Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 AM

3 posts, read 6,672 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We are a soon to be 4 family looking to make the move from the city to the burbs. I will be making the commute to downtown and as much as I hate it, want to make the move for various reasons.

In our search, the primary criteria that we are looking for is schools. We cannot afford the Hinsdale kind of areas since my budget is sub-700k. So we decided on looking at the western and northwestern suburbs.

We are looking to find an area with a good representation of the asian-indian community, has excellent schools and the median income being more than 80k(because I associate well-affluent parents with being more involved parents translating into better kids and schools). But we are a very middle-class family and want to have nothing to do with keeping up with the Joneses.

Thanks to the excellent source that this web-site is and searching these forums, we have initially zeroed in on South Naperville (White Eagle, TallGrass subdivisions specifically). But I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on any other neighborhoods that I ought to be looking at and started looking at schools as a starting point and found out that there is no good source for looking at schools by filtering on asian population, some sort of rating, and median household income.

What we would want to be searching for is a safe place with all public schools(elementary, middle, high) with great school ratings of 9+, asian population of 15-20%+, median household income of 80k+ and the commute to downtown not being more than 75 mins each way.

Could you suggest something? Would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:14 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are MANY very livable homes in the area served by D181 well below $700K so if you want top notch school performance in the western suburbs that is absolutely a possibility in your budget...

There is no shortage of folks with an Indian heritage in D181 and the nearby portions of Oak Brook served by D53 (which then also feeds into Hinsdale Central) also have some homes that are below $700K. The portions of Oak Brook that are served by Downers Grove D59/D99 also have many families of Indian heritage. Homes in the northern portion of Downers Grove as well as the neighboring unincorporated areas also would be worth exploring.

Additional areas to consider include the portions of Westmont served by Maerecker School District #60 which also serves portions of Willowbrook & Darien -- the portions inside Westmont & Clarendon Hills mostly then feed into Hinsdale Central while the other other portions feed into Hinsdale South. District - Home

The affordability of Elmhurst is generally a bit better than Hinsdale but in my experience the degree to which affluent Indian families choose Elmhurst is far less frequent than towns like Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills or Oak Brook.

Further west Naperville is a popular destination for folks of Indian heritage and one's housing dollar does go a bit further than in more costly towns.

I would worry less about "keeping up with" neighbors be they Jones, O'Doyle, Grabowski, or Kishore and focus on the excellent performance of schools as listed on the Illinois Honor Roll for Academic Excellence -- Illinois Honor Roll - Academic Excellence Awards 2012 List

Old 01-03-2014, 07:01 PM

172 posts, read 316,240 times
Nice link, my kids schools in Frankfort made that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
There are MANY very livable homes in the area served by D181 well below $700K so if you want top notch school performance in the western suburbs that is absolutely a possibility in your budget...

There is no shortage of folks with an Indian heritage in D181 and the nearby portions of Oak Brook served by D53 (which then also feeds into Hinsdale Central) also have some homes that are below $700K. The portions of Oak Brook that are served by Downers Grove D59/D99 also have many families of Indian heritage. Homes in the northern portion of Downers Grove as well as the neighboring unincorporated areas also would be worth exploring.

Additional areas to consider include the portions of Westmont served by Maerecker School District #60 which also serves portions of Willowbrook & Darien -- the portions inside Westmont & Clarendon Hills mostly then feed into Hinsdale Central while the other other portions feed into Hinsdale South. District - Home

The affordability of Elmhurst is generally a bit better than Hinsdale but in my experience the degree to which affluent Indian families choose Elmhurst is far less frequent than towns like Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills or Oak Brook.

Further west Naperville is a popular destination for folks of Indian heritage and one's housing dollar does go a bit further than in more costly towns.

I would worry less about "keeping up with" neighbors be they Jones, O'Doyle, Grabowski, or Kishore and focus on the excellent performance of schools as listed on the Illinois Honor Roll for Academic Excellence -- Illinois Honor Roll - Academic Excellence Awards 2012 List

Old 01-03-2014, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,672 times
Thanks Chet for a very detailed and informative response.

Other than tallgrass and white eagle are there any particular subdivisions that I should be
Focussing on in Naperville?

How's the school situation in and around Schaumburg? Commute to me looks as bad
as if not worse than from route 59/Naperville.

Thanks again

Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 PM

172 posts, read 316,240 times
Frankfort, IL fits all your criteria. Good southeast asian presence (I'm southeast asian) good schools. Nice housing stock, village is doing very well financially, property taxes are high however, great place to live and raise a family

Old 01-03-2014, 09:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default If you can rely on Metra...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontgimmeaticket View Post
Thanks Chet for a very detailed and informative response.

Other than tallgrass and white eagle are there any particular subdivisions that I should be
Focussing on in Naperville?

How's the school situation in and around Schaumburg? Commute to me looks as bad
as if not worse than from route 59/Naperville.

Thanks again
Commute from parts of Naperville closer to the train station means you save considerable time compared to places where you need to rely on a car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs