Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,333 times

Advertisements

Hello-
I need your help. I have been searching now for the past few months for suburbs to live around Chicago. My boyfriend and I are moving from Peoria. We are both from small towns and plan to work downtown. However I dont think living right in the downtown area is right for us. We dont have any children and we are just starting out. We can afford the suburbs however because we both have good steady flow of income. We have visited Naperville because friends live there. We found some great apartments. My concern is that it is a farther commute than what I would like. I know that is a great place to live, any other suggestions though? I just think its silly to live that far out when both of us would be commuting to work in the city.- Please help me! He seems pretty set on Napeville, so I really need advice-
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 12:42 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,080,535 times
If you are both young and working downtown, can I ask why neighborhoods in Chicago proper aren't a possibility?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:58 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,885,776 times
Yay, commuting! ugh!

I'll just reiterate: Naperville is too far from downtown to commute.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
If you are both young and working downtown, can I ask why neighborhoods in Chicago proper aren't a possibility?
I am ok with living in one of the neighborhoods however I am unfamilar with them- which ones are good, which ones we should stay away from- However I dont know if my boyfriend is thrilled with the idea of "living in Chicago" I think he would rather live in the burbs- that is most likely due to the fact that he hasnt been around Chicago a lot like I have either-

Old 11-04-2007, 05:45 PM

474 posts, read 2,533,949 times
Default A 'stop - Gap' That You Have To Determine

Hello Peoria Girl:

For a sensible transportation solution to your location of employment and also a consideration of a Chicago area community - - one of the most important things is to consider where you are going to live and how you are going to exactly get to you daily employment.

Your 'Stop - gap' is unknown because you do not state exactly where in Chicago both of you plan to work. So you have to determine the complete transporation gap between your employment location and the location of your residence.

Forget about driving to work on a daily basis from the suburbs to the City of Chicago area. Traffic is always a grand mess in the warmer months. And during severe winter weather, it is a six hour plus parking lot.

So first determine in your own mind exactly how you are going to get to work by using public transportation.

From Naperville, it would be the Burlington Northern / Santa Fe Railroad system. That railroad system will take you to the Union Station in downtown Chicago. However, if you work on the western edge of Chicago, you will have to also take a long bus ride.

If you choose a good Chicago neighborhood near the down town area, then most likely you will commute via the CTA El (elevated or subway) Trains... or you will use a CTA bus service.

Since I don't live in down town Chicago, there are many other fine people who can direct you to good down town neighborhoods like they are already suggesting.

In analytical sequence - - first choose your employment. Next choose a possible community for residence. Then figure out how you are going to commute via public transportation the entire distance and not just an estimated 'way'.

Carter Glass

Old 11-04-2007, 08:41 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,534,390 times
I think you and your boyfriend would love Chicago! I'm from a small town myself and moved to Chicago after college, lived there for 5 years and had the best time! (Now I've become a suburban Mommy.) The suburbs are good for having children and raising a family, but if you aren't to that stage in your life yet, definately move to the city. Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Bucktown, Wicker Park are all safe neighborhoods with great nightlife, restaurants, shopping, and transportion downtown to your jobs. Naperville is very nice as well, however very family oriented and in your situation, I think you would have more fun in the city.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:57 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,080,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I think you and your boyfriend would love Chicago! I'm from a small town myself and moved to Chicago after college, lived there for 5 years and had the best time! (Now I've become a suburban Mommy.) The suburbs are good for having children and raising a family, but if you aren't to that stage in your life yet, definately move to the city. Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Wrigleyville, Bucktown, Wicker Park are all safe neighborhoods with great nightlife, restaurants, shopping, and transportion downtown to your jobs. Naperville is very nice as well, however very family oriented and in your situation, I think you would have more fun in the city.
I'dd add Roscoe Village, Lincoln Square and Old Irving to that list as well. I'd strongly suggest before you guys make your move tohook up with a company like The Apartment People, and spend a weekend looking at housing in each of these neighborhoods to get an idea of what they are all like. Outside of the entertainment/shopping districts, all of these neighborhoods have quiet, tree-lined streets lined with single family homes along with 2 and 3 flats.

I think you might find that a move to (and commute from) the suburbs is unnecessary. But even you don't, at least you'll have a better understanding of the area prior to making the move.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,220,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Yay, commuting! ugh!

I'll just reiterate: Naperville is too far from downtown to commute.
Thats where the Metra comes into play.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:48 AM

356 posts, read 539,168 times
You really need to look at Lincoln Park, Rogers Park, Roscoe Village downtown. commute will zap 2 1/2 hours a day from you. Sellyour cars and live downtown.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:03 PM

137 posts, read 548,369 times
I'm with the masses. Why commute to the suburbs if you don't have to? I live in Naperville, and just moved my college aged kids to Chicago - South Loop. They're loving it! Baseball, Football, Hockey, Nightlife, Concerts, Theatre, Movie Sets, Dining, Shopping. Somewhere in there I think they're studying. What's not to like???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs