Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times

Advertisements

Barringtons a great town for stay at home moms. Much activity if you choose to participate. Park District, volunteer groups, a plethora of clubs and events. I agree with Chet, the town/village of Barrington itself sounds up your alley. Very nice hoods with older homes,(of course some tear downs) huge trees, walk to town,train,parks,schools,library etc. The larger land areas (5 acres minimum) and horse people are in Barrington Hills. There is also Lake Barrington, North Barrington, South Barrington and Barrington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,081 times
[quote=chet everett;3974164]Don't confuse actual Barrington with many of the ares that have Barrington _ _ _ _ _ in the name, many people do and it is a mistake. Barrington has a REAL town that is useful, walkable and very different that the collections of cul-de-sac subdivisions that surround it. quote]

I'm finding it tough to filter for actual Barrington on mls search. What is the zip code for the downtown Barrington you are suggesting to me? I'd want to be pretty close to the downtown area. I looked it up and it appears to be 60010, but that brings up Deer Park, North Barrington, Lake Barrington and every Barrington in between.

Last edited by jaynetarzana; 06-03-2008 at 09:52 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 07:04 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,872 times
A realtor is the only person that will be able to narrow the search like that.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
[quote=jaynetarzana;3981436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Don't confuse actual Barrington with many of the ares that have Barrington _ _ _ _ _ in the name, many people do and it is a mistake. Barrington has a REAL town that is useful, walkable and very different that the collections of cul-de-sac subdivisions that surround it. quote]

I'm finding it tough to filter for actual Barrington on mls search. What is the zip code for the downtown Barrington you are suggesting to me? I'd want to be pretty close to the downtown area. I looked it up and it appears to be 60010, but that brings up Deer Park, North Barrington, Lake Barrington and every Barrington in between.
Yes, most share the same zip. You want to look for one listed as a "Village" home.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:50 AM

725 posts, read 1,849,319 times
Another vote for Evanston here! Good luck.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:58 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
This thread is a 1/2 year old already, guys. Im pretty sure the tree hugging, liberal vegetarians have found their little niche amongst the other tree hugging, liberal vegetarians. Im sure right now they are out hugging trees, eating tofu and bashing Bush with their newfound neighbors. Gee isnt this fun.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:03 AM

I gave an update in this thread saying that due to the sale of our house taking longer, we are still not moved. We're moving July 1st. Also, I just posted a few days ago.

So we still need help finding our fellow "tree hugging, liberal vegetarians" And we're not yet "out hugging trees, eating tofu and bashing Bush with their (our) newfound neighbors".

Old 06-06-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Another vote for Evanston here! Good luck.
Thank you! I am really looking forward to finally getting there to see it for myself. I tell my husband almost every day that pretty much everyone thinks that Evanston is for us even though our realtor steered us away from it to the point where we didn't even drive through it when we were there for 3 days in December.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:23 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
^^That's one reason I really think renting can be a good idea at first so that you and not your realtor get to set the agenda. You'll have a chance to explore and really think about your decision. Good call! and of course Good Luck!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 AM

305 posts, read 1,116,443 times
I wonder why your realtor steered you away from Evanston when it seems so obvious to everyone on this board that it would be a good place for you? From participating in this discussion, my guess would be that it was a focus on mid-century architecture, of which there is precious little in Evanston and even less that would qualify as mid-century modern. Having said that, I think some of us have been confused when you've referred to mid-century housing. If, as I now suspect, you're looking for mid-century modern, then you'll be sorely disappointed in Chicago. There's just not much of it here. Housing here takes its cues from the east (Colonials, Georgians, American four-squares, etc.) and blends in the Midwest-grown Prairie School, but the modern style never really took off here like it did in parts of California.

Having said that, it's a shame you didn't have a chance to see Evanston. It really does sound like a good match for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs