U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:25 PM
 
Location: earth
463 posts, read 478,150 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You apparently don't even see one tiny bit of irony in glibly admonishing smokers to take it somewhere where it's designated while simultaneously cheering on legislation that legislates most designated areas out of existence. There used to be places where smokers had a reasonable expectation that they could carry out their habit in peace without being hectored by the Smoking Nazis, but now even those places have been legislated out of existence. "Take it somewhere private" indeed. Except now there are virtually no private places left where smokers can smoke. On what basis does the public have a reasonable expectation that they can sit in a casino and plug a slot machine for hours in a smoke-free environment? If a privately owned bar wants to allow its patrons to smoke, what business is it of yours? It would, after all, be a "designated area" you so casually suggest smokers retreat to. That is, until that designated area is legislated out of existence, and then the next one, and then the next one, with your approval no less. Just be honest and say you don't care if smoking is banned outright.

Drover, you are a smoker I take it. I don't find it ironic one bit, that smokers should have to take it somewhere else, that isn't in the public realm. Destroy your lungs on your own, don't try to take everyone else with you for the sake of being obnoxious. Yea I know smokers used to have expectations that they could carry out their habit with out being hasseled by smoking nazi's... Movie theaters, resteraunts, bars, gas stations, play grounds,daycares, elevators, you name it I've seen smokers light up there. The fact of the matter is smokers will light up any where they can and most have little..... if any concern for folks who do not desire to inhale their poison fumes(This is evident by the hissy fit smokers are throwing because of the new laws). No one is saying don't smoke in your car, don't smoke in your house, don't smoke in your garage, don't smoke while walking your dog, dont smoke while sitting on the john, etc. People are simply saying don't smoke when you are in an enclosed space or by a door or window that might subjegate non smokers to unwanted poison fumes. It's not mine nor any other none smokers fault that you are so addicted to smokes that you simply can not wait to do it in a private setting. And a private business establishment does not have the right to lower the quality of health of its patrons. Much like a private corporation does not have the right to lower the saftey and quality of health for its factory workers.

And to answer your question, I have no problem with people smoking cancer sticks, as long as I don't have to be exposed to the smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,241,757 times
Reputation: 3739
Actually you can't smoke while walking your dogs, as that almost certainly would lead you into the less than 15 feet from entrances, windows and such world.

I personally am not a smoker, have never been more than an occasional social smoker, I am instead one of those crazy old school conservatives who don't like big government running my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: earth
463 posts, read 478,150 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Actually you can't smoke while walking your dogs, as that almost certainly would lead you into the less than 15 feet from entrances, windows and such world.

I personally am not a smoker, have never been more than an occasional social smoker, I am instead one of those crazy old school conservatives who don't like big government running my life.

So walk your dog 15 feet + from an entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,587 posts, read 22,420,630 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Drover, you are a smoker I take it. I don't find it ironic one bit, that smokers should have to take it somewhere else, that isn't in the public realm. Destroy your lungs on your own, don't try to take everyone else with you for the sake of being obnoxious. Yea I know smokers used to have expectations that they could carry out their habit with out being hasseled by smoking nazi's... Movie theaters, resteraunts, bars, gas stations, play grounds,daycares, elevators, you name it I've seen smokers light up there. The fact of the matter is smokers will light up any where they can and most have little..... if any concern for folks who do not desire to inhale their poison fumes(This is evident by the hissy fit smokers are throwing because of the new laws). No one is saying don't smoke in your car, don't smoke in your house, don't smoke in your garage, don't smoke while walking your dog, dont smoke while sitting on the john, etc. People are simply saying don't smoke when you are in an enclosed space or by a door or window that might subjegate non smokers to unwanted poison fumes. It's not mine nor any other none smokers fault that you are so addicted to smokes that you simply can not wait to do it in a private setting. And a private business establishment does not have the right to lower the quality of health of its patrons. Much like a private corporation does not have the right to lower the saftey and quality of health for its factory workers.

And to answer your question, I have no problem with people smoking cancer sticks, as long as I don't have to be exposed to the smoke.
cbs2chicago.com - New Smoking Ban Passes In Chicago (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/smoking.ban.beaches.2.377241.html - broken link)
No smoking while you are walking your dog... no smoking in parks.
And they does this in the name of trash...yeah right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM
 
Location: earth
463 posts, read 478,150 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
cbs2chicago.com - New Smoking Ban Passes In Chicago (http://cbs2chicago.com/local/smoking.ban.beaches.2.377241.html - broken link)
No smoking while you are walking your dog... no smoking in parks.
And they does this in the name of trash...yeah right.

So don't light your cig in a park. It's really not that hard. Your not supposed to drink beer at the park either. Am I complaining? No. Try lighting it after you leave the park grounds. Jeez you act like someone is trying to pull your teeth out. I think the thing that makes me laugh the most is, with this new problem smokers face... they completely ignore the most rational sollution. Which would be to spare your wallet, breath, teeth, health, and the health of others and simply quit smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,587 posts, read 22,420,630 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
So don't light your cig in a park. It's really not that hard. Your not supposed to drink beer at the park either. Am I complaining? No. Try lighting it after you leave the park grounds. Jeez you act like someone is trying to pull your teeth out. I think the thing that makes me laugh the most is, with this new problem smokers face... they completely ignore the most rational sollution. Which would be to spare your wallet, breath, teeth, health, and the health of others and simply quit smoking.
Last time I checked it is not illegal to buy or smoke cigarettes.
If the states are so worried about peoples health they would ban the manufacture and sale of cigarettes. They would make the Tobacco plant illegal. They wont do that, because they are to busy balancing their budgets off of smokers habits.

All we wanted was to be able to smoke in bars. It didnt even have to be every bar. I wouldnt have cared if 75% of bars were non-smoking. They could have allowed some bars to just be for smokers,occasional smokers,and people that dont mind being around smoke. But that is too easy isnt it?

Government has to impose its will over everyone at all times.Welcome to the U.S.S.A

Liking the oxycontin big boy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Tower Grove East, St. Louis, MO
12,064 posts, read 27,241,757 times
Reputation: 3739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
If the states are so worried about peoples health they would ban the manufacture and sale of cigarettes. They would make the Tobacco plant illegal. They wont do that, because they are to busy balancing their budgets off of smokers habits.
Someone pinned the nail on the freakin head. To those people who think big government gives a damn about you, I laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,587 posts, read 22,420,630 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I find it funny how much smokers feel they can ruin other peoples days and lives for that matter. I'm glad that smokers have to take their disgusting habit out side where it belongs. Welcome to the 21st century.
Welcome to 1984 and you embrace it like the bullet from a gun going through your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,587 posts, read 22,420,630 times
Reputation: 1761
Change the past alter photos----yesterday didnt exist
Today just as well be tomorrow
No more pain,no more sorrow
Big Brother is watching you
Try to remember the tune from your youth
Sing it to the young people when you get old
They will look upon you as a fool,senile, and demented
The tune never existed
All because of what your government has invented

Technology is great isnt it? Why believe anything from the government or media? Yet you do, you eat it all up. The man just smiled and knew in his heart he loved Big Brother. They sure did a great job altering this picture on the bottom.




Last edited by Avengerfire; 01-04-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Southeast Missouri
5,812 posts, read 16,243,236 times
Reputation: 3321
We demonize smokers too much. Personally, I think if you're outside you should have a right to smoke, and I think 15 feet from the door is a bit extreme. I don't like cigarette smoke, but people have a right to smoke, especially outside.

Seems like there are bigger things to worry about. I don't like the smell of beer, but if I go into a bar I'll probably smell it. Maybe I'm allergic to certain perfumes. Should someone be banned from spraying perfume in public? If someone has bad breath, should the government make them go home and brush their teeth? Should someone be fined for leaving their car running too long in a garage, causing toxic fumes to be released into the air? Should cows be fined for farting? That's hurting the atmosphere.

I know this sounds silly, but why ban smoking in public when we do so many things that can potentially hurt us. Should we wrap children in bubblewrap before letting them play on a playground? They could fall off the slide or out of the swing. But it makes them happy despite the risk. Maybe smoking makes some people happy, even if it is dangerous. Why should they be demonized for it? At least let them smoke outside. For whatever reason, some people are not good drivers. Should they still be allowed to drive? They may put others at risk. What about parents who feed their kids fast food all the time. That can cause obesity and liver disease. Should those parents face loosing their kids?

This may seem extreme, but where do we draw the line? Personally I think obesity is a bigger problem than smoking. Parents don't usually teach their kids to smoke, although sometimes they do influence their kids decisions. But we, although often not intentionally, teach our children what to eat through our own actions. You eat burgers and fries all the time and they probably will eventually pick up on it, too, even if you make them healthy now. So, why not punish or condemn obese parents who teach their kids unhealthy habits, like we sometimes look down on smoking parents for doing?

It just doesn't seem fair to demonize smokers when you've got a cheeseburger hanging out of your mouth and some plaque clogging up your ateries. Obesity is very dangerous, and probably more of an epidemic than smoking right now. Maybe 20-25% of the population smokes (I'm kind of guessing here). How much of the population eats fast food? How much of it is overweight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top