Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,632,991 times

Advertisements

I been researching the CHI for a while, but haven't really researched da burbs. I live in NYC area and thinking bout moving. I like cities, but prefer to live next to them in the burbs. I'd like to understand the price difference and general comparisons between North Jers and the Chi burbs, as well as any other useful info. Is it better to live in the Chicago burbs if u have a car and use it a lot? Is traffic heavy from the burbs going into the city? Is there tolls? Would the whole prairie typa setup and landscape look weird to me coming from here? Are they diverse? How's the racial relations situation?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM

108 posts, read 134,953 times
One of the great aspects of living in a nearby 'burb of Chicago is that the public transporation is so good. Why would you want to use a car a lot if you had the opportunity to get downtown way quicker and not have to pay an arm and leg for parking?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April Goodwin View Post
One of the great aspects of living in a nearby 'burb of Chicago is that the public transporation is so good. Why would you want to use a car a lot if you had the opportunity to get downtown way quicker and not have to pay an arm and leg for parking?
well if i go to the city, i mite use it, but i also drive around a lot erywhere else plus depends where in the city i go, mass transit is not always convenient, i have 30 min train commute to midtown manhattan, but then wat if i need to go downtown or uptown or other boroughs then it becomes long and fd up so even here with all the traffic and bs, when i go out in nyc, i mostly go in my car cuz many times the transit will take longer, parking is def an issue, but u take the good wit the bad
i also jus like bein in my car by my self with my music blastin

Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I've seen your posts in the City section and I also saw that bargain apartment ad that you posted up in south suburban Oak Forest. Knowing you and your profile (young, hip hop loving Russian dude that lives in a NJ suburb pretty close to NYC), I think that you need to hone in on the suburbs that border the city, or actual city neighborhoods. That Oak Forest apartment looked very nice with great amenities, but I think you'd be bored out of your mind. Plus the Metra does NOT run 24/7, and is not super frequent except during rush hour. At least in Evanston, Oak Park, Forest Park, etc. you have access to BOTH the Metra & the CTA trains, and it won't be difficult to convince cabbies to bring you back to these areas after a long, drunken night out in the city either. You mentioned that you appreciate beautiful African-American women as well. For this reason, I think you should consider the Hyde Park neighborhood in the south side of the city & possibly the South Loop and maybe the West Loop as well. You just won't bump into them in as great numbers on the north side. For more of a hip hop / Brooklyn vibe (some say hipster but I say they've fled to grittier nabes & some yuppies have taken their place), take a peek at Bucktown & Wicker Park in the northwest side of the city as well. Actually now that I think about it, you should also consider the far north side city neighborhoods of Uptown, Edgewater & Rogers Park. Quite diverse & tons of bargains, and easier to keep a car compared to the neighborhoods closer to the Loop. Nightlife kind of lacks in these neighborhoods & you'll need to travel south most of the time, however.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I've seen your posts in the City section and I also saw that bargain apartment ad that you posted up in south suburban Oak Forest. Knowing you and your profile (young, hip hop loving Russian dude that lives in a NJ suburb pretty close to NYC), I think that you need to hone in on the suburbs that border the city, or actual city neighborhoods. That Oak Forest apartment looked very nice with great amenities, but I think you'd be bored out of your mind. Plus the Metra does NOT run 24/7, and is not super frequent except during rush hour. At least in Evanston, Oak Park, Forest Park, etc. you have access to BOTH the Metra & the CTA trains, and it won't be difficult to convince cabbies to bring you back to these areas after a long, drunken night out in the city either. You mentioned that you appreciate beautiful African-American women as well. For this reason, I think you should consider the Hyde Park neighborhood in the south side of the city & possibly the South Loop and maybe the West Loop as well. You just won't bump into them in as great numbers on the north side. For more of a hip hop / Brooklyn vibe (some say hipster but I say they've fled to grittier nabes & some yuppies have taken their place), take a peek at Bucktown & Wicker Park in the northwest side of the city as well. Actually now that I think about it, you should also consider the far north side city neighborhoods of Uptown, Edgewater & Rogers Park. Quite diverse & tons of bargains, and easier to keep a car compared to the neighborhoods closer to the Loop. Nightlife kind of lacks in these neighborhoods & you'll need to travel south most of the time, however.
kul
ill check it out

Old 05-14-2013, 01:52 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Also note that in Chicago, unlike New York City, it is quite possible to own a car in most neighborhoods of the city. Most people I know in the city own cars, though most don't use them to commute to work.

In pretty much any Chicago suburb, car ownership is the norm--and almost mandatory. But it is possible to live in many suburbs without a car, depending on proximity to other transit options and amenities.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM

ill have a car either way, no matta where i live

Old 05-16-2013, 11:36 AM

694 posts, read 2,015,604 times
"Prairie typa set up"? Lol. I saw more dirty prairies (meadowlands for instance) in North jersey off 95/NJ turnpike than you see within 30 miles or so of Chicago. The New York area and Chicago area are pretty similar. Flat, urban landscape ---and just like NY, you will find some country once you get 40-50 miles outside the city.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
If you work in downtown Chicago, and don't live close to the station, check out the parking at the station. Generally the suburbs with the best service have the worst parking. Are there tolls? On some roads, but there is not a monopoly, like in NY where all the tunnels and bridges charge it. There is always a way to get there without paying a toll, though it may be slower. Traffic is heavy both going into and out of the city during both rush periods. Illinois is very flat, though there are flatter places. Probably at least 150 miles before any mountains.

Last edited by pvande55; 05-16-2013 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: rush hour note.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
If you work in downtown Chicago, and don't live close to the station, check out the parking at the station. Generally the suburbs with the best service have the worst parking. Are there tolls? On some roads, but there is not a monopoly, like in NY where all the tunnels and bridges charge it. There is always a way to get there without paying a toll, though it may be slower. Traffic is heavy both going into and out of the city during both rush periods. Illinois is very flat, though there are flatter places. Probably at least 150 miles before any mountains.
o ok so if u live in the train towns, is it jus best to try to be walking distance to the trains? cuz round here parking is very hard or non existent in those kinda train towns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs