Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM

306 posts, read 479,616 times

Advertisements

Posted a while ago and really appreciate the responses on Naperville. As many know I live in Geneva and have a friends daughter and young family who are moving to Naperville. They are going into the 203 school district. They are concerned about the elementary schools and don't know which one's are the best or the worse.

The only tool they have is the iirc website. They told me they like a few homes in the Willo way(sp?) neighborhood, but the elementary school is called mill street which scores very poor on the iirc in comparison to others.

Question is, are there better 203 elementary schools in Naperville than others, is Mill to avoid because of the iirc site?
Anyone from Naperville or anyone with insight it would be greatly appreciated and will relay it to them. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,635,093 times
Honestly, there isn't that much of a difference. The education received will be about the same regardless of where they go within the district--all of which will be great. Any "down" scores are due to individual students or income level rather than the quality of the education.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Yeah, you could rank them all but differences are more about sizes, location and what junior high they feed into. The curriculum is the same and it is hard to go wrong with Naperville schools. I am not a big fan of Mill Street school because I don't like where it is located. It is also a smaller school. I think it feeds into Washington Junior High.

I love the elementary school that my kids are at but not sure about the junior high. I would prefer Madison for junior high because it seems to be the best in 203 (some people would say Kennedy). These are just my opinions.

This is about the time that Chet chimes in with stats for all schools and tells us why we are all wrong so I will just leave it at that.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:46 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Not really wrong ...

The correlation between relative levels of affluence and school performance is borne out -- attendance area for Mill includes some more affordable housing...

It has been many years since I had friends in the D203 schools but I believe the district makes a concerted effort to have similar standards at all their schools. The variability in performance results is more statistically visible at the smaller schools but the overall desirability of all the schools is an offsetting factor -- some folks like the smaller overall enrollment...

My advice is always to try to buy in the most expensive neighborhood even if that means getting a smaller / less updated home. Of course if there just are no homes in your price range available in the priciest part of town that fit your needs then you need to weigh all the trade offs a bit more carefully...

Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The correlation between relative levels of affluence and school performance is borne out -- attendance area for Mill includes some more affordable housing...

It has been many years since I had friends in the D203 schools but I believe the district makes a concerted effort to have similar standards at all their schools. The variability in performance results is more statistically visible at the smaller schools but the overall desirability of all the schools is an offsetting factor -- some folks like the smaller overall enrollment...

My advice is always to try to buy in the most expensive neighborhood even if that means getting a smaller / less updated home. Of course if there just are no homes in your price range available in the priciest part of town that fit your needs then you need to weigh all the trade offs a bit more carefully...

Yes....this.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:42 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
The Naperville school district is a good district and you will not see much of a difference from school to school, they are all pretty highly regarded and is a top district in the area.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 PM

81 posts, read 287,898 times
We weren't here for elementary but we're pretty happy with Kennedy and thrilled with North. One thing about test scores in jr. high in 203 is that Kennedy is the magnet for the gifted program. Each school has a Project Idea (PI) program but Kennedy has the PI+. I don't know how it works exactly but I think the real exceptional kids zoned to the other jr. high schools can attend Kennedy, they form their own "team" (in the bigger Jr. highs, they break down each grade level into teams so your kid doesn't get overwhelmed by the numbers) and as a result the overall test scores are a bit higher compared to other schools.

Double checking this on the 203 website, it seems there are magnet schools for the elementary as well for gifted, I'm sure that swings the test scores a bit there too.

Bottom line, you'd have to try hard to find a bad school here. The occasional bad teacher, possibly, but overall a great system.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:58 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
My son is in the magnet school here in Texas. I assume he would have to test to get into the TAG program in Napersville?

Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
My son is in the magnet school here in Texas. I assume he would have to test to get into the TAG program in Napersville?

I would contact the district office for that information. My daughter is in the PI program and it is based on the COGAT scores, teacher evaluation, and some other items on a matrix that they have. I don't know how it would work for students coming into the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs