U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:26 PM

278 posts, read 363,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Lol. HFG(Homewood, Flossmoor, Glenwood) and the others, so boring.
Flossmoor and Glenwood yes, but Homewood not so much. Trust me, I'm not bias toward Homewood because I live there, I just see that they are doing many things in the downtown area to attract younger people. New lounges, local fitness classes, new brewery.

Close to the Metra if she wants to go downtown and if she wants to drive, it is a fairly easy drive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 03:40 PM

201 posts, read 197,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
This has to be one of the biggest, overblown stereotypes about Chicago (second to the perceived rampant crime in the whole city myth). I live in Lincoln Park, just a little south of Diversey and it is such hyperbole when people say there is no diversity and there is complete segregation here (or the north side). Walk down Diversey Street on a nice day and tell me there is no diversity and complete segregation. My apartment building in supposedly super homogeneous, white Lincoln Park has African Americans (on my hallway alone a young family a few doors down and a young professional female 2 doors down), several Asians, and a good amount of middle eastern families, mixed in with young professionals of all races. Again, stroll down Clarke St. in Lincoln Park/Lakeview and tell me you see no diversity. Go to my gym in Lincoln Park/Lakeview any evening when it's crowded and tell me you don't see diversity.

Is Lincoln Park and much of the North Side majority white? Yes. It's also not as diverse as many of us would like. But this picture people always try to make it out to be this white country club where any black person or minority will stick out like a sore thumb, is completely false. I asked a black friend of mine who lives in LP about this issue, given how much I read about it on here and other hearsay, and he laughed it off and said people always try to overblow things. He's lived in the neighborhood for 3 years and said he loves living in the neighborhood.

My point being, OP, start by exploring neighborhoods in your price range that are safe and have nice amenities, and actually visit the neighborhoods YOURSELF to see whether they have the diversity you're looking for. If you listen to the myths on this site, you will be limiting yourself from some very nice neighborhoods that I think you'll enjoy. You can easily get a feel about the diversity of a neighborhood by walking around it, going to the local stores, shopping areas, restaurants, and as you tour buildings. Decide for yourself and don't let people here decide for you.
Again, anecdotal evidence from your apartment building does not equate to statistical truth. The whole "but MY neighborhood has diversity" doesn't change what is the norm for the majority of the city. Also realize that north side neighborhoods along the lake (which are the most cited areas by people claiming Chicago's segregation is a myth) represent a very small percentage of the cities area. The majority of blocks in Chicago have a plurality of one race, often by a large margin. This doesn't mean people are racist or that someone of another race would "stick out like a sore thumb" as you put it, it's just the reality.

There is also a difference between diversity and integration. Even in many neighborhoods where there is significant diversity on paper, there is often far less actual integration in schools/churches/sports etc etc.

I certainly hope your experience becomes the norm for a greater percentage of Chicagoans, but outside of the popular transplant neighborhoods it is generally not that way. I also completely agree with you that the OP should start with neighborhoods that they can afford and like, because as I mentioned neighborhoods with single transplants are going to be the most diverse anyway, which is why many of their residents are oblivious to the segregation in much of Chicago.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 AM

6,419 posts, read 5,766,143 times
Single black girl, just ignore this discussion. There isn't a completely segregated neighborhood left in Chicago, not even Mount Greenwood. Live where you want. If you want a social life that includes other black people, you have the list of desirable integrated areas; go live in one of them; welcome to Chicago.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:23 AM

4,923 posts, read 4,340,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG312 View Post
<snip> You will be fine but please do your best to join groups and get involved in activities that you may love (MeetUp.Com is a great app that brings together different people around a shared activity), that's a great way to meet friends. Good luck on your search and let me know if you have any questions.
Yes, good luck on your search 'Single black girl Moving from San Diego to Chicago'!

Also CG312, you're so right about MeetUp.com being a great way to meet different people for common interests. I do hope SbgMfSD lets you know if she has any questions but maybe you want to send her a PM as she hasn't posted back to this thread since 2013. I don't think she moved here though...

Old 02-08-2017, 07:45 AM

4,480 posts, read 7,928,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
!?!?!?

Not sure what your definition of integrated is, but the VAST majority of the city, including the North and West sides, is highly segregated. That doesn't necessarily mean that anyone will be hostile or unwelcoming, but there are very few blocks in Chicago that truly have diversity among neighbors. Even Hyde Park is alot less integrated/diverse than people make it seem, especially in terms of education/social circles.

That said, Rogers Park and Uptown are two notable exceptions and I think both would be good options for the OP, both are very diverse. Having a car might be tricky though, but I think you could find something. Check out DOMU.com for apartments.

True this. It's amazing how the cheerleaders won't acknowledge it. North side integrated?? My butt, LOL! C'mon. Those areas are mostly white as snow.

Anyway, for African-American areas she might want to look at Bronzeville or Chatham, though like most Chicago neighborhoods they're not going to be particularly diverse. They are predominantly African-American. Hyde Park would also be an option. It's about 50% white and 30% black, and is surrounded by African-American neighborhoods.

Tri-Taylor is also more diverse than the average around here, and it borders East Garfield Park. East Garfield Park isn't nice but it is virtually all African-American.

The north eastern part of South Lawndale (Little Village) (vast majority Hispanic with some hipsters now) which bleeds slighty from North Lawndale (all African- American) could also be worth considering.

Last edited by BRU67; 02-08-2017 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Single black girl, just ignore this discussion. There isn't a completely segregated neighborhood left in Chicago, not even Mount Greenwood. Live where you want. If you want a social life that includes other black people, you have the list of desirable integrated areas; go live in one of them; welcome to Chicago.
It is 86% white.

When people say "Chicago is segregated", they are not saying that there are areas of 100% one race living in isolation, they are not saying that people are racist, hostile, or unwelcoming, and they are not saying that this phenomenon is actively encouraged or promoted.

What they are saying is that in Chicago, demographics change abruptly and extremely across individual streets, rail lines, bodies of water, etc. In most places on the north side, simply crossing the river will take you from a vastly white-majority neighborhood to a majority Latino neighborhood. Same with crossing western ave in Bucktown. Or crossing Cicero around North Ave (Latino/Black), or the train tracks south of Douglas Park (Black/Latino), the Wall between Fuller Park/Canaryville, ETC ETC ETC one could go on forever.

I don't think this should dictate where one lives, and as I said it does not equal hostility. OP, live where you want regardless of race, and apologies if the thread was derailed. But when people are completely oblivious to this fact because they live in a diverse apartment building or see people of other races in there gym by the lake, it looks ignorant and does not help encourage diversity in our city by simply ignoring an actual fact.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:03 PM

36 posts, read 30,340 times
South loop?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:59 AM

6,419 posts, read 5,766,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark&Addison View Post
It is 86% white.

When people say "Chicago is segregated", they are not saying that there are areas of 100% one race living in isolation, they are not saying that people are racist, hostile, or unwelcoming, and they are not saying that this phenomenon is actively encouraged or promoted.

What they are saying is that in Chicago, demographics change abruptly and extremely across individual streets, rail lines, bodies of water, etc. In most places on the north side, simply crossing the river will take you from a vastly white-majority neighborhood to a majority Latino neighborhood. Same with crossing western ave in Bucktown. Or crossing Cicero around North Ave (Latino/Black), or the train tracks south of Douglas Park (Black/Latino), the Wall between Fuller Park/Canaryville, ETC ETC ETC one could go on forever.

I don't think this should dictate where one lives, and as I said it does not equal hostility. OP, live where you want regardless of race, and apologies if the thread was derailed. But when people are completely oblivious to this fact because they live in a diverse apartment building or see people of other races in there gym by the lake, it looks ignorant and does not help encourage diversity in our city by simply ignoring an actual fact.
When people used to say "Chicago is segregated," they meant that a black person would be beaten up, or worse, for simply walking through a white neighborhood. Same thing in reverse. In some places, there were legal covenants requiring homeowners to sell to someone of the same race. In some places, a block could change from white to black within a year of the first black family moving in.

Times really have changed. I wouldn't recommend that a black person live in Mt. Greenwood but if it's 86% white, then it's 14% nonwhite (presumably Hispanic, but I don't know for sure).

If you mean that the ethnic composition of a neighborhood changes quickly when you cross certain streets or boundaries, say so. That is not segregation.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
When people used to say "Chicago is segregated," they meant that a black person would be beaten up, or worse, for simply walking through a white neighborhood. Same thing in reverse. In some places, there were legal covenants requiring homeowners to sell to someone of the same race. In some places, a block could change from white to black within a year of the first black family moving in.

Times really have changed. I wouldn't recommend that a black person live in Mt. Greenwood but if it's 86% white, then it's 14% nonwhite (presumably Hispanic, but I don't know for sure).

If you mean that the ethnic composition of a neighborhood changes quickly when you cross certain streets or boundaries, say so. That is not segregation.
Segregated means to be separate or apart. People of different races in Chicago live separately or apart to a greater degree than most similarly large cities. Thus, Chicago is generally a more racially segregated city.

It really is that simple.

"But back in the day, it was worse"
"But it used to mean _____"
"But my neighborhood/condo is VERY diverse"

None of those are relevant to the fact stated above.

It blows my mind that there are people who somehow believe that this is just some myth when CBS, WGN, the Trib, the Sun Times, Illinois Policy, Brown University, and many others have all come to the same conclusion. If you would like some links to learn more, please PM me. Lets encourage and promote diversity without being ignorant.

Here is a good yet slightly dated dot-matrix map of race distribution in Chicago:
https://cbschicago.files.wordpress.c...map-census.jpg

Old 03-09-2017, 01:59 PM

278 posts, read 363,447 times
Default Truth

Chicago is extremely segregated. Just drive around. People who are in denial about the current state of Chicago, do not get out and about.

They also need to look up the definition of segregation before coming to a conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs