Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 06:35 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,080,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
I'd agree Naperville and Oswego are more known for having large amounts of upscale national and international chains and not much cultural food that reflects locally on the area, but in other suburbs, specifically ones closer to the city like Broadview, Evergreen Park, Franklin Park, Forest Park, and what not, there's actually a plethora of hot dog stands and small huts serving Gyros and Chicago Style Dogs and Italian Beef. Portillos was founded in the 'burbs, believe it or not.
I definately agree with you, heck south Suburbs has some of the best hotdogs stands around ie Jr Hotdogs in like tinley, palos, orland and off 95th st in evergreen. My point however being that most people on these boards when talking about suburbs aren't talking about inner ring burbs but are talking about the Napervilles and Schaumburs and those burbs. Thats a common frustration of mine about the west burbs is there's not enough unique fmaily owned or mom and pop restaurants everything is a noodles or jersey mikes or fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,844,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
It's very much same story in any historic suburb with a walkable downtown core. Between Wheaton and next door Glen Ellyn, I've yet to be at a loss for wonderful places to eat -- none of them national chains. Oswego? Yeaaa, probably not so much. The corn is fresh though, right?

Distinctions can be and should be made between the city and suburbs, but further distinctions should be made between various city neighborhoods and various suburbs. Not all city neighborhoods, and certainly not all suburbs, are created equal.
How is that possible? I read here on a regular basis that the suburbs are nothing but parking lots, shopping centers and big-box stores and there are no walkable neighborhoods (not even any sidewalks!).

Old 09-26-2014, 07:12 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,722,909 times
Gene and Jude's, widely held up as the most authentic and best Chicago hot dog stand, is actually in the western suburbs (River Grove).

Any place that was around in the 1950's probably has some pretty good, authentic Chicago street food. And if it doesn't, the next suburb over probably does ten minutes away.

And thankfully, due to the wide reach of Mexican immigration, there are great taquerias now in the suburbs.

Someone brought up Naperville as an example of "blah". Well Naperville actually has a significant Asian population now, and has some great noodle shops and Chinese food. Nothing in the 2014 suburbs is as it was in the 1980's. The world has changed.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:49 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,335,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I definately agree with you, heck south Suburbs has some of the best hotdogs stands around ie Jr Hotdogs in like tinley, palos, orland and off 95th st in evergreen. My point however being that most people on these boards when talking about suburbs aren't talking about inner ring burbs but are talking about the Napervilles and Schaumburs and those burbs. Thats a common frustration of mine about the west burbs is there's not enough unique fmaily owned or mom and pop restaurants everything is a noodles or jersey mikes or fast food.
This is just not true. The western suburbs are dotted with large, historic downtown districts that are brimming with locally-owned eateries. Out of dozens of spots to grab food in downtown Wheaton, there is only one (1) national chain -- a Subway -- and that just opened a few weeks ago. Same goes for nearly every other rail-linked western suburb.

Sprawling strip malls and national food chains are the model the south and southwest suburbs were built on.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 09-26-2014 at 08:03 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 03:08 PM

9,895 posts, read 9,546,433 times
Because its quaint and lots of trees and parks! and you don't have to pay all those parking meters AND most places you go to actually have FREE PARKING LOTS! easy squeasy to go places. and rent is cheaper.

Sheesh! I've been looking at average rents for very nice apartments that are not trashy looking and they are averaging about $1,500 for 700 square feet downtown. You can get a lot more for your money in suburbs and they have lots of nice amenities like a pool.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:25 PM

13,000 posts, read 18,859,535 times
Quote:
Oh, and OP: I'll give you the friggen check mate to this question;

There's no Rahm in the suburbs.
No, but he grew up there.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:08 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,389,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
No, but he grew up there.
He's from the city and that's where he currently reigns supreme. At least according to Wikipedia.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:59 AM

13,000 posts, read 18,859,535 times
Quote:
He's from the city and that's where he currently reigns supreme. At least according to Wikipedia.
Take a look at the prominent alums from this Winnetka public high school.
List of New Trier High School alumni - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs