Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:27 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,956,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Couple more things:

Tell me how bad are the winters? Really? Can I layer my way to comfort if I know the cold is coming?
I have lived here my whole life, so keep that in mind, but I don't think the winters here are that bad. Wearing layers is key, definitely. I think it also really depends on your commute; I walk about a mile each way to get to work and I don't wear anything special to do that. I just wear pants and a sweater/jacket under my coat in the winters. I'll usually use a scarf and sometimes a hat, but rarely gloves unless I'm shoveling or something. Really, you just get used to the weather.

Quote:
Also, how hard of a life is it? Let's say I work downtown, live in Naperville or Evanston, is it an exhausting commute day? Is life as fast and grueling as it is in NYC>
I don't think life in this area is hard. If you can manage to walk to the Metra station from your house commuting from pretty far out isn't bad. I personally find driving more stressful than walking/public transit and the times I have had to drive to a train station have made for a more stressful commute than when I've been able to walk.

When I lived in Evanston and now in Elmhurst I haven't found the commuting aspect of my day to be at all stressful. I can't really imagine a commute that would be a lot easier than what I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 01:22 AM

12,734 posts, read 9,376,175 times
I had decided on Denver, but now I'm torn. I really want to live around Chicago.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,956,823 times
Quote:
I had decided on Denver, but now I'm torn. I really want to live around Chicago.
Depends on if you want to do a lot of skiing or live by a great big lake. I have a cousin in the Denver burbs. It's often more mild there in the winter, but I've heard air pollution can be bad because the mountains can trap air over the city.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,879,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Depends on if you want to do a lot of skiing or live by a great big lake. I have a cousin in the Denver burbs. It's often more mild there in the winter, but I've heard air pollution can be bad because the mountains can trap air over the city.
Denver has made great strides in cleaning up the " bowl" effect air quality problems. So have several other cities around the Country. The problem is there is just SO much they can do , other than limit traffic at different times of the day, like is now happening in China......Chicago has its problems also. I live in a near perfect place of clean air, when I go to Chicago my eyes water, get a nasal blockage, cough increase , and a swelling of all extremities .A large part of Chicago's air problems come from NW Indiana ( Nature knows no boundaries ) as well as from within.

Chicago , being in the Mid-West can, will , get some terrible winter storms from time to time, and the cold coming off the Lake driven by onshore winds over the ice bound surfaces can be brutal. Furthermore the canyons formed of giant skyscrapers act as a funnel most everywhere downtown near the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs