Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM

61 posts, read 179,334 times

Advertisements

Harvest Bible Church is good. James MacDonald is the pastor. You may have heard him on the radio as he is nationally syndicated.

Harvest Bible Chapel - Welcome

I'm also new to Chicago, haven't settled on a home church yet, but I have found that there are many opportunities in the Chicago area. Let me know how your serach goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 03:23 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,753 times
I attended Willow Creek for 15 years. When I went there the auditorium held a few thousand, now I think it holds 7 or 8 thousand. While I was there, BillHybels, one of the founders was the teaching pastor. John Ortberg and Lee Strobel also taught. Strobel and Ortberg are now in California. Hybels still teaches but two other pastors now do most of the teaching.

I made alot of friends through my small group at Willow Creek. When you go to a large church, I think you need to join a small group. I probably wouldn't have joined one on my own, my wife pretty much made me, but I am so glad she did. It's easy to attend services at a huge church and just leave without speaking with people. It's easy to get lost in the crowd.

Sunday services are pretty basic. The hardcore bible teaching is on Wednesdays or Thursdays. I attended the suburban satelite locations,with video feed sermons from the main church, but it just wasn't the same.

Good luck in your move and journey to a new church!

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 PM

35 posts, read 285,444 times
Default Wow!

Thank you all for all your responses -- I am joyfully overwhelmed by the number of good church ministries in your area. This is the one highlight that comforts me as we prepare for this move ("winter" and "I" should never be in the same place, lol!), so may God bless all of you as you've blessed me through your suggestions in this thread! I will make it a point to visit each and every one of these churches when we get to Chicago

Old 11-03-2007, 02:13 AM

5 posts, read 30,360 times
Family Harvest International Church in Tinley Park, is led by Dr. Robb Thompson host of "Winning In Life" TV show in the southwest suburbs. and Life Changers International Church in Hoffman Estates is led by Pastor Greg Dickow host of "Changing Your Life" TV program in the Northwest suburbs.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM

11 posts, read 57,106 times
Smile Non-denominational, large churches in chicago

I can recommend First Presbyterian Church Evanston -- It isn't that large - 1500 people - but does meet all your other qualifications -- However, it is denominational -- This church has a tremendous mission outreach -- both local, national and international mission focus -- great classes for college students/adult education, active outreach to the homeless (soup kitchen,) environmental stewardship group, participation for toddlers- teens, youth ministry, and a pastoral counseling center. But...

another possibility for you -- if you don't like the Presbyterian focus, is to consider "Willowcreek Church" -- this is a meg-church started by Bill Hybles many years ago.... It now has a northern branch that meets in close to Glenview -- I believe Northbrook. The central location -- which is indeed "MEGA" is located out in Algonquin, Illinois -- this is a bit far to travel on a regular basis from the city but you might want to check it out to see what you think.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:25 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,627 times
Harvest Bible Chapels have a chain of churchs that are really good. The mother church in in Rolling Meadows, but there's others. My personal one I went to originally at Glenbard South High School just opened their new facility in Naperville. Senior Pastor is Ron Zappia and I miss it there so much. I highly recommend that one, but there are sooo many great opportunities out in the area. I also know Wheaton Bible Church got a wonderful new facility too. Another great church, but these all may be out of your area. I forget where you will be moving to.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 AM

474 posts, read 2,538,493 times
Default Wheaton Churches

As 'Deegers' mentioned, Wheaton, IL has its Wheaton Bible Church with a brand new facility almost completed. That huge / new facility is on North Ave. (IL - 64) and close to St. Charles Road.

Another very good church - - almost a neighbor of the Wheaton Bible's new building - - is called the Christian Fellowship Church (CFC). "CFC" is actually a spin off from the above Bible Church.

So what is a 'Bible' church? It is a non - denominational church that believes in what the Bible has to say. In reality, some Bible churches are associated with an organization known as "IFCA" - - "Independent Fundemental Churches of America". A 'Bible' church has similar beliefs - - based on the Bible - - as a fundemental Baptist Church.

And of course, there is also "College Church", also in Wheaton, IL. Other than being located physically adjacent to the Wheaton College campus, it really does not have any financial association with the college.

There are also a number of other good but smaller fundemental churches throughout the Wheaton / Winfield, IL areas. The town of Wheaton can be considered a 'Bible Belt' town, although now becoming isolated. Why is it considered this? Because the famous Rev. Billy Graham graduated from Wheaton College circa 1947 - 1950.

IF I am repeating myself, please forgive me. That's because I can no longer keep up with what I have previously mentioned - - due to my large number of my threads.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 AM

356 posts, read 542,220 times
There appear to be 170+ non denominational churches in Chicago--you might like to review them at this site:

http://www.usachurch.com/illinois/ch...hurchSearch.do

Old 11-13-2007, 01:21 PM

35 posts, read 285,444 times
Default Highland Park

Thanks for all your responses. I just got back from a north shore househunting trip and it's looking like Highland Park will be the winner for us. Any of these churches located in that area? And thanks for posting that link, John; I'll be checking it out soon!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy C. View Post
I can recommend First Presbyterian Church Evanston -- It isn't that large - 1500 people - but does meet all your other qualifications -- However, it is denominational -- This church has a tremendous mission outreach -- both local, national and international mission focus -- great classes for college students/adult education, active outreach to the homeless (soup kitchen,) environmental stewardship group, participation for toddlers- teens, youth ministry, and a pastoral counseling center. But...

another possibility for you -- if you don't like the Presbyterian focus, is to consider "Willowcreek Church" -- this is a meg-church started by Bill Hybles many years ago.... It now has a northern branch that meets in close to Glenview -- I believe Northbrook. The central location -- which is indeed "MEGA" is located out in Algonquin, Illinois -- this is a bit far to travel on a regular basis from the city but you might want to check it out to see what you think.
No , it is not in Algonquin, its in South Barrington. It has been discussed already on this very thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs