Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times

Advertisements

Oh -ok,,,,its "prestigious",,,but it aint the North shore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Oh -ok,,,,its "prestigious",,,but it aint the North shore
Agreed. The only difference is the money (new and old), both of which have lots of it. Most of Naperville's mansions are near downtown and the results of teardowns, but there are also established old-money areas too, especially just east of downtown. The north shore has magnificent old mansions too, and more of them.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:05 PM

463 posts, read 646,669 times
It's funny... this whole new money v old money thing. What's new money to some is old money to others.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,644 times
What baffles me is how low the median household incomes are for any of these areas we call "prestigous" I have a HH income of 150k ...and I don't feel that it's a high income. I am surprised that the median incomes in these towns aren't over 250k or 300k.

Highland Park $103,600
Oak Brook $152,300
Hinsdale $108,700
Wilmette $113,800.00

Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Well, if you want to go that far, according to the definition that Don Vito supplied, it most certainly applies to Naperville. The town is highly reputed and honored. Go hike your butt to, say, Boulder, Colorado and mention Naperville and folks will recognize the name. Mention Kenilworth and theyll scratch their heads. In fact, by the definition of the word, Naperville seems just as prestigious as the north shore 'burbs, maybe even more so because its definitely more honored by more institutions.
Again. Your thinking has several errors. I'm sure that I could "hike my butt" to Boulder, Colorado and mention the other Chicago suburb of Gary, Indiana and everyone would know what I mean. They would also know the city of Compton, California too. Just because everyone recognizes a name, doesn't make it a good thing. Plus, when has Kenilworth ever been called Kenilworth to someone outside of the Chicago area. I'm sure that the people in Boulder would scratch their heads too. But that is why the whole area is called by its collective name of the North Shore. A location that is know throughout the country as a haven for the very wealthy and prestigious. I question whether you are that aware of the happenings in Chicagoland as you speak of. I don't currently reside there, and seem to know more than some of things that you speak of.

Don Vito's definition is correct to an extent, but the way you use the term is misleading. Yes, Naperville has been honored by several institutions, but that does not begin to say that it has the title of prestigious yet. You forget that in the same magazine that listed Naperville as being so highly honored, just down the page was Aurora. Now, that doesn't sound very 'real' to me. The 'real' and less populated, North Shore towns have just as good schools that are far smaller, just as safe if not more so, more green space, better streets, far less congestion, better community feel, great shopping, and easier access to Chicago than Naperville. But the one thing that does knock them down on points when it comes to these polls is money. Most people that I know, family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers, could afford the average Naperville or St. Charles home and not worry about the affording it. But I don't really know I single person that could honestly, keep their same monthly income, and move to Glencoe. I'm glad that you seem to know so many that could, but most people don't. Naperville is still affordable in many ways. The North Shore is not. You seem to think that Naperville has graduated into the same category as Scottsdale, Arizona, or Madison, Wisconsin. Just because Naperville is huge, does not keep it from being a suburb of a major metro area. You should be comparing it to places like Carmel, Indiana. Not places that are known the world over as the galmorous lifestyle that is protrayed in Scottsdale. Like I have said before, towns like St. Charles seem to come a dime a dozen in many metro area. Kenilworth's do not! That is the difference!

Old 11-27-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
You seem to think that Naperville has graduated into the same category as Scottsdale, Arizona, or Madison, Wisconsin.
Im through arguing with you, this is getting ridiculous. I will say, however, that Naperville IS just as nice as Scottsdale is. In fact the two cities are strikingly similar. Both have a old core, that is being revitalized, both have new and fancy outer edges, both have lively downtowns and high income rates (which last time I checked Napervillians earn more $$$). However, Scottsdale is much larger than Naperville, so thats not fair to compare them, really. Naperville does hold its own, and it is a great city. And besides, there are LOTS of ex-Napervillians living in Scottsdale, taking their money with them and building mansions down there too. My old boss is one of them, as are a family in my FIL's neighborhood. Scottsdale is made up of rich northerners, easterners and Californians, not much else.

One more thing, Scottsdale was finally nominated by CNN as a 10-best city to live in, something Naperville is also (and for years before it, too). I know Scottsdale very well, I go there every year thank you very much. The only truly prestigious areas of Scottsdale are way up north (Troon North area, Pinnacle Peak area). The rest of the city is very, very comparable to Naperville, only with cacti and big hills.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:21 PM

Agreed. This topic has become old, and I think that it is very safe to say that according the general body of this forum, the North Shore is still the most prestigious place in Chicagoland. I'll let you have your delusions about comparing Scottsdale to Naperville though. I know what the people from Scottsdale would say about that one. I also know, again, that no one thinks of Naperville as glamorous. Soccer-mom heaven yes, prestigious or glamorous no. But then again, this is about the North Shore, and not Scottsdale for goodness sake. I had no idea that by simply mentioning a city I would open up a whole new argument. GEEEESHH! Would someone else shed some light on the original topic and not on a city across the country!

Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Agreed. This topic has become old, and I think that it is very safe to say that according the general body of this forum, the North Shore is still the most prestigious place in Chicagoland. I'll let you have your delusions about comparing Scottsdale to Naperville though. I know what the people from Scottsdale would say about that one. I also know, again, that no one thinks of Naperville as glamorous. Soccer-mom heaven yes, prestigious or glamorous no. But then again, this is about the North Shore, and not Scottsdale for goodness sake. I had no idea that by simply mentioning a city I would open up a whole new argument. GEEEESHH! Would someone else shed some light on the original topic and not on a city across the country!
Ill agree that the north shore is regarded as prestigious. There. Happy?

But if you think Scottsdale is nothing but multi-million dollar homes, youve got another thing coming. Its apparent youve never been there, or else you would see the striking similarities between it and Naperville (as far as citizens and lifestyles). Most of Scottsdale is made up of 400 and 500K homes, same as in Naperville. There are chunks of town that are made up of million dollar homes, same as Naperville. Then there are the ultra-exclusive chunks made up of multi-million dollar homes, same as Naperville. There are also parts of Scottsdale (Shea Blvd area) that are very old and not desireable whatsoever. Like I said earlier, the prestigious parts of town are up north, especially north of the 101. Other than that, Scottsdale is strip malls (with the same shops we have here), parking lots, business corridors, small parks, etc. Now if you really knew Arizona, you would have said that Naperville is no Paradise Valley, to which I would have agreed completely. But Naperville is very similar to Scottsdale, mark my words. Also, Scottsdale is the supreme definition of soccer-mom heaven. The only difference is there they drive Yukons with 24" rims, and here they drive Odysseys (with the occasional Suburban with bling).

Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 PM

What does Scottsdale, Arizona have to do with anything? This is about whether the North Shore is still as prestigious is it has always been. The answer is yes. What does a city in the middle of the desert have to do with anything in Illinois?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,644 times
NORTH SHORE--losing ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
It's still most expensive place in the area, but losing ground rapidly to Dupage as seen below.

Here is how the home prices have changed (data from Natl assoc of Realtors, posted in Chicago Magizine, Oct )

% Change in sale price since 1994

North Suburbs
Barrington 94.52%
Buffalo Grove 107.91%
Lake Forest 126.86%
Lake Zurich 100.46%
Libertyville 135.91%
Long Grove 91.23%
Wilmette 158.73%
Winnetka 155.65%
Lincolnshire 95.02%

Dupage
Burr Ridge 156.77%
Clarendon Hills 302.24%
Downers Grove 167.76%
Elmhurst 216.41%
Glen Ellyn 161.46%
Hinsdale 220.56%
Itasca 169.72%
Western Springs 149.38%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs