Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 05:02 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,181,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Well enjoy those high taxes as Rauner just approved another property tax hike! Illinois residents now pay the highest property taxes in the country, highest sales tax and now misc taxes such as a pop tax, just to fund the worst pension debt of all the states in the country!

Dennis Welsh Editorial: One simple solution to brutal Illinois tax hikes - Story | WFLD

Illinois House passes school funding bill on second try | abc7chicago.com

And yes, every state has it's less than desirable areas! I would say Hammond, East Chicago and even Gary are better than some of the South Chicago suburbs! However, if you go just a little further South of there the area in NW Indiana is total opposite! I live in St. John and it's comparable to Orland Park. Actually, it's nicer than Orland! Lots of mature trees and deer roaming. Homes that range $300k-$1mil plus, with property taxes capped at 1% of your properties assessed value! Oh and if I so desire, I'm only 38 miles from downtown Chicago! Don't want to be that far, look at Dyer, Munster and Highland. As a matter of fact, Munster is putting in a huge shopping center (Centennial Village) and a new condo building that will have units starting at $220k for a 1bd 1 ba to over $400k for a 3 bedroom unit! Munster schools are rated a 10, BTW. There are MANY great neighborhoods in NWI!! The schools are fully funded and trust me, they are better!! My kids were in the Plainfield school district in Illinois (supposedly rated a 9) and when we moved here my kids were behind! The high school here offers WAY more STEM classes as well as way more college classes!!

It might pay for people to look beyond Gary as they look beyond Englewood in Chicago, correct? What you see from the Toll Road is not a good indication of a NWI town!
I can't help but think that majority of your posts read like you are trying to convince yourself that NWI is a great place to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 07:11 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
I can't help but think that majority of your posts read like you are trying to convince yourself that NWI is a great place to live.
Thanks for following my posts

Where I live IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE! No convincing needed, no one is making me live here! I choose to. Posters on here love to say how much better Illinois is than Indiana; however, the majority have never been South of the toll road so they have no idea what Indiana has to offer. I have lived in both states and I currently choose to live in Indiana. Sorry that's so hard for you to believe, but I think I have given plenty of reasons why people are leaving Illinois for here (and other states)! If you choose to live in Illinois than that's perfect for you, but not for all and definitely not for me! Had Illinois not become a fiscal disaster we might have stayed, but we decided to leave and I don't regret it one bit!

Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for following my posts

Where I live IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE! No convincing needed, no one is making me live here! I choose to. Posters on here love to say how much better Illinois is than Indiana; however, the majority have never been South of the toll road so they have no idea what Indiana has to offer. I have lived in both states and I currently choose to live in Indiana. Sorry that's so hard for you to believe, but I think I have given plenty of reasons why people are leaving Illinois for here (and other states)! If you choose to live in Illinois than that's perfect for you, but not for all and definitely not for me! Had Illinois not become a fiscal disaster we might have stayed, but we decided to leave and I don't regret it one bit!
I have also lived in both. No offense but if I was forced to leave Illinois due to financial concerns (i.e. taxes) I would be looking at leaving the Chicago metro altogether before considering a move to NWI. Glad you like it though. To each their own.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:24 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,453,345 times
Quote:
I was thinking that too. I believe this poster mentioned that he/she was from Plainfield, which leads me to believe they may have originated from Berwyn or Cicero? The tone and attitude sounds very familiar to me, having lived in Berwyn post white flight. The former residents were always trying to tell us how crappy things were in our community and how great things were out in the far western exburbs where they went. Looks like they may have had to pick up and go further.

Anyway, we'll see how they feel once poor people from the south side and south suburbs start moving there in larger numbers. I can almost guarantee that will occur as taxes increase in IL and Chicago and more vulnerable families seek out cheaper living. That is going to be interesting to see, though I have a good feeling what the result is going to be.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
I have also lived in both. No offense but if I was forced to leave Illinois due to financial concerns (i.e. taxes) I would be looking at leaving the Chicago metro altogether before considering a move to NWI. Glad you like it though. To each their own.
I moved from one of those other states, Florida, and it is no panacea. Every state has its pluses and minuses. People would be on those boards complaining it was too hot and humid. There were too many bugs and snakes and wild animals. The schools were poor. You had to pay a ton for various types of insurance. There were lots of natural disasters. The list goes on.

CGab comes onto most of the suburban threads on the S/SW side and tries to convince people to move to NWI. If they wanted to move there, they would have asked.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I was thinking that too. I believe this poster mentioned that he/she was from Plainfield, which leads me to believe they may have originated from Berwyn or Cicero? The tone and attitude sounds very familiar to me, having lived in Berwyn post white flight. The former residents were always trying to tell us how crappy things were in our community and how great things were out in the far western exburbs where they went. Looks like they may have had to pick up and go further.

Anyway, we'll see how they feel once poor people from the south side and south suburbs start moving there in larger numbers. I can almost guarantee that will occur as taxes increase in IL and Chicago and more vulnerable families seek out cheaper living. That is going to be interesting to see, though I have a good feeling what the result is going to be.
You guys are funny! I have never lived anywhere near Berwyn or Cicero! We used to live a block from Naperville( furthermore, I don't worry about anyone moving into my neighborhood from the Soutj suburbs because anyone from those towns probably can't afford where I live!

I come on these threads to inform as obviously most are clearly unaware! I also still have strong ties to Illinois (family, friends, clients, etc). I'm glad you're happy where you're at just as I am too! I would hope one would love where they live!

Old 08-31-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I moved from one of those other states, Florida, and it is no panacea. Every state has its pluses and minuses. People would be on those boards complaining it was too hot and humid. There were too many bugs and snakes and wild animals. The schools were poor. You had to pay a ton for various types of insurance. There were lots of natural disasters. The list goes on.

CGab comes onto most of the suburban threads on the S/SW side and tries to convince people to move to NWI. If they wanted to move there, they would have asked.
No thanks to living in Florida. If I had to leave Illinois/Chicago, Colorado would be at the top of my list. I love it out there.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
No thanks to living in Florida. If I had to leave Illinois/Chicago, Colorado would be at the top of my list. I love it out there.
Agree with you there on Florida. If and when we move again (and we probably will in 10-15yrs) I'm thinking Tennessee; however, Colorado is nice too, but I think I'll be done with winters by then!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Agree with you there on Florida. If and when we move again (and we probably will in 10-15yrs) I'm thinking Tennessee; however, Colorado is nice too, but I think I'll be done with winters by then!
I still love having 4 seasons and snowfall out in Colorado is quite useful if you enjoy skiiing like I do! Also, the winter temperatures in Colorado are much more moderate than the Chicago metropolitan area.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:28 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,383,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

unfair to pick on someone like that. Most are not aware of the pluses of NWI and I sure it is just some input for people to be informed which is what the forum is all about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs