Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,203 times

Advertisements

Jay,

The sellers may or may not accept your offer. It all depends on their motivation. Are they empty nesters looking for a pied-a-terre downtown? Are they transferees? Is it a divorce or is it a young couple hoping to move up? I've seen houses go very cheaply when they are part of an estate, and I've seen houses languish for years because they were part of an estate and the heirs overvalued the house.

You really have nothing to lose by offering what you feel is a fair price, but I would suggest that instead of giving the sellers the economic justification (which they know already) you tell them how much you love the house, but are limited in your budget. Their agent will be giving them the economic facts. this way you don't look like the bad guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,465,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Whenever I tell our agent that I think a house is overpriced, she feeds me a bunch of garbage about how this area doesn't need to correct because it never went up like California.
People said the same thing when we got here in January. Things have "corrected" a bit since then and I expect more. My answer to "it never went up like California" is this: You're right. California had a MASSIVE run-up and will have a MASSIVE drop. This area had a BIG run-up and will have a BIG drop.

That said, keep in mind, it's all relative. Yes, there's no ocean here, but if you're the only Nomad in the desert with a palm tree, you've got yourself a million dollar property. Lake Michigan and old trees are a big commodity out here.

Still, happy hunting.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:24 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
And since I can't maneuver my Escalade worth a crap, I'll need a circular drive-- throw some money at the city and get those trees out of the way

Cohdane that was hilarious!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:28 PM

Why do Escalades bother me so much? They just seem so much more obnoxious than other SUVs, and something about them just screams "Upper White Trash"

Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Why do Escalades bother me so much? They just seem so much more obnoxious than other SUVs, and something about them just screams "Upper White Trash"

That's pretty funny too! Those Escalades also drive me nuts - so do the Hummers - I don't get why any civilian needs a Hummer - especially in Illinois!

Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidreemer View Post
That's pretty funny too! Those Escalades also drive me nuts - so do the Hummers - I don't get why any civilian needs a Hummer - especially in Illinois!
Seriously!

Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Jay,

The sellers may or may not accept your offer. It all depends on their motivation. Are they empty nesters looking for a pied-a-terre downtown? Are they transferees? Is it a divorce or is it a young couple hoping to move up? I've seen houses go very cheaply when they are part of an estate, and I've seen houses languish for years because they were part of an estate and the heirs overvalued the house.

You really have nothing to lose by offering what you feel is a fair price, but I would suggest that instead of giving the sellers the economic justification (which they know already) you tell them how much you love the house, but are limited in your budget. Their agent will be giving them the economic facts. this way you don't look like the bad guy.
They are retirees moving to Florida where they already own another home. They built this house and raised their kids in it so there is a lot of pride and sentimental value in this home for them. The plus is that we are a young family who loves and appreciates the beautiful home they built, so much so that we would love to raise our family in it. That has got to count for something. Our agent asked us to write a letter to include with the offer to help take some of the sting out of the price. So now I am sitting here trying to come up with the perfect words for my letter.

I told our mortgage broker that there aren't any comps and she said that would be a problem with the appraisal then. So that it another thing we have going for us. If it doesn't appraise at what they are asking, no one can get financing.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohdane View Post
People said the same thing when we got here in January. Things have "corrected" a bit since then and I expect more. My answer to "it never went up like California" is this: You're right. California had a MASSIVE run-up and will have a MASSIVE drop. This area had a BIG run-up and will have a BIG drop.
I know! It seems like such common sense logic, but yet it is lost on so many.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:44 AM

Jay,

I don't remember if you had said anything earlier in this thread, but how long do you plan to stay in your new house? Will this be a permanent place or a 5-8 years sort of house?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,027 times
Highland Park should come down some more. It has already come down a lot. There is a lot more inventory in Highland Park than other North Shore communities. Also, Highland Park, Lake Forest, etc. are hurting from the recent gas crisis. People were predicting that Glencoe would skyrocket, because it fell considerably in 2006 and 2007, and now there is very low inventory, but the gas crisis has changed opinions. Homes in Evanston and Wilmette are selling much quicker than the other NS communities. Now people are predicting that Evanston and Wilmette will experience a price hike and building boom, which Winnetka and Glencoe experienced in previous years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs