U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:51 AM

2,127 posts, read 4,901,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60605 View Post
I want to move to a Chicago suburb with a predominent white community. I have looked at Flossmore, but very worried about where that community is headed with a jump of 40% black residents in the past 10 years. Any recommendations?
Your best bet would be to move to a far flung town that is essentially just outside a suburban area in a way. Places like Manhattan, IL come to mind (although it has Metra service and is technical a suburb).

Someone mentioned Frankfort. However, while Frankfort is about 90% White, the second largest minority is Black at about 6-7% and the Black population there is growing faster than in places like Orland Park, Tinley Park, Homer Glen, Mokena, etc. When looking at the Black population that is moving to Frankfort, it is very clear that they are more affluent than people already living there, but I know that does not make a difference for you.

There are a ton of predominantly white suburban areas, but ALL suburbs have minorities there. However, if you are more clear and just state that you would like a suburban area that Blacks are interested in or generally not moving to, you might get more responses.

I'm not going to make assumptions about you, but I would guess that based off of your post about home upkeep of Blacks, you probably were living in an area where most of the minorities were lower-income. If that's the case, then I would just be careful because there are predominantly white areas that are not the most well-kept areas as well. Demographics alone do not tell the entire story of an area.

Another tip. Some far flung suburban areas (such as Plainfied, Oswego, Sugar Grove, Elburn) may be predominantly white now mostly because they are new, but they are diversifying faster than more established communities (such as Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights).

Good luck
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 11:00 AM

424 posts, read 419,432 times
To be fair all, if he was Hispanic and said he wanted to live in a predominantly Hispanic community, or black, Asian or so on, you'd have no issue with it and would be dealing our reccomendations. Obviously from the make up of some of the communities a lot of whites feel as he does. He was just dumb enough to outright admit it!

Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,353,911 times
lol, suburbs

Old 01-13-2014, 12:23 PM

4,004 posts, read 5,318,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
To be fair all, if he was Hispanic and said he wanted to live in a predominantly Hispanic community, or black, Asian or so on, you'd have no issue with it and would be dealing our reccomendations. Obviously from the make up of some of the communities a lot of whites feel as he does. He was just dumb enough to outright admit it!
you bring up an interesting point. no-one would think twice if a hispanic was looking for a hispanic community or oftentimes blacks come on here asking about burbs which are white but at least have some diversity or some black community in them as they would feel more comfortable not being the only blacks around.

if thats okay why is it not okay or dumb for a white person to admit their preference to live around whites?

its racist if your white but not if your hispanic or black or asian or indian. i see at least two questions a week asked about indian communities in napeerville, schaumburg etc and nobody starts calling racist.

just the makeup of the burbs shows this is what people prefer

Old 01-13-2014, 12:33 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,116,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
its not racism to have a preference.
Wanting to distance yourself from people because of their race or ethnicity is not a "preference." It is prejudice, pure and simple. I wish prejudiced people would just come out and voice their prejudice oepnly instead always hiding behind soft, sweet-sounding euphemisms like "preference."

Old 01-13-2014, 01:10 PM

217 posts, read 516,681 times
What if you choose to live around people like you without even giving a thought or care in any negative way about other races?

Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,116,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud Kissel View Post
What if you choose to live around people like you without even giving a thought or care in any negative way about other races?
But the OP specifically stated a desire not to live around certain people.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:21 PM

119 posts, read 257,947 times
I think the big distinction between someone having a racial preference and a racial prejudice. Is whether that person attempts to agitate or denigrate others because they are of a different race. Or lashes out at others who do not share his racial animosity. For one the poster clearly mentioned flossmoor. Which is probably the most prosperous racially diverse chicago suburb in a mostly segregated chicago suburban landscape. So why this poster would even reference Flossmoor at all brings that sort of suspicion of being prejudice to the forefront. There are several predominantly white neighborhoods within a short drive of flossmoor. So no problem finding that. Several nearby northwest Indiana towns come to mind. Munster, dyer, st john, crown point, just to name a few.

And I personally know a lot of blacks who live in predominantly white neighborhoods who might not come out and say it is their preference. But they enjoy living in an area where there are few other minorities. And there is no shortage of whites who purposely seek out predominantly minority neighborhoods or racially diverse areas to live. There are plenty of highly educated and economically affluent whites paying good money to move to flossmoor.

Last edited by gregbuck; 01-13-2014 at 01:36 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 01:44 PM

424 posts, read 419,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
you bring up an interesting point. no-one would think twice if a hispanic was looking for a hispanic community or oftentimes blacks come on here asking about burbs which are white but at least have some diversity or some black community in them as they would feel more comfortable not being the only blacks around.

if thats okay why is it not okay or dumb for a white person to admit their preference to live around whites?

its racist if your white but not if your hispanic or black or asian or indian. i see at least two questions a week asked about indian communities in napeerville, schaumburg etc and nobody starts calling racist.

just the makeup of the burbs shows this is what people prefer
I didn't say it was ok for them to do it either and saying it's a preference and everyone's doing it doesn't make it cool. I do think it's hypocritical the way they're on you though. I'm too lazy to dig but there have been posts by blacks and Hispanics asking for recommendations similar to yours and they've been helpfully steered to their desired communities.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:02 PM

172 posts, read 274,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Your best bet would be to move to a far flung town that is essentially just outside a suburban area in a way. Places like Manhattan, IL come to mind (although it has Metra service and is technical a suburb).

Someone mentioned Frankfort. However, while Frankfort is about 90% White, the second largest minority is Black at about 6-7% and the Black population there is growing faster than in places like Orland Park, Tinley Park, Homer Glen, Mokena, etc. When looking at the Black population that is moving to Frankfort, it is very clear that they are more affluent than people already living there, but I know that does not make a difference for you.

There are a ton of predominantly white suburban areas, but ALL suburbs have minorities there. However, if you are more clear and just state that you would like a suburban area that Blacks are interested in or generally not moving to, you might get more responses.

I'm not going to make assumptions about you, but I would guess that based off of your post about home upkeep of Blacks, you probably were living in an area where most of the minorities were lower-income. If that's the case, then I would just be careful because there are predominantly white areas that are not the most well-kept areas as well. Demographics alone do not tell the entire story of an area.

Another tip. Some far flung suburban areas (such as Plainfied, Oswego, Sugar Grove, Elburn) may be predominantly white now mostly because they are new, but they are diversifying faster than more established communities (such as Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Buffalo Grove, Arlington Heights).

Good luck
False. Frankfort is 93-95% white, black is about 4sh % and asian (Indian /Pakistani) is about 2-3% (two largest minorities), there is a large physician population that's why there is a high percentage of Asians, which round at silver cross, st James, Christ, and palos park hospital. Also alot of NWI hospital dr's at Munster community, st Margaret's etc live in frankfort (such as the chief of medical staff of st Marg Hammond etc). The black population is growing much faster in orland park and Tinley then in frankfort, ur misinformed about that. There is a mosque out here that is ever expanding and I believe there will b a hindu temple going up nearby as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs