U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 05:40 PM

35 posts, read 268,511 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Chicago this upcoming December and need your help deciding where to move. Initially our hearts were set on Lincoln Park since we like the city life and our children are one year away from college age, but we have 2 big dogs and I just don't see having them locked up in a brownstone 24/7. Sooo, we've changed gears and now plan to move to a northern suburb that has express, as close to round-the-clock train service as possible, with a short (i.e, under 30 min) commute to the City and as short as possible to Abbott Park. This will give us the land we need for our dogs, a home similar to what we're used to, plus peace of mind for when the kids go to college (I don't want them commuting far if they go out in the evenings). I've been doing a lot of research on the suburbs and am most inclined towards the northern suburbs. We want a nice place, hopefully with water views (to remind us of Malibu, sob!), nice shopping, good schools, etc. We are planning to spend up to $5 million on a house, would prefer new construction or under 5 years, and some land. An acre would be great but will settle for a bit less for the right location. A nice community with convenient shopping, nice parks, etc. We are very private and down to earth people with good values and while we don't live to flash our wealth for others to see, we appreciate comfort and nice surroundings. Could you please share your thoughts on what the most appropriate locations for us would be?

Another question is, I understand taxes are lower in Cook County than in the others. Is this true and if so, are there differences in tax rates among the various townships within the County? This would make a big difference for us, to the point of determining how expensive a property we will be able to purchase (after all, we are working people so finances are definitely finite!). Based on the information we now have, we are only considering towns in Cook county based on tax rates, which seem to be outrageously high. As you know, even though California home prices are quite high, we have the lowest property taxes in the country. Your guidance on this important issue will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by CaliGirl2; 10-26-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 05:44 PM

11,215 posts, read 7,606,961 times
Kenilworth and Wilmette come to mind

Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,614,064 times
Kenilworth,Wilmette,Winnetka,Glencoe, Highland Park, and the furthest and nicest (I think) is Lake Forest. All fit your request.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:02 AM

Okay, so I've been doing some more research and am tentatively inclined towards Glencoe, Winnetka or Kenilworth. How would you characterize these towns? I am concerned about a post on another thread indicating that the downside of these communities is their proximity to north Chicago, which is "bad." Can anyone expand on that?

Old 10-27-2007, 03:12 AM

3 posts, read 9,640 times
Kenilworth, Would be my vote! It is piquaresque. There is nothing wrong with any of the towns you listed they are the Creme De la creme of the North shore. North Chicago has NO effect on these towns. I have lived in the northwest suburbs my whole life, and know the reputation of all the towns you have mentioned. You have nothing to worry about, except if you can keep up with the Joneses.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledzalona View Post
Kenilworth, Would be my vote! It is piquaresque. There is nothing wrong with any of the towns you listed they are the Creme De la creme of the North shore. North Chicago has NO effect on these towns. I have lived in the northwest suburbs my whole life, and know the reputation of all the towns you have mentioned. You have nothing to worry about, except if you can keep up with the Joneses.
Agree, no effect at all on these lovely burbs.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,368,478 times
I haven't been up that way recently, but the only negative about those suburbs (from what you want) is that the vast majority of homes are older than 5 years old.

Old 10-27-2007, 10:02 AM

1,013 posts, read 4,062,552 times
Barrington Hills is also a very upscale community with beautiful multi-million dollar homes, and the homes tend to be newer. However, Barrington Hills is farther from the city than the above mentioned suburbs, commute to the city would be longer than 30 minutes. And I'm not sure what county Barrington Hills is in?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM

Barrington Hills is mostly in Cook. I agree with what you say,but many homes here are " old money "-gorgeous old estates,gorgeous grounds. Not necessarily new homes (though there are plenty of those)This is also a five acre minimum area. I didnt mention BH as I thought the op wanted north shore- dont consider this really north shore. Also,got the impression by the "mailbu" comment that the lake shore would be more to her liking.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Thank you all for putting my mind at ease. If all we have to worry about is keeping up with the Joneses, then it's a done deal because they just don't exist in our book! I've noticed that homes in those areas do tend to be older and have been leaning towards Glencoe because I've found quite a bit of new construction there. That said, many people favor Kenilworth so I'll have to pay closer attention to that community. We initially concentrated our search in the Barrington Hills area, which seems beautiful and private (better value for the money too), but abandoned the idea based on the commuting distance. The north suburbs seem to meet all our needs except the privacy, as homes tend to be much closer together, but all in all, the package wins. And Nanannie is correct -- being close to the lake will make it seem like home! I was born and raised in the Caribbean among palm trees, coconut water and the lull of the ocean. I was then transplanted to the concrete jungles of New York for 20 years, which I learned to love and have actually missed (sans winters!), so moving to CA 4 years ago (and Malibu specifically) was like finding myself after being MIA for a long time. It's difficult to explain, but the ocean is a part of me and I will miss it terribly when we move. I realize the lake is nothing like the beach, but I'll take it anyway. It also seems to me that the lifestyle in the northern suburbs might mirror that of Malibu in many ways, but perhaps not those that will probably come to most people's minds.

Contrary to popular belief, the Malibu community is very informal, family oriented, extremely understated, and suprisingly "country" in so many ways. Most sprawling mansions are largely hidden from view so visitors are often disappointed because it looks so "common". We have a Farmer's Market, ONE movie theatre, minimal shopping, many cheap eateries and no night life! Just beaches and hills and peace. That's why so many celebrities live here; nobody cares except the papparazzi. Every so often one might run into the Joneses too, but they can be easily avoided if that's not your cup of tea. In fact, I think "the Joneses" syndrome has little to do with wealth, which is relative, and much to do with character. Quite sad actually. But once in a while the Joneses are just nice people who fall victim to the Smiths who feel the need to compete with them and if they can't, they just malign them because it's easier to blame the Joneses than to do a little introspection regarding the motives in their own hearts.
Please understand that these are just my humble observations, which I'm sharing on a philosophical level so I hope no offense is inferred.

Thanks again to all, and please keep your comments coming. I am quite impressed with how generous people in this forum are with their time, experiences and advice. Speaks beautifully about the people of Illinois and I look forward to being among you very soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs