Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:06 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Hmm, coulda fooled me...
It's not my fault if an simple question can't be understood...

Quote:
Folks that go out of their way to sensationalize "the risks" of what is almost without question the most desirable public high school in the state hardly seem to be aware of how effective school boards work for the service of all constituents.

In some towns there is defiantly less responsive attitude toward input. These types of school boards often get lost in a self absorbed cycle of deluded congratulations based more on their shared poltics.

When a BOE instead responds to real desires for improvement / high standards they must be able to weather the naysayers that feel such a focus somehow is unfair to those of less ambitious goals. What a shame.
While this is true at times, there are also real concerns that are brought up by parents and students that get ignored, and at times these individuals or groups are characterized as "pathetic, jealous nitpicking naysayers that are easy to dismiss", or something along those lines... usually by individuals that don't want to acknowledge the issues in school systems and communities that are typically considered "superior". This certainly IS a shame, as the experiences of parents and students alike can illuminate real issues.

You gave the impression that the BOE is in a better position to address issues, while students and parents aren't... So my question stands, for a 3rd time; since you are not a BOE member, are you going to stop criticizing educational institutions and making comparisons? Cause this is what you're saying the non-BOE public should do. It's really a simple question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:17 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
Default I answered this.

This thread is about the "risks of Wilmette" and in that context the questions about how priorities are set / resources are directed by the BOE and such have been answered.

As other issues that may be brought up by folks considering relocation to New Trier or other areas there is no reason to thing they should be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownperson View Post
It's not my fault if an simple question can't be understood...

While this is true at times, there are also real concerns that are brought up by parents and students that get ignored, and at times these individuals or groups are characterized as "pathetic, jealous nitpicking naysayers that are easy to dismiss", or something along those lines... usually by individuals that don't want to acknowledge the issues in school systems and communities that are typically considered "superior". This certainly IS a shame, as the experiences of parents and students alike can illuminate real issues.

You gave the impression that the BOE is in a better position to address issues, while students and parents aren't... So my question stands, for a 3rd time; since you are not a BOE member, are you going to stop criticizing educational institutions and making comparisons? Cause this is what you're saying the non-BOE public should do. It's really a simple question.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM

You re-explained the role of the BOE, and you characterizations of the publics criticisms, but you didn't answer whether you, being a non BOE member, would continue to critique schools, based on your belief that the BOE are the only qualified people to address these issues... so you answered a question that wasn't asked, but not the one that was.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 PM

Default Harassing will me will not help the OP

[quote=chitownperson;30803562]You re-explained the role of the BOE, and you characterizations of the publics criticisms, but you didn't answer whether you, being a non BOE member, would continue to critique schools, based on your belief that the BOE are the only qualified people to address these issues... so you answered a question that wasn't asked, but not the one that was.[/QUOTE

Show me where I said that only the elected school board is qualified to address these issues...

Sheesh.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 AM

114 posts, read 387,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Don't take my word for it - ask my kids. They are both registered at city-data.com and are both New Trier graduates.

I don't know anything about his kids. When assessing risks you have to say "what if" things don't work out exactly as planned. I didn't assume anything. Please be more careful with your responses.
It is unfortunate that your kids felt "less than" during their time at NT. My 3 graduates had very positive experiences there and my current Sr. is absolutely thriving at NT.

Clearly you did assume as you stated "the biggest risk of living in the New Trier catchment area is that your kids will be average to below average and not benefit from much of what New Trier has to offer" Perhaps if you stated "...your kids might be average to ....." your response would have made some sense.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,259,148 times
This is all quite funny. Why? PERSPECTIVE!! My daughter had a friend over this weekend. A cousin of another friend who lives in the area. He goes to CPS and is entering his senior year. I don't recall the current school but he transferred from Wells HS. He was stabbed in the back by another student? Why? Because he was talking to a girl who said she wasn't dating anybody and the guy who stabbed him claims she was his girlfriend. He plays sports all seasons and has plans to attend DePaul and major in psychology. I could be wrong, but seems like a decent kid trying to avoid the BS of gangs and life around Humboldt Park. He said, "kids around here have so many opportunities! It's too bad some of them don't realize how good they have it"

Oh and the kid is spending the summer here. His cousin helped him get a construction demo job through a friend in the area. He's saving money for college, but also wants to help his family move out of the city and into the suburbs so his younger siblings have a safer place to live with better schools. And we are still debating the "risk" of going to New Trier or Evanston! Really?!?! Please pass the Grey Poupon!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlest8 View Post
Clearly you did assume as you stated "the biggest risk of living in the New Trier catchment area is that your kids will be average to below average and not benefit from much of what New Trier has to offer" Perhaps if you stated "...your kids might be average to ....." your response would have made some sense.
No, I didn't. How could I possibly assume anything about a complete stranger's kids?

Try the following sentence on for size:
The biggest of risk of living in Kansas is that you will be killed by a tornado.
The biggest of risk of living in Kansas is that you might be killed by a tornado.

The two sentences have exactly the same meaning. The use of "risk...that" creates an implied subjunctive that is equally well expressed by "will" or "might." The explicit subjunctive is "that you be killed..." which sounds pretentious and silly.

Ask an English teacher...a New Trier English teacher.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Harassing will me will not help the OP

Show me where I said that only the elected school board is qualified to address these issues...

Sheesh.
No one is "harassing" you. It was a simple question with a yes or no answer, not difficult. Interesting how certain folks will get overly sensitive when they're called out on what they say. The inability or refusal to answer a simple question says it all.

Go check the post history if you want to know what you said.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 PM

Default Only a fool would misrepresent this...

Quote:
The "at risk" mindset typically addresses kids in truly awful circumstances -- horrible dysfunctional schools where ever the rare motivated student is unlikely to overcome the violence and chaos. That truly applies to no one in the New Trier district.

There is another aspect of this that is troubling if not dangerous -- parents or former students that bad mouth superior schools like New Trier risk further alienating the tax paying public that is bombarded with stories of Illinois dysfunctional poltical institutions. It is too easy for these angry citizens to lump together the high performance districts with the abject failures. Though the Board of Education does have elected trustees there is a real dedication to service on the BOE for high performing districts. Frankly students and parents are not well equipped to make comparisons of how one district addresses issues vs another. The best BOE members do spend considerable efforts researching the best way to deliver the finest education to all students and the inevitable tough choices that go along with these decisions are rarely widely known...
Anyone who reads this as other than an endorsement of high performing districts efforts to extend success to all students really must have another agenda.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:11 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Aside from the high cost of living there, the biggest problem is lack of access. Wilmette is convenient to the loop, OK for Schaumburg, not favorable to Oak Brook, forget Naperville. And I would hate to commute to Joliet from Wilmette, though no doubt many do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs