U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 09:49 PM

60 posts, read 135,020 times

Advertisements

I've been a reg since last year.

I usually take the routes through the NW and N suburbs - I occasionally go to Lake County, but never to DuPage.

I think service could be improved considerably, but I'm glad I have it as a transportation option in the first place. I've never had a driver's license, so before I became a rider, I had to rely on my parents to get me around the area.

I was wondering if there were people here who moved from suburbs elsewhere: how does PACE stack up to your former area's bus network?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 06:49 AM

474 posts, read 2,284,382 times
Default Like Chicago's Cta And Metra...

... The PACE bus system is in great financial difficulty. In the past, they have been contemplating cut backs and that includes all three systems.

Although I have never ridden on PACE is goes almost past my residence. And from here, it visits the Main Street railroad station in Wheaton, IL and then heads back to the College of Du Page in Glen Ellyn, IL.

IF or WHEN the PACE system defaults, then it would behoove you to have your own driver's license & automobile.

There are many private driver training schools in the greater Chicago area. So it would probably be quite smart to contract with one to obtain your driver's license.

Carter Glass,
Wheaton, IL

Old 11-26-2007, 10:45 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,302,126 times
Chicagoland is so spread out, PACE has a hard time effectively connecting places. It only runs through the less dense suburban areas. The CTA in Chicago supplies around 1,000,000 bus rides on an average day, and PACE has around 116,000.

That being said, I don't think they will decrease services. There's no way the business leaders of Chicago will let them implement the cuts. Downtown Chicago sees around 700,000 people every day coming in for work/school/shopping, and the downtown area has improved DRAMATICALLY in the past 15 years or so. After completing so many improvements to the city, I don't think they can afford to take a step back like this. That's what the Chicago of the 70's - 90's would have done, and I think they've finally seen how degrading that is to the region.

Old 11-26-2007, 02:57 PM

38,691 posts, read 85,962,413 times
PACE has the crankiest bus drivers on Earth.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:39 PM

2,213 posts, read 5,168,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
..It only runs through the less dense suburban areas...
You mean like 95th Street through Beverly, Evergreen Park and Oak Lawn, or Harlem Ave through Berwyn, Riverside and Oak Park?

Actually, Pace only runs a few regular routes through the areas of suburban sprawl. I would say roughly half of their routes run through subdvisions to take people to train stations, rush hours only. Most of the remainder of their routes run on a a regular fixed schedule, along major arterial routes, primarily in south, west, and north Cook County. There are also some regular fixed routes in DuPage and northwest Cook County, and quite a few regular routes in and around the satellite cities of Joliet, Aurora, Elgin, and Waukegan. There are also a number of specialized routes, such as connecting the city with UPS distribution centers, or operating shuttle service around a community.

For details: Pace Bus - A Fresh Approach to Public Transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs