U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 PM

3 posts, read 8,534 times
Default Finding Housing

I was evicted in 2004. I didn't know how to get out of the lease but my bathtub was 1/2 full of sewage all the time and it got really annoying calling the city, he'd fix the issue, and 2 days later I was battling it all over again. I had the money and I decided to move. Now my kids father has left me and my 2 kids and I called some low income housing organizations that have openings. I was denied by a 2nd low income housing organization because I was victim of domestic violence and was told that allowing me to move into the facility would a pose a risk to other tenants.

I found out that due to my eviction I cannot get low income housing for the next 2 years. Which means I don't know where I'll live and to top it off I cannot afford more than $600 a month and put food on the table. The apartments I looked at were 2 bedrooms, but its frustrating that I didn't qualify for an apartment. I have no family and cannot find a co-signer for an apartment like this, but it doesn't matter anyway because most won't accept one.

I was told I'll have to go homeless an wait about 4 months to get a homeless shelter program. I make $28,000 a year and cannot find what I need. I don't know what to do. Please help me I have a 5 year old and 1 year old and will be facing eviction again if I don't move out soon.

Please email me @ jenntito2000@aol.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:50 PM

1,013 posts, read 3,096,168 times
What area are you in? I don't know much about the rules for qualifying for low income housing, but if you can afford $600 a month, I think you can find a studio for that in a decent area if you really search. I know a studio would be very tight with 2 kids, but it is a much better alternative to going homeless and would give you a roof over your head until you can get back on your feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs