U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2007, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,801 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a possible relocation to the Chicago area. Does anyone have any information on schools for children with hearing loss. I have a 10 year old son with a cochlear implant. He is currently in a school that uses a total communication approach with Cued Speech, ASL and English. What are the best schools for this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:25 PM

272 posts, read 682,493 times
My next-door neighbor's kid also has a cochlear implant, and I know they were very happy with the Roycemore School in Evanston. He transferred there early in his high school career after being unable to get the support they needed at a more exclusive private school (U. of C. Lab School) in the city. Roycemore runs from Pre-K all the way through high school, I believe.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 15,451 times
http://web54.sd54.k12.il.us/schools/...ll/default.htm

I remember talking to someone about a school in Schaumburg with a deaf program did a bit of searching but I found it.

There is also a deaf school downstate in Jacksonville IL. If your child qualifies and you would want, it is more of a "facts of life" boarding school and teh kids come home every two weeks. Great school.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM

2 posts, read 9,316 times
I know my my son's fiance has a younger brother who goes to Grayslake High School in Grayslake IL near IL-83 and Rollins Road. Before that they went to the John Power Center in Hawthorne, IL SEDOL (Special Education District of Lake County)
http://www.sedol.k12.il.us/powers.html (broken link) His fiance and both of her brothers are hearing impaired. One othe the brothers graduated from High School and is going to college out east somewhere in Neew York. They seem to be doing well. There is a olt of networking , that seems to be going on in the deaf / hearing impaired community in Lake County , IL and SE WI. There is ASL interpeter during the 10:45 AM service at Northpoint Church at 9th Street and Lewis Avene in Winthrop Harbor. Sorry that I don't have any more information at this time.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:23 PM

137 posts, read 19,844 times
All the North Shore suburbs have excellent school systems that will cater to any problem your child may have. There are many schools that will fully cater to children with problems like Park School in Evanston and Arlyn Day School. Some private schools like North Shore Country Day - Winnetka and Roycemore School - Evanston, might be willing to assist you. They really want your child to remain competitive.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM

3 posts, read 5,503 times
Default school for hearing impairment

Hi my name is rizelle, I just want to seek some info. It is regarding my sister who
Have hearing impairment since birth. It's hard to communicate to her because she did not attend a proper school for her. We really want her to go to school but sadly
We have financial difficulties.. They live in Chicago, can you please help us find a free school proper for her... Looking forward for your reply and your help will be
Greatly appreciated.. Thank you!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 PM

10,261 posts, read 7,741,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizelleline View Post
Hi my name is rizelle, I just want to seek some info. It is regarding my sister who
Have hearing impairment since birth. It's hard to communicate to her because she did not attend a proper school for her. We really want her to go to school but sadly
We have financial difficulties.. They live in Chicago, can you please help us find a free school proper for her... Looking forward for your reply and your help will be
Greatly appreciated.. Thank you!
How old is your sister? Where (general area) does she live? Has she had any services at all? Early Intervention or a special needs evaluation by the school district?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Default school for hearing impairment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How old is your sister? Where (general area) does she live? Has she had any services at all? Early Intervention or a special needs evaluation by the school district?
Hi I'm really thankful for your reply on my post. I hope u can help my sister.
She is 26 years old now, she's with my mom and they live at north prospect st.
Niles, Illinois. She have no services and evaluation yet.. They been there for 5 years.
Actually when they were in California she attended school for 1 year but when they
Moved to Chicago it's hard for my mom to find a school for her.. Right now my mom
Doesn't have stable job so she cannot send my sister to school.. Is there a free school for her? We really want her to learn and I know my sister want it too and live
A normal life that she can communicate to us and the people around her.. I really hope you can help my sister.. Thank you!

Old 01-10-2013, 03:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 7,741,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizelleline View Post
Hi I'm really thankful for your reply on my post. I hope u can help my sister.
She is 26 years old now, she's with my mom and they live at north prospect st.
Niles, Illinois. She have no services and evaluation yet.. They been there for 5 years.
Actually when they were in California she attended school for 1 year but when they
Moved to Chicago it's hard for my mom to find a school for her.. Right now my mom
Doesn't have stable job so she cannot send my sister to school.. Is there a free school for her? We really want her to learn and I know my sister want it too and live
A normal life that she can communicate to us and the people around her.. I really hope you can help my sister.. Thank you!
At 26 she is an adult, so I doubt if you will find schools, but... you may be able to access some services. Didn't she go to any school as a child at all? The schools serve children rather than adults and only admit people under 21.

It is too bad, she wasn't evaluated when she first moved here.

Does she know any sign language at all? It would seem that teaching her to sign might be your first priority. While she is an adult, if she has no communication, you can try some children's resources like signing time dvds.
Baby Signing Time DVD Collection | Signing Time

How does she get her needs met currently? You say she has no communication, but is that really true? Can she point to things she wants? Does she gesture? Is she totally deaf or can she hear sounds? If she has partial hearing, does she have a hearing aid?

While she isn't blind, you might want to contact the Lighthouse and ask them about services for her
Deaf/Blind Program | The Chicago Lighthouse

You might also want to contact the registry of deaf interpreters and see if they have information
DeafIllinois.com - Illinois Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf

Maybe email the president and see what can be offered.

Here's another resource to contact
idhhc.illinois.gov : Illinois Deaf-Blind Resources & Connections

Niles has some sign language tutors. I am sure there is a charge, but you might be able to work out a deal
Niles Sign Language Tutoring in Niles, IL

There is a Hebrew Seminary for the Deaf in Skokie. Perhaps someone there would know what resources might be available.
Hebrew Seminary of the Deaf
4435 West Oakton Street,
Skokie, Illinois 60076
VP: 224.534.0029
Voice: 847.677.3330

I'm just trying anything here.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Default school for hearing impaired children

Back home she attended school in elementary but she was mixed with normal students not in a proper school for her. She can do some sign language with letters but when it comes to words she doesn't know.. We communicate in our way not the sign language, if she wants something for examle at the store and we don't understand her she try to draw it in a paper if she can or point it if sees it..She knows how to right too if she's copying something. Im not sure if she can hear sounds but many times if we try to call her name and we are just near with each other she can't hear us..she doesnt have hearing aid.. What services can she entitle is it for free?? Thank you for the information you shared, i know it may be too late now but ill try to search on the references you gave... Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs