too bad about the schools being so terrible! I wonder why change isn't happening there, especially with OP and RV being so popular..

That said, my Dad grew up in RV and went to a private school in the area (St. Luke's at first, then a different one later - I can't remember the name of the second one, though), so at least there are other options. Still, buys probably feel that if they're going to shell out for private education, they might as well live in the city.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:12 PM

People choosing private schools in River Forest are generally doing so the different cultural experience of a parochial school, not about money.

There are paracohial schools available to those who wish to avoid Proviso but in the main it is not a situation where folks would be choosing the city -- it is pretty much that same sort of "value" calculation that cause folks to choose Hinsdale or Winnetka over a similarly priced home in Lincoln Park: the total package is a better value / fit. The modest real estate values in Maywood or Broadview are below that in even really awful parts of Chicago and as bad as Proviso (East or West) is the high schools in Chicago are like 10x worse...

Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
It seems to me that the boundaries generally of Oak Park are North Ave to the north, Austin Ave to the east, Roosevelt Rd to the south and Harlem ave to the west. I am no expert on this area so maybe others will chime in.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 AM

214 posts, read 545,881 times
Oak Park is a rectangle. Not too hard. Forest Park is oddly shaped. You can see it here:

File:Forest Park IL 2009 reference map.gif - Wikimedia Commons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs