U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 08:17 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,950,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
What does Scottsdale, Arizona have to do with anything? This is about whether the North Shore is still as prestigious is it has always been. The answer is yes. What does a city in the middle of the desert have to do with anything in Illinois?
And I quote you: "You seem to think that Naperville has graduated into the same category as Scottsdale, Arizona, or Madison, Wisconsin. Just because Naperville is huge, does not keep it from being a suburb of a major metro area. You should be comparing it to places like Carmel, Indiana. Not places that are known the world over as the galmorous lifestyle that is protrayed in Scottsdale."

You were saying?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 09:03 AM

356 posts, read 377,149 times
[quote=Steve-o;2108255]And I quote you: "You seem to think that Naperville has graduated into the same category as Scottsdale, Arizona, or Madison, Wisconsin. Just because Naperville is huge, does not keep it from being a suburb of a major metro area. You should be comparing it to places like Carmel, Indiana. Not places that are known the world over as the galmorous lifestyle that is protrayed in Scottsdale."

I perceive Naperville to be to Chicago as to what Alpharetta is to Atlanta, Alexandria is too Wastington DC, or Brentwood is to Nashville, or Town & Country is to St. Louis.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:11 AM

[quote=Windy City John;2108694]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
And I quote you: "You seem to think that Naperville has graduated into the same category as Scottsdale, Arizona, or Madison, Wisconsin. Just because Naperville is huge, does not keep it from being a suburb of a major metro area. You should be comparing it to places like Carmel, Indiana. Not places that are known the world over as the galmorous lifestyle that is protrayed in Scottsdale."

I perceive Naperville to be to Chicago as to what Alpharetta is to Atlanta, Alexandria is too Wastington DC, or Brentwood is to Nashville, or Town & Country is to St. Louis.
Thats pretty fair and correct, Id agree with that.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM

1,654 posts, read 6,603,294 times
Well, I'm from lowly Alabama and even I know about Kenilworth and Lake Forest. I suppose it's easier coming from a crappy state where everyone knows the rich people live in Mountain Brook.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:27 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,085,097 times
lol...haha. Thanks for the laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well, I'm from lowly Alabama and even I know about Kenilworth and Lake Forest. I suppose it's easier coming from a crappy state where everyone knows the rich people live in Mountain Brook.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:10 PM

2,071 posts, read 4,001,371 times
Some of you may be interested in the following blog entry on high-income Chicago suburbs:

Racial Segregation in Wealthy Suburban Chicago Neighborhoods | The Higley 1000

The blogger is an urban geographer who works in Alabama, but who was born and raised in Wisconsin, and lived in Chicago as a young adult. He has put together his version of a list of the 1000 wealthiest communities in the U.S. (based on latest census data and estimates).

Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,162,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
Some of you may be interested in the following blog entry on high-income Chicago suburbs:

Racial Segregation in Wealthy Suburban Chicago Neighborhoods | The Higley 1000

The blogger is an urban geographer who works in Alabama, but who was born and raised in Wisconsin, and lived in Chicago as a young adult. He has put together his version of a list of the 1000 wealthiest communities in the U.S. (based on latest census data and estimates).
Excellent. He also has things to say re burbs of Detroit and Indianapolis that I liked reading. I just requested the library to pull his book for me.
Ah, Higley was a PhD student at UIUC, just like me.

Last edited by M TYPE X; 11-28-2007 at 09:59 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 PM

269 posts, read 972,870 times
Quote:

You were saying?
I mentioned Scottsdale twice, and only because that is what you seemed to put Naperville in the same category of. I didn't know that by briefly mentioning a city that it deserved a lengthy TWO responses. I don't know how city-data.com deals with this, but in other blog spots that is considered hijacking a thread.

Oh, and yes I have been to Scottsdale many times. I am well aware of the town, since we actually looked into moving into the extreme north end. I also am aware that your averge Scottsdale resident would be ashamed to hear their city being compared to a sprawling Illinois suburban city that doesn't even have such a common, big American city staple, as a mall.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
I also am aware that your averge Scottsdale resident would be ashamed to hear their city being compared to a sprawling Illinois suburban city that doesn't even have such a common, big American city staple, as a mall.
Dont confuse north Scottsdale with the rest of the city, most of Scottsdale is comprised of 3-600K homes, same as Naperville. Fact is, Scottsdale is WAY more sprawling than Naperville. Fact also is that most of Scottsdale is strip malls, upper class subdivisions, etc, same as Naperville. North Scottsdale is where the big money is at, same as central Naperville. Once again, the similarities between the two are more than you care to realize. All I can deduce from your statements is that youre either A) unfamiliar with Naperville or B) unfamiliar with Scottsdale.

And since when does having a mall make a big American city more important? Naperville doesnt need a mall, its boundaries practically touch one (Fox Valley Mall)!!

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 PM

269 posts, read 972,870 times
Quote:
Dont confuse north Scottsdale with the rest of the city, most of Scottsdale is comprised of 3-600K homes, same as Naperville. Fact is, Scottsdale is WAY more sprawling than Naperville. Fact also is that most of Scottsdale is strip malls, upper class subdivisions, etc, same as Naperville. North Scottsdale is where the big money is at, same as central Naperville. Once again, the similarities between the two are more than you care to realize. All I can deduce from your statements is that youre either A) unfamiliar with Naperville or B) unfamiliar with Scottsdale.

And since when does having a mall make a big American city more important? Naperville doesnt need a mall, its boundaries practically touch one (Fox Valley Mall)!!
How do you deduce that I am unfamiliar with Naperville or Scottsdale? I used to live in Chicagoland close to Naperville and almost bought a house in Scottsdale. I am going to show respect for the other forum members here and for the original poster by not following you on this rediculous subject that has nothing to do with the North Shore. Back on subject though, the fact that Naperville does not have a mall, or somewhat of a skyline, or a major university, or anything else for that matter besides houses and schools, only further shows how absurd it is to believe that Naperville is anywhere close to the prestigious category. Granted that the North Shore towns have little in the way of this, but then again they are small and most are landlocked for the most part. With as much growth and success as Naperville has had, it seems that it should have something in this regard to show this off. Shouldn't the best city in the midwest have more than this? Shouldn't the second largest city in Illinois have something more than that? Ok, so there is a nice downtown. That is all well and good, but shouldn't a city with over 150K people have something more than a downtown. Just because a town borders something doesn't mean that it was the success of that town that allowed for it to happen. If I remember right, the Fox Valley Mall is in Aurora. Would you want the crime from Aurora and Bolingbrook to be considered part of Naperville? I didn't think so. Therefore, you can't put claim to something that does not reside in your city, while leaving the rest of it out. This has become old. I'm gald you have such glad feelings towards this city. But don't you think you are taking it a bit over board? Enough already. If you want to keep debating the North Shore that is fine. But please, do not keep mentioning Scottsdale, Arizona. Nice place, but nothing to do with this.

Last edited by BUalumni; 11-29-2007 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs