Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 9,187 times

Advertisements

My friend from Japan has accepted a year and half internship with a company located in Wheaton, IL, and I am trying to help her figure out where to live. As I am from the east coast (baltimore/washington area) it has been hard for me to figure out the best place to suggest for her to live. She would preferably want a studio/one-bedroom that is cheaper, with AC/heat and utilities included, and near a Metra or El station because she won't have a car. Does anyone have any suggestions for good, safe places to live that are convenient to public transportation? I was thinking if she doesn't want to live directly in Wheaton, she could always live somewhere along the Metra rail line that runs through Wheaton, from Elburn into Chicago and take the Metra to work each day. How are the areas along that line?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
She could look into Geneva, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Lombard too.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
She could look into Geneva, Naperville, Glen Ellyn, Lombard too.
Lombard would be the cheapest.

But I say just live in Wheaton.

Is there Elburn service now????????

Old 10-26-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Lombard would be the cheapest.

But I say just live in Wheaton.

Is there Elburn service now????????
Yes, the Metra runs into Elburn. Elburn is nice too, but there are not many apartment complexes there, mostly SFH's. Id also recommend Warrenville, which is right next door to Winfield that has Metra access.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, the Metra runs into Elburn. Elburn is nice too, but there are not many apartment complexes there, mostly SFH's. Id also recommend Warrenville, which is right next door to Winfield that has Metra access.
I used to take the train in Geneva and it was nice that the train was waiting for me at the station. Especially in the winter.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I used to take the train in Geneva and it was nice that the train was waiting for me at the station. Especially in the winter.
That would be a big plus! Not only that, but you can partake in a drink or two at the bar there before the train shows up.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That would be a big plus! Not only that, but you can partake in a drink or two at the bar there before the train shows up.
I live in rural New England now but I miss drinking on the homebound metra train on a Friday evening. For whatever reason it was illegal to sell 12 oz bottles of alcohol to go at Northwestern station. So they skirted around the law and sold 24 oz cans. A little ghetto maybe, but much appreciated by me.

Good times. Good times

Old 10-26-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I live in rural New England now but I miss drinking on the homebound metra train on a Friday evening. For whatever reason it was illegal to sell 12 oz bottles of alcohol to go at Northwestern station. So they skirted around the law and sold 24 oz cans. A little ghetto maybe, but much appreciated by me.

Good times. Good times
Good times indeed. Nothing like sittin back on the train with an ice cold PBR for the ride.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Good times indeed. Nothing like sittin back on the train with an ice cold PBR for the ride.
indeed. but make it two .at least

We've somewhat hijacked this thread so I'll add more.

It seems to me that Wheaton could be a good choice for international students or workers. It's a pretty safe town with a fair amount of apartments
and there are visitors from all over the world there because of Wheaton College. The trains often run hourly and I don't see any reason not to live in Wheaton.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
indeed. but make it two .at least

We've somewhat hijacked this thread so I'll add more.

It seems to me that Wheaton could be a good choice for international students or workers. It's a pretty safe town with a fair amount of apartments
and there are visitors from all over the world there because of Wheaton College. The trains often run hourly and I don't see any reason not to live in Wheaton.
Wheaton is very safe, actually. The only problem is that the apartments right near the Metra (near the campus) are reserved for students.

To the OP: how much is she willing to spend on rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs