Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Well I don't know how to get the word out, but it needs to be done because this is a sad state of affairs.
Groups need to be formed and existing groups strengthened. Most importantly people are needed that have funds to help things get changed. I for one, do not have these funds...

Last edited by Avengerfire; 08-19-2008 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:45 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,301 times
Nor do I.... Sometimes change can be brought about by a small group of concerned citizens. There are a few of us here that seem to care about this issue. If enough people wrote to the city to express your concern over this issue and perhaps mention that Chicago's green title should be revoked, it might catch the right person's attention. You just never know. An email only takes a few minutes to write.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Perhaps we can start something here then. You are much better at words than I. Could you write a "call to arms" post in this thread as well as in my Official Recycling thread thread?

Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 AM

702 posts, read 2,522,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
Cali,

Were you living in Evanston when the city council attempted to tax tuition? Now they're attempting to tax their endowment.

Schoenberg: Don't count on endowment tax | Evanston Now

This study shows how NU boots Evanstons economy:

Northwestern Boosts Evanston Economy by $145 M, NewsCenter, Northwestern University

Having grown up in Evanston I have heard about the hard feelings toward the University as an institution with a lot of money that doesn't do much for the city. My sister graduated from NU so I know that it's a good school and I had lots of fun at their frat parties when I was in high school, but still there are hard feelings out there no matter what the data shows.

I like the idea about the recycle thread. Nice.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:00 PM

In three days it will be 3 months since we moved here and I want to go home. I thought at first it was just homesickness setting in, but I know now that this is not where I belong. We're working on plans to get back home to the bay area. Thanks so much everyone for your input. I really do appreciate your help because it could be worse and I could be somewhere else until we get to move home. I hope all of the information will help others make a decision. Evanston is nice and it is liberal for Chicago, but it just isn't home.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
After a big move, I think it normally takes at least a year to adjust to a new place, put down roots, and meet new friends. But if you're already feeling the itch to move, a long Chicago winter certainly won't help! Trust me, now's the time to leave because it won't get better by February.

I was lucky when I moved here that I already knew some people and worked in an environment (downtown international architecture firm) where there were many people I had a lot in common with. Since your husband is working in the far northern suburbs and you are at home, it would be even harder for you to find people you have things in common with. If your husband worked downtown, he would probably find more like-minded people at work. I for one wouldn't even consider a job in the suburbs, and most of my friends feel the same way. It's a different culture out there! I've recently had to go to meetings out in Lake Forest off of the highway, and I couldn't imagine living that every day.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear about the problems you're having here. Are you feeling isolated? Have you had issues with people you've met? What have you disliked about Evanston?

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:51 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Come on Jayne, you can't abandon us now! I am sorry to read that you are unhappy in Evanston. I hope it's one of those transitory things that happens to everyone from time to time. Please let us know what happened to turn you from sounding thrilled with Evanston to being ready to up and move back to CA.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:31 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
THREE MONTHS ??!!! Thats IT !??

Old 09-28-2008, 09:53 AM

7 posts, read 17,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City John View Post
Why not downtown Elmhurst?
Definitely not. Disregard that. It's west anyway. I grew up in Elmhurst and it's not for vegetarians or liberals. Evanston or Oak Park.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:27 AM

Evanston is very nice. It just isn't where we belong for so many reasons and it has been clear to me after the first 6 weeks.

After this experience, we've learned that we would not ever buy in a multi-family bldg. Our neighbor downstairs has complained about how loud the kids apparently are. Now we walk on eggshells and freak out on the kids for being kids all day long. What a way to live. I can't believe how much I miss having a yard for the kids. Meeting other families through my daughters preschool is helping me feel more rooted here, but there just is a feeling at my core that tells me that we belong in Nor Cal and should have never left. I knew it when we were considering moving and that is why I was so conflicted about the whole thing. It is all very clear to me now, but you know what they say about hindsight. This past year has actually been a time of great personal growth. I have learned through a series of bad choices to listen to my inner guidance. If we could go back to California right now, I would be packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs