U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 PM

4 posts, read 11,455 times

Advertisements

We used to live in Lincoln Park in Chicago and then moved out to Boston suburbs about 3 years ago. Now we're moving back to Chicagoland. My husband will be commuting to downtown (about 3 blocks from the train station) and I will be staying at home with our two little kids (3 years and 3 mos). We're looking for an area that is safe and child-friendly. Where $500K can buy you a nice 3-4 bdrm, 2500-3000 sq. ft house and where we'll be surrounded by people who are in the same age group (30s) and same financial boat as we are (income around $150-200K). Ideally, we would love a downtown that has cute shops and restaurants and it would be super nice if we could afford to live close enough that we could walk to downtown. My parents live in Aurora so we've been looking at the western burbs, but just want to make sure we're not overlooking anything. I think we would love at town like Evanston (north of city), but that's just so pricey. We definitely do want a slightly affluent feel to the area - those towns tend to attract the stores where we like to shop. Any ideas?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,243,557 times
Sounds like Naperville would be a good fit for you. It has all the things you are looking for. It has a wonderful downtown with cute shops and great restaurants, and you would be near your parents in Aurora.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 AM

474 posts, read 2,379,678 times
Default Best Choice Suggested By Sbd78

I also agree with 'SBD - 78' in the choice of Naperville. And so let me add a few more comments.

A very good choice is a railroad community and Naperville is one of them. So is Aurora and both are on the Burlington Northern / Santa Fe RR system.

So ask yourself, "What happens if hubby has to head for home - - fast - - during a family emergency"? Perhaps something 'wrong' with your Aurora family members? Or perhaps your own family?

And perhaps the price of gasoline soars to out of site prices? Then you would want to live in a railroad community.

Is your husband's job closer to downtown Chicago's Olgivie Station? Or is it closer to Union Station? These are minor points since both stations in downtown Chicago are about four blocks apart.

So ask yourself the question as to 'who is more at risk' during an emergency'? Your own family with maybe kids or your Aurora parents?

One other thing to definetly consider is to rent for one year before buying. Why? Because it appears that hubby is on a roller coaster career. And also the Chicago area houses will soon reduce in asking prices - - as much as 40%. So you would not want to invest into a $500K house now and then become 'upside - down' with your mortgage in the future.

So with all of this in mind, Wheaton could also be a good choice for you (?) Or even Batavia, IL (?)

In this thread, I am only trying to fine tune your choices since to reiterate, SBD78 has already stated your best choice as Naperville, IL.

Carter Glass

Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM

2,467 posts, read 11,543,234 times
I would really consider Naperville. Of those burbs, it has a very happening nightlife, lots of nice restaurants), is affluent, has a metra stop and great schools.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 71,387,160 times
Geneva, St. Charles, Bartlett, Wasco, Wayne, Naperville, Plainfield, Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Winfield, Lombard, Hinsdale, Schaumburg, Warrenville, etc, would probably fit your bill.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM

356 posts, read 433,688 times
Nice downtowns-- Elmhurst, Hinsdale, LaGrange, Wheaton, Downers Grove, & Glen Ellyn
Come check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or