Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,626,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Sounds like LK has been shopping the same areas! There are some notable numeric differnces in performance of the schools and I hope that anyone shopping in the area does not just check out the visual appeal of the schools, long term value is likely to remain signficantly better in LT... The biggest trade off right now is the cost per square foot is considerably lower in Tinely Park.
You know it! I've wanted to move to La Grange for years, and have friends there. Just. Can't. Find. The. Right. House.

With the current low inventory on the market, I should be telling people the town sucks to ward off competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 27,929 times
This is true. The agent I was speaking to said that the low inventory is creating multiple bids (6-8 in one open house within a few hours). This does not give me inspiration!

However this does make me think that perhaps the extra cost in homes is worth it and will have much better resale possibilities since the homes in Tinley are sitting on the market for an average of over 100 days.

I know they areas are not comparable to most but in my situation that number makes a big difference since we are looking at the two.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,626,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amac7983 View Post
This is true. The agent I was speaking to said that the low inventory is creating multiple bids (6-8 in one open house within a few hours). This does not give me inspiration!
Yes, I would say this jives with my experience so far this year. Realtors are starting to ratchet up prices, but the overpriced homes still sit on the market. Anything that is appropriately priced sells quickly.

Eventually the holdouts may get their way and prices will rise, but many analysts think this is only a temporary run-up. I'm willing to wait and see, and don't want to over pay.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM

217 posts, read 577,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Tinley is nice but very car centric and actually pretty far from downtown Chicago, and you usually even have to drive to the commuter train, where parking is competitive. It's one of the more distant "bedroom" communities you're going to find. But, if you don't mind driving everywhere and a longish commute to the Loop, it isn't bad. Just check the school situation of where you choose. One part is served by Andrews HS. The other by Tinley Park High. The former is considered more desirable.
Parking at the Metra 80th ave station is not a problem, always spots available all day long. You are also wrong in saying TPHS is more desirable than Andrew. If you live in Tinley Park you can be in Andrew, Tinley park, Sandburg, Rich, or Lincolnway high school districts.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:50 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
Parking at the Metra 80th ave station is not a problem, always spots available all day long. You are also wrong in saying TPHS is more desirable than Andrew. If you live in Tinley Park you can be in Andrew, Tinley park, Sandburg, Rich, or Lincolnway high school districts.
And Hillcrest High School in Country Club Hills......

Old 04-23-2013, 11:10 PM

urza you got me on Hillcrest, where do they draw from in TP?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
urza you got me on Hillcrest, where do they draw from in TP?
Nowhere. I think I was wrong.

I just looked up the boundaries on the Hillcrest High School website and the Tinley Park boundaries on Google Maps. And nah, I was definitely wrong. It does look like the eastern fringes of Oak Forest over by 167th are zoned into Hillcrest though. There aren't very many homes over there though..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM

OK, I tried to help the OP and told them that TPHS & Andrew were the high schools in town but I for got that there are other high schools you can go to if you live in Tinley Park.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 8,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Nowhere. I think I was wrong.

I just looked up the boundaries on the Hillcrest High School website and the Tinley Park boundaries on Google Maps. And nah, I was definitely wrong. It does look like the eastern fringes of Oak Forest over by 167th are zoned into Hillcrest though. There aren't very many homes over there though..
By far the wealthiest and most expensive neighborhood in Tinley Park is the new subdivision surrounding the Odyssey Country Club. There are lots of million dollar homes in that subdivision. Which is the only neighborhood in tinley park with a substantial number of million dollar homes. And that entire subdivision is within the Rich Central High School district.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 AM

Yeah, If you want to live with every person from the southside who ever won the lotto feel free to live there. Oh yeah there are a few washed up sports stars and they mommas living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs