Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:02 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Um Munster is closer to the Loop than Arlington Heights...and no I am not meshugana.
NW Indiana is not bad. But I personally don't like the overall vibe of the area as much as the N, NW and W suburbs. Lower COL is definitely a selling point for NW Indiana and I like their politics a lot better.

If you want to live in more of a majority, I suggest Buffalo Grove, Long Grove, Deerfield, North Shore, Northbrook and Glenview. Arlington Heights will be less of a majority but you should not feel singled out either. Not familiar enough with Naperville to opine. IMO, if the schools provide the Holy Days off in Sep/Oct then you have enough of a majority. If they don't, then too much of a minority. Of course majority/minority is very personal and we all have differing comfort zones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
The Hammond South Shore Station is only 4-5 traffic free miles from the northern section of Munster, about as close as west Northbrook is from Northbrook's Metra station.

There is a huge amount of ignorance about northwest Indiana amongst the Illinois side of Chicagoland, particularly the North Shore, I know, I grew up there.

How many up there know that what is widely considered to be the best Brewpub in America by many is located in Munster?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Floyds_Brewing

Anyhow, the opening poster has spoken. She is not interested in living in a very affluent town in a state that is not bankrupt and has a 1% property tax rate, has a larger Jewish community than Naperville, and which has been cited for "offering the best combination of public school quality and affordable neighborhoods in the Chicago Metropolitan Area".

Old 02-05-2014, 09:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Munster has a nice core, older homes, lots of trees. But I don't like the helter skelter zoning and development as you go from one town to another or one subdivision to another. Kind of reminds me of the laxer zoning laws found in some parts of the south. Maybe it's city vs. township zoning differences? I don't visually sense the same when I'm in the N, NW or W suburbs and traveling through WI or IA. Not a knock against NW Indiana, just personal preference. There definitely are some nice sections of NW Indiana and state government sure has their act together and it doesn't seem to be as much of a political monopoly. Been camping to several different parts of the state and it is a state that's a lot more than just corn and soybeans!

Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Munster has a nice core, older homes, lots of trees. But I don't like the helter skelter zoning and development as you go from one town to another or one subdivision to another. Kind of reminds me of the laxer zoning laws found in some parts of the south. Maybe it's city vs. township zoning differences?
That is true, but I actually like the lack of predictibility when exploring "The Region". I spent a few years in the Dunes and thought the people were incredibly cool, open-minded and much less classist/judgemental than other parts of suburban Chicago.

I suppose it's the industrial heritage/lgistics hub of the area....I remember hanging out with truck drivers, UC professors, artists steelworkers and Loop lawyers at the same bars/parties. Totally refreshing approach to humanity compared to the North Shore.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:29 AM

36 posts, read 88,460 times
Hey now, I am FROM Indiana---I grew up there and know a ton about the area. Most of my family lives around that area.

I'm not interested for a variety of reasons. Including that smoking is permitted inside of restaurants in some cities around there. Not acceptable to me. And that area doesn't have the lake and the other amentites offered by the north shore that we value (botanical gardens, nature preserves, and, if we went the privat school route, Jewish schools).

Additionally, I have no friends in that part of Indiana. I picked the western burbs and north shore because I have many connections in those areas.

Lets keep the discussion about what I asked. I appreciate recommendations, but we are looking north or west. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM

223 posts, read 662,563 times
I'm not a fan of Oak Park, but I seem to be far outnumbered by folks who love it. That said, there is a Jewish community here (Oak Park temple and a temple across the street from it in River Forest). In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that there are more Jews in Oak Park than I originally would have thought. Could be worth checking out. Now, I think the biggest issue is price, in that housing here is pricey, and lots are not big (e.g., 50 x 125, some may be 50 x 150 or x 180 -- but in short, many lots are pretty tiny), and I'm not sure if one's $ goes much further here than in Evanston-- but it could be worth researching. I'm thinking out loud here, but perhaps you could contact the Naperville and, if you're interested, Oak Park temples and see if you can stop in with your family during an upcoming social event?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svandoel View Post
And that area doesn't have the lake and the other amentites offered by the north shore that we value (botanical gardens, nature preserves, and, if we went the privat school route, Jewish schools).
But it does have the most beautiful part of Chicagoland, the Indiana Dunes National Park. Best beaches by far. Regardless, good luck with your move!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:23 AM

22 posts, read 66,477 times
If your in Evanston, I wouldn't rule out Skokie/Morton Grove/Lincolnwood just yet. Large, central Jewish communities, easy access to the city (including Yellow Line in Skokie & Metra in Morton Grove), low taxes (compared to most nearby suburbs), great schools, great public works (Skokie especially: one of the best rated in the country), affordable housing, and of course they're right next to Evanston so the move will be super close.

That being said, any burb within 15-20 minutes of Evanston (Evanston included, of course, is a great alternative to moving all the way across Chicagoland to Naperville. It's a great place to live, but between lacking much of a Jewish community, distance from the city and how spaced out everything is (something living in Evanston hasn't prepared you for), I'd say the best bet is to stay in your current area. You can't go wrong with most anything North Shore or adjacent (there are some neighborhoods to avoid, but not very many).

Old 09-26-2014, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,155 times
This post was from a while ago so you may have made up your mind already, but I grew up in Naperville so here's my two cents. There isn't a large Jewish community in Naperville, but I had a few Jewish friends and classmates and I never got a sense that they felt discriminated against or made fun of because of their name or religious background. I think, despite the reputation of Naperville as snobbish, people are judged by their actions. Naperville schools are diverse in what I feel is the best way. Whereas many people judge diversity by how many African Americans and Hispanics are in the community, Naperville has more of an international diversity despite having a large white majority. I had friends with families from India, Palestine, Poland, Russia, Hong Kong, China, Japan, South Africa... there was even a kid from Greenland. I didn't even know there were people in Greenland! I don't think people pay much attention to their neighbor's religious beliefs, I know I didn't. But there's a much larger Protestant/Catholic presence than anything else if that's of great importance to you. It's a good place to live. It's safe, there's plenty to do... but it sways pretty conservative politically, especially for the Chicago area.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:49 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
I just noticed how old this thread so I'm sure the OP already made a decision. I already wrote my whole response so might as well post it! There are more Jewish people than is generally known in the western suburbs, but as noted very few synagogues so not much choice unless you really want to travel. I would not refer to anything in the western suburbs as a shul! We joined a local temple when our son started mid-week Hebrew school and stayed with them until his confirmation. But DH is much more comfortable with our old city synagogue which we rejoined several years back. So 40 minutes on up drives into the city for the High Holidays!

There isn't discrimination, but you will definitely feel like a minority and out of the mainstream. Some of the towns are very church oriented. It's hard to track down a store that stocks anything for the holidays; we only found round challahs at Trader Joe's. We do our Passover shopping in Skokie. Very few stores get in Chanukah gelt - they don't know what you're asking for even if it's in their ads. A couple of years ago, I asked about a Chanukah display at a big chain grocery. "Heineken?" she replied. The towns all have Christmas walks. The schools try to remember not to schedule events on the holidays but don't always succeed; you'll always be working around that. People tend to forget that not everyone celebrates Christmas! Or the only holiday they do remember is Chanukah, although they don't know when it falls. Can't think how many times people would remember to wish me a Happy Chanukah as they head off for winter break, and I'd say thanks but it ended two weeks ago!

We moved out here originally because of my husband's work. If you want to live in the western suburbs and want to embrace a Jewish lifestyle, you will be dependent on your synagogue. Certainly it's possible to be active in a warm and welcoming albeit limited Jewish community. But you have to work at it and it will be distinct from everyday life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs