Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2014, 12:44 PM

21 posts, read 33,183 times

Advertisements

I had been looking at homes in the SW burbs and found a few I wanted to look at..... What's the deal with Worth, Il ?? It seems to be a small, safe area from what I can tell. You also seem to get a lot for the money. One house I found has just about every feature under the sun and it's barely listed for over 300k.

6737 W 114th St, WORTH, IL 60482 | MLS# 08531636 | Redfin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,914,994 times
It is the "friendly Village" or so says its water tower... http://www.villageofworth.com/econom...%20profile.htm The upgrades to the Cal-Sag are kind of nice.

It is sandwiched between derelict industrial areas and cemeteries, schools are poor, as are many residents in lower quality apartments. Mostly run down business district -- Village of Worth, Illinois

Not a lot going for it..

Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Not a lot going for it..
Well, it does seem like a good place to set up an illicit business or hide a body.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Well, it does seem like a good place to set up an illicit business or hide a body.
Did you read my comments on the Italian beef thread???

Lots of places have 50 item menus...

Old 02-25-2014, 02:56 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,333,202 times
Default Another opinion

Quote:
It is the "friendly Village" or so says its water tower... Community Profile The upgrades to the Cal-Sag are kind of nice.

It is sandwiched between derelict industrial areas and cemeteries, schools are poor, as are many residents in lower quality apartments. Mostly run down business district -- Village of Worth, Illinois

Not a lot going for it..
Chet,

As usual, you dispense really bad advice, since you are from Clarendon Hills and probably have never been to, or just speculate, on Worth. Worth is actually a decent place to live; it has Palos Heights which is upscale to the south, Oak Lawn's better areas nearby, Palos Hills to the west with Moraine Valley Community College and Chicago Ridge with its mall to the north. Worth has its own train station on the SW line, as well as the nearby Chicago Ridge station. Worth is mainly middle class, with some upper middle and lower middle in the mix. It does have some cemetaries, which are attractive, and is really a pretty nice place, not subject to major change economically in the near future. Chet's comments are really off base and insulting to the residents of Worth most likely; having lived in nearby Palos Heights, I can honesty say there is nothing derelict about the place; the main buisness district on Harlem Ave. and 111th is just fine. Also, there is an area of Worth Woods covered with oak trees which is also charming.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM

Please refer to this document, from the Village of Worth -- Worth Illinois 111th Street / Toll Road Redevelopment Project Area: A Blighted Area

From Pg 4 & 5-- "The area currently suffers from structures with deterioration and a number of problems from lack of planning in the past. There is a broken pattern of commercial use. ... "Worth's Retail build environment is disorderly and unappealing because its existing buildings create neither a sense of street enclosure nor provide attractive visual features... There are also single family homes interspersed with apartment buildings on major arterials. Compared to its trade are, Worth is smaller, younger and less affluent. This makes it diffficult to compete for sales tax dollars. The small size of most buildigns and parcels on 111th Street discourages national retailers from renting space ... Worth's businesses do not appear to attract customers from other communities."

These are the FACTS directly from the website of the Village of Worth.

I know how sometimes these "TIF" reports can sound harsh, but when they work it can be a postive thing -- in the town I live in a higher end car dealer was found to teardown some unattractive retail buildings and a crummy "motel" that was mostly a magnet for those with substance abuse issues / criminal records that no decent landlord would rent to. These kind of investments often take a long time to reach "pay back". Infiniti dealership ready to open in Ogden Ave TIF | Chicago Sun-Times

I have relatives that live in Oak Lawn and I often drive down to visit them as well as recently been at the cementaries. Believe me I know what I am talking about.

The golf course in Worth is nice looking and I am sure that there are nice people that live in the town but with so many economic problems it really no surprise that one can "get a lot of house for the money". I am sure there are other places with much worse problems -- everything is relative. Even if a TIF "works" to attract new business you need officials to understand how they still need to be vigilent about the finances. Kadner: A big hole for Crestwood TIF fund - Southtown Star
At least things are not declined to this level - Harvey: A Chicago suburb abused and ignored - Chicago Tribune

Last edited by chet everett; 02-25-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

11,973 posts, read 31,622,124 times
Quote:
I know how sometimes these "TIF" reports can sound harsh, but when they work it can be a postive thing -- in the town I live in a higher end car dealer was found to teardown some unattractive retail buildings and a crummy "motel" that was mostly a magnet for those with substance abuse issues / criminal records that no decent landlord would rent to. These kind of investments often take a long time to reach "pay back". Infiniti dealership ready to open in Ogden Ave TIF | Chicago Sun-Times
Sounds familiar.

Glen Ellyn tightens hotel regulations - DailyHerald.com

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ncing-district

And apparently we attracted the first "Fresh Market" in Chicagoland to the abandoned Packey Webb dealership location with sales tax rebates instead of a TIF. It opens today!

Worth does seem like it could be attractive to future retail development, or even future light industrial, but the lack of a direct connection to 294 hurts. I think incentives would have to be used to draw people past the cheap land on Harlem to the north of Worth, much of which is abandoned or underutilized.

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 02-26-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-04-2014, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 43,282 times
Worth is like most towns. Some areas are very nice, others not so nice. Have had family living there since the late 50s. They do say the village has changed quite a bit, but what town hasn't over that many years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs