Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 4,225 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just accepted a new position in Wheaton at a nonprofit, and will be relocating to the area. I'm looking for advice about good places to look for an affordable studio or 1 bedroom apartment. I am somewhat familiar with the area, I went to college in Naperville and have lived in the city for the last few years but haven't spent much time in the surrounding burbs. I am single and in my mid-twenties, and I know a lot of people suggest simply living in the city and dealing with the commute, but I've had the hour+ commute for the last few years and would rather live closer to work and head into the city on the weekends.

I'm hoping to keep rent under $850, which I know limits my options. While it would be great to live in a community that has things to do nearby, I'm more concerned with having housing that isn't horrible. What areas would you suggest (any actual advice about apartment complexes would be great)? Would it be better to look in the Lisle/Downer's Grove area, Batavia, Carol Stream, etc. or have a bit longer commute from Schaumburg/Hoffman Estates? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:29 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
There are a few decent apartment complex on the northside of Naperville that would make for an easy trip to work and still be convenient to Naperville's core for nightlife as well as relatively easy for access to the I88 for trips into Chicago...

It probably does not make much sense to head too much further west nor north, unless your budget is too strained -- towns like Carol Stream or Batavia are a bit more affordable. Heading all the way to Hoffman Estates or Schaumburg would not even see much savings in rent and likely would see commute time soar for no positive ends...

Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
Why not live in Wheaton? Its a great community. Why travel all the way to Hoffman which is not as nice as some of the surrounding suburbs and put more time in your commute. I know it might be hard to find an apt. in Wheaton for that price but you can at least look. My picks to live would be Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Naperville or Lisle. I do know there are quite a few apts in Lisle and the rents are cheaper than the other places.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:51 AM

493 posts, read 980,691 times
Carol Stream/Glendale Heights could be decent, I used to live in Glendale Heights and traveled to Wheaton somewhat frequently to see friends or go to Genghis Grill or the farmers market. Glendale Heights was a good bit cheaper than Schaumburg when we were looking (our 3 br in Glendale Heights was the same monthly rent as a 2 br we were looking at in Schaumburg, and just a touch more expensive than a 2br in Hoffman Estates) but you might still have a hard time staying below 850. The complex we were in ranges from 900-1100 for a 1br.

Hanover Park has some apartments in the sub 850 range, West Line apartments are right on Barrington Rd and Lake, which Barrington turns into County Farm Rd. and goes straight to Wheaton.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,225 times
Thanks for the input! I am open to living in Wheaton as the commute would be ideal, I just wasn't having much luck at this point finding units in my price range. I'll make sure to take a closer look at north Naperville, Lisle, and Hanover Park.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:49 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
I have a friend who lives in Wheaton in a 2-flat, you may need to check out the local paper or drive around the "downtown" area. I would also check with your new employer, so where people who work there live.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Why not live in Wheaton? Its a great community. Why travel all the way to Hoffman which is not as nice as some of the surrounding suburbs and put more time in your commute. I know it might be hard to find an apt. in Wheaton for that price but you can at least look. My picks to live would be Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Naperville or Lisle. I do know there are quite a few apts in Lisle and the rents are cheaper than the other places.
I have to agree with ToriaT. Start with Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, and if you can't find anything in your price range expand to Naperville or Lisle. Or maybe even Lombard.

You could also go north to Carol Stream/Glendale Heights/Bloomingdale, etc, but I think you'd enjoy living in Lisle/Naperville quite a bit more if you have to live further from your job. Bloomingdale and Carol Stream are considered slightly nicer than Glendale Heights, but it really depends on the exact area and apartment building/complex.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:31 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I have to agree with ToriaT. Start with Wheaton and Glen Ellyn, and if you can't find anything in your price range expand to Naperville or Lisle. Or maybe even Lombard.

You could also go north to Carol Stream/Glendale Heights/Bloomingdale, etc, but I think you'd enjoy living in Lisle/Naperville quite a bit more if you have to live further from your job. Bloomingdale and Carol Stream are considered slightly nicer than Glendale Heights, but it really depends on the exact area and apartment building/complex.
Totally agree. The friend who now lives in Wheaton, used to live in a fairly crappy complex in Glendale Hts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs