U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 AM

101 posts, read 338,754 times

Advertisements

Is Elgin perfect? No.

But, overall, it has a lot going for it. The mayor has done wonders for the city.
Incredible library, Hemmems Auditorium, Good city parks, a downtown on the comeback.

I believe crime is right at the national average the last 5 years. Adequate city services in my opinion.

It really depends where in the city you are talking about. The near-downtown East side of the river is the problematic area. U-46 school district is a problem.

Is it better than NC? Can't say.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,854 times
Elgin really has a lot going for it. As many posters here have remarked, there are plenty of cultural attractions, easy access to public transportation as well as highways, the parks are more and more plentiful and beautiful each (take it from someone who walks past many almost every day during my lunch-time walks) and there are plenty of housing options.

If you're an active adult, strongly consider Del Webb's Edgewater community. Learn more at their new blog at [url=http://delwebbedgewater.wordpress.com]Del Webb’s Edgewater Blog[/url].

Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 AM

24 posts, read 96,663 times
Default Welcome to the area! I'm also from Raleigh.

We moved to Plainfield a year and a half ago. We were in KY for 2 years but Raleigh before that. All my family still lives there. Cost of living is higher here. If you decide to buy a house later you will be surprised by the taxes. They doubled per year from what we had payed in Lexington and Raleigh.

I also noticed that groceries were higher. I started out shopping at Jewel and I could see a big difference. I now shop at Walmart and that has helped.

Our gas bill has actually been lower. I can tell a big difference in the way the houses are built here. Much better insulated. Not sure if it is the same for apartments.

Hope you enjoy living here. We love having so many choices on things to do but I do miss the scenery. It's very flat with few trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs