Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 03:39 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

This route sees frequent train service and it would be really be helpful if Illinois and Wisconsin work together and electrify this stretch of railway. This project should be carried out similar to the way Amtrak developed the Keystone Corridor. Hiawatha Service maximum speeds would increase to 115 mph, and travel times could be cut down from 90 minutes to 55.

Due to the presence of double stack freights and super liners, I propose a high rise cantanery similar to the one being done by Indian railways along electrified freight corridors to carry double stacks. This project is currently being carried out due to funds provided by japan. Read this Article to find out more:

http://www.rdso.indianrailways.gov.i...ner%281%29.pdf

I feel that the USA most definitely can implement this technology to electrify high density rail transportation corridors .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 05:35 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Electrification is a costly endeavor, though sometimes justified if tunnels exist or heavy traffic makes it economical. Of course locomotives are a weak link. An electric locomotive can only go as far as the catenary extends. A hybrid locomotive (some have been built) with a diesel engine would solve this If some investors could be persuaded to bankroll it, why not?

Last edited by pvande55; 10-18-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: Add locomotive note

Old 10-19-2013, 10:04 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
I agree that this stretch could benefit from electrification. I've been on the Keystone in Pennsylvania that you've mentioned and I loved how fast that thing took passengers from the hilly Amish paradises of PA to the heart of Philly & NYC. Chicago to Milwaukee is a much shorter stretch of track and most of the terrain is urban or suburban. Moreso than the Harrisburg (PA) to Philly route I'd argue. Hiawatha should go for electrification and add the proposed Lake Forest stop so that Lake County finally has an Amtrak stop. Make sure that operations don't interfere with Metra either. And definitely add more frequencies and make it possible for a Milwaukee person to return from Chicago late-night, and vice-versa. I would love to see this happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
This route sees frequent train service and it would be really be helpful if Illinois and Wisconsin work together and electrify this stretch of railway. This project should be carried out similar to the way Amtrak developed the Keystone Corridor. Hiawatha Service maximum speeds would increase to 115 mph, and travel times could be cut down from 90 minutes to 55.

Due to the presence of double stack freights and super liners, I propose a high rise cantanery similar to the one being done by Indian railways along electrified freight corridors to carry double stacks. This project is currently being carried out due to funds provided by japan. Read this Article to find out more:

http://www.rdso.indianrailways.gov.i...ner%281%29.pdf

I feel that the USA most definitely can implement this technology to electrify high density rail transportation corridors .

Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I agree that this stretch could benefit from electrification. I've been on the Keystone in Pennsylvania that you've mentioned and I loved how fast that thing took passengers from the hilly Amish paradises of PA to the heart of Philly & NYC. Chicago to Milwaukee is a much shorter stretch of track and most of the terrain is urban or suburban. Moreso than the Harrisburg (PA) to Philly route I'd argue. Hiawatha should go for electrification and add the proposed Lake Forest stop so that Lake County finally has an Amtrak stop. Make sure that operations don't interfere with Metra either. And definitely add more frequencies and make it possible for a Milwaukee person to return from Chicago late-night, and vice-versa. I would love to see this happen.
I believe that Miluwakee road was the previous owner of this line. They ran trains from Chicago to Milwaukee in 75 minutes using steam locomotives in the late 1940's. Today, 65 years later, it takes 90 minutes using modern day diesels . Read more about this railroad from Wikipedia.

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is why I want to electrify this line and speed things up. If steam trains were able to cover this distance in 75 minutes, modern day electrics can do it in 55 minutes even with ROW issues. Electrics have faster acceleration after stopping compared to diesels and can decelerate just as fast.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM

This is definitely food for thought. I'm sure you've observed Amtrak's ongoing upgrades along their Michigan Services trains. Specifically the Wolverine, and a stretch of the Blue Water train. There are still delays, even along the fast stretch, but they at least have the ability to run the train at 110 MPH between Porter, Indiana and Kalamazoo, Michigan. They are working on getting the tracks upgraded east of Kalamazoo and into Dearborn, Michigan (near Detroit). These corridor trains get packed on the weekends. They can definitely use more equipment, have greater frequencies, etc. Not sure if they have considered electrification for the long-term.

Quote:
I believe that Miluwakee road was the previous owner of this line. They ran trains from Chicago to Milwaukee in 75 minutes using steam locomotives in the late 1940's. Today, 65 years later, it takes 90 minutes using modern day diesels . Read more about this railroad from Wikipedia.

Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is why I want to electrify this line and speed things up. If steam trains were able to cover this distance in 75 minutes, modern day electrics can do it in 55 minutes even with ROW issues. Electrics have faster acceleration after stopping compared to diesels and can decelerate just as fast.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
As you can see in the Wikipedia article, the Milwaukee Road did electrify, though a long way from Chicago. Saved millions in operational costs. Though its mismanagement thought it was a good business decision to take down the wires, the road went bankrupt not long after. The NorthShore line between Chicago and Milwaukee was electrified, and reportedly ran up to 95 mph but was slowed down because it had to use the L tracks in Chicago.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago...aukee_Railroad

Last edited by pvande55; 10-19-2013 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
This is definitely food for thought. I'm sure you've observed Amtrak's ongoing upgrades along their Michigan Services trains. Specifically the Wolverine, and a stretch of the Blue Water train. There are still delays, even along the fast stretch, but they at least have the ability to run the train at 110 MPH between Porter, Indiana and Kalamazoo, Michigan. They are working on getting the tracks upgraded east of Kalamazoo and into Dearborn, Michigan (near Detroit). These corridor trains get packed on the weekends. They can definitely use more equipment, have greater frequencies, etc. Not sure if they have considered electrification for the long-term.
I agree wholeheartedly. If not electrification, at least focus on upgrading the tracks and purchasing faster rail equipment. My secondary plan is to convert this into a DMU line using modern day DMU's like the Intercity 125. Here is a suggested DMU set from the UK which can modernize rail transport along this line:

British Rail Class 221 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The current amtrak equipment with P 42's and amfleet cars looks outdated. We need new designs and investment to modernize passenger rail transport.

Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 PM

No doubt that the current fleet is extremely outdated. They're using equipment that's decades old. The Michigan trains will see upgrades soon though:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/120429982

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. If not electrification, at least focus on upgrading the tracks and purchasing faster rail equipment. My secondary plan is to convert this into a DMU line using modern day DMU's like the Intercity 125. Here is a suggested DMU set from the UK which can modernize rail transport along this line:

British Rail Class 221 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The current amtrak equipment with P 42's and amfleet cars looks outdated. We need new designs and investment to modernize passenger rail transport.

Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
No doubt that the current fleet is extremely outdated. They're using equipment that's decades old. The Michigan trains will see upgrades soon though:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...FREE/120429982
Coaches and locomotives are in need of new designs if we are serious about faster rail transport. Unless a new rolling stock is purchased by Amtrak, we need to ride on those outdated clunkers from the early 80's.

Also, reintroduce sleeper trains along longer corridors for those who wish to complete the travel overnight. An overnight sleeper train from Minneapolis to Chicago or DC to Atlanta would be quite beneficial for those who want to travel overnight and arrive refreshed and ready in the morning. Trust me, Nobody likes taking a late night flight and losing sleep due to delays.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 PM

174 posts, read 596,852 times
It would be nice to see the Hiawatha line improved and upgraded to a high speed line. Sadly this isn't going to happen any time soon. This line is funded by the Wisconsin Dept. of Transportation & the Illinois Dept. of Transportation. Right now, the political climate is such that both states will not do this unless they get funding from the Feds to make this happen. With the deficit now in the $ 17 trillion dollar range, I doubt this will happen. Its unfortunate because this lines ridership has increased substantially in the past couple of years. There are people in Milwaukee that ride this line daily to work down in Chicago and the weekends get very busy on this line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs