U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,731,770 times

Advertisements

For a couple, no kids, are there any similarities/differences that should be considered when picking one suburb over another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:59 AM

4,004 posts, read 4,575,729 times
these suburbs really are very different from one another just so you realize that. when people are like i cant decide between naper and downers its like they are basically the same downers is closer to the city and better highway access.

lake forest is pretty ritzy. i used to have family out there been a few years but the type of community where mcdonalds isn't allowed to have arches and has to look like a dr office because they are too good to have a fast food joint visible. nice community probably good schools and stuff.

wheaton, pretty nice, close to naperville, downers and all those burbs so lots of shopping, job possibliities, good schools, etc. in my opinion a bit more not rundown but lots of unincorporated and stuff not the same look as the other burbs you mentioned. as for oak forest i grew up in oakforest. just recently went back. i like south burbs, its nice, not as nice as like orland, palos, tinley but nice. i recently took my gf back there and she said it was an ugly burb and was like i never seen a city that looked like this. jrs hot dogs out there is to die for though.

i guess what are the top 3 things your looking for in a burb and we can probably help you decide which better fits you. if your looking for a few more suggestions id say wilmette, northbrook, barrington are somewhat similar to lake forest. lisle, downers, warrenville are somewhat similar to wheaton. oak forest i find hard to compare but would basically say its not as nice of a tinley

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM

11,973 posts, read 27,618,634 times
These suburbs are nothing alike, and very far from one another.

With no kids, you can choose to live in a suburb with poor schools if you wish to, but the real estate values in those suburbs will not hold up as well, and you may not want to be forced to move if you do decide to have kids (assuming that's a possibility in the future, which it may not be). But you can certainly save a lot of money on your home price by living in a suburb with mediocre-to-lousy schools.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
wheaton, pretty nice, close to naperville, downers and all those burbs so lots of shopping, job possibliities, good schools, etc. in my opinion a bit more not rundown but lots of unincorporated and stuff not the same look as the other burbs you mentioned.
The areas of "unincorporated DuPage County" around Wheaton and Glen Ellyn vary quite a bit, from high-end subdivisions of McMansions to older ranch housing one step better than a trailer park. And a lot of variance can be found within very short distances. Some areas have sidewalks and the full array of "city services", and some barely have fire protection. You never know what you're going to find driving around! I have to say I was a bit surprised by this after moving out here, since Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are both generally very nice.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:47 PM

4,004 posts, read 4,575,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
The areas of "unincorporated DuPage County" around Wheaton and Glen Ellyn vary quite a bit, from high-end subdivisions of McMansions to older ranch housing one step better than a trailer park. And a lot of variance can be found within very short distances. Some areas have sidewalks and the full array of "city services", and some barely have fire protection. You never know what you're going to find driving around! I have to say I was a bit surprised by this after moving out here, since Wheaton and Glen Ellyn are both generally very nice.
yeah agreed. i always thought lisle was pretty nice and it is decent schools, pretty good home values but your right alot of unincorporated areas people have junk cars out back, trash in yards, etc but again like you said a block over townhomes near the train station going for 400k.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,029,142 times
Default Whoa...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
For a couple, no kids, are there any similarities/differences that should be considered when picking one suburb over another?
If you are moving here for a job it would be SUPER important to understand WHERE that job is located becuase trying to commute from each of those areas deffines triangle that proabably covers a hundred or more sq miles...

Further for a "couple , no kids" none of these are exactly hot spots of nightlife or urban living of the type that many people desire.

What is your goal?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:09 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,731,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you are moving here for a job it would be SUPER important to understand WHERE that job is located becuase trying to commute from each of those areas deffines triangle that proabably covers a hundred or more sq miles...

Further for a "couple , no kids" none of these are exactly hot spots of nightlife or urban living of the type that many people desire.

What is your goal?
no job, just curious, about the suburbs.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,928,231 times
Wheaton is beautiful. Lots of parks and very nice homes of all varieties. There are some areas with lower priced ranch and split level homes, a historical core, and upscale subdivisions with Mc Mansions. Many parks and prairie path, great library and shopping. close to transportation. I recommend it. Lake Forest is also very nice but as said is very ritzy and outside of most peoples price points. Oak Forest I am not familiar with but would probably skip looking there as its too far south for my taste. These are all quite different and wondering where the jobs are and why you are looking at them.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:49 PM

Oak Forest is one of the nicer, middle class suburbs in that neck of the woods. Not bad, not spectacular. But a heck of a lot nicer than bordering Midlothian, but probably a step down from Tinley Park.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM

5,866 posts, read 5,719,488 times
HA! I would not put any home in Wheaton as compared to a trailer park! sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or