U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM

125 posts, read 301,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
You know, I'm a resident of Oak Park and a big fan, but asking about crime in Oak Park, and about the patterns of crime in Oak Park is a perfectly legitimate question. I had similar questions before I moved here from Boston. I had my fears allayed, but that doesn't mean I don't worry about crime still.
I agree. My father was a "DOOPER" (dear old Oak Parker). I spent alot of my childhood in Oak Park. With all due respect to current Oak Parkers, I think that Oak Park Does have some areas of the village that aren't as good as others. The "Harrison Arts" area at Harrison and Austin Aves is one of them. I know of several people who have sold homes and moved from there because of break-ins. One man was broken into three times before he finally gave up and moved to Downer's Grove. He didn't want to go but his wife was having nightmares and they felt that their sense of security was gone. Another friend of mine had a shop on Harrison and closed it because she was fed up with shoplifting and other petty crimes.

My grandmother had a home on Lombard off of Madison. I was in the neighborhood recently and it looks as lovely as ever,however,I Would Not feel comfortable walking on Madison east of Ridgeland any more. When Calvary Church has evening activities, I regularly drive single women home. None of them feel comfortable walking home at night and Calvary is located at the heart of Oak Park's best (Lake & Oak Park Aves.)

If I were to buy in Oak Park today, I would only buy west of Ridgeland Avenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 05:13 PM

2,109 posts, read 4,039,909 times
I heard that those problems in the Harrison St. Arts District were due to renters of questionable quality. The Oak Park Regional Housing Center undertook efforts to bring better tenants into the apartment buildings there and the area is now booming and is much safer than it used to be. The community seemed to recognize a problem and did something about it. Unfortunately, not much can be done about Austin other than good policing and diligence by the east Oak Park residents.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 PM

5,218 posts, read 7,964,430 times
I'm curious, how long ago did the problems in the Harrison Arts District occur? Over the past two years or so, I've seen the District improve. Its a little too close to the expressway to live for my tastes, but we enjoy visiting and browsing the shops.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM

2,109 posts, read 4,039,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'm curious, how long ago did the problems in the Harrison Arts District occur? Over the past two years or so, I've seen the District improve. Its a little too close to the expressway to live for my tastes, but we enjoy visiting and browsing the shops.
My ex-girlfriend lived in the District in '02-03 and there were a few, shall we say, "interesting" characters in her building, but the landlord was trying to get them out and clean up the building. The area itself was starting to clean up then too but wasn't quite there yet. Dangerous, no, but certainly not what it is now. So I'd say over the past 4 years it's really taken off.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,271 times
I stay on austin ave, ya its gettting bad we bring the westside to oak park il,
so guess what we taking over. So deal with it or move out

ps i love the crime in oak park but i dont do any of it

****** with a big dick

Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM

909 posts, read 718,248 times
Do you realize this discussion is 4 years old? "Back man".

Statistics show that crime in Oak Park is at an all time low... So "deal with it", "Back Man".

Since you "love" crime so much, there are plenty of cesspools in and around Chicago just for you! I'm sure you'd just "love" K-town, or Harvey, or North Lawndale...

Last edited by chitownperson; 04-24-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 04:31 AM

98 posts, read 15,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK MAN View Post
ps i love the crime in oak park but i dont do any of it

****** with a big dick
I guess this is a dating site where morons can brag about their manhood with vulgar terms and not get banned or their post edited or deleted for several days.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM

137 posts, read 178,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1887 View Post
I am considering moving to the Oak Park area, a place at Humphrey and Ontario, right by West Suburban hospital. The place is only a block from Austin Blvd., and I would be taking the Austin Green Line to the loop on a daily basis. I know the area around Austin Blvd. is not the best, but does anybody know what the area in Oak Park near Austin and Ontario is like? Also, is the Austin L stop fairly safe?

Thanks.
I lived in that area (Humphrey & Lake) when I first moved to Oak Park (back in late 2005) and I didn't care for it. It's not a "war zone" or anything, but I was new to the Chicago area (as a rural-suburban Wisconsin transplant) and I found it rather intimidating. I've since moved to west-central Oak Park and love, love, love my community.

With that being said, if you're a reasonably urban-savvy person (and not a total "noob" like I was) you'd probably be fine there. You'll encounter some west-side "riff raff" spilling over from Austin, but there's a good mix of people in that area and it's fairly safe. I found that coming home from the city at night, it was safer to get off the (green line) El at Ridgeland and walk a couple extra blocks, rather than get off at Austin.

*** The bigger issue you should note: the NOISE from the hospital. That was another deciding factor in why I moved to a different park of O.P. The sirens coming in and out of West Sub drove me crazy! That hospital serves a lot of the above-mentioned "riff raff" from Austin: shot-up gangbangers, OD'ed crackheads, etc. (And a lot of west-side people will choose West Sub over nearby Lorretto.) So, some of the people coming in and out of the hospital can be pretty sketchy. ***

Maybe the noise won't bother you ... and if you exercise common sense and are comfortably city-savvy (something I definitely WASN'T when I lived there) ... you'll probably be fine. It's not the greatest area of Oak Park, but it's not awful either.

Best of luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 AM

137 posts, read 178,183 times
Jeez ... I feel like a pud ...

Didn't realize some idiot committed thread-necro and revived a discussion from 2007. Oh well ... I'll leave up my PP in case someone else comes on here looking for legit info on Oak Park's east side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs