Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,585 times

Advertisements

My family and I are living in Oak Park currently, and while we want to stay, we are being priced out (I typed up a post earlier today on this).

I am interested in learning more on Lombard.

I'd like to know your thoughts on how strong Lombard's community is as well as what the overall vibe is?

Anyone that currently lives there or grew up in the area want to pipe in?
Is it generally a really nice town to raise a family?

What are the schools like? I've seen the ratings online already, but I'd like to hear from people who have experience with them.

Any thoughts would be very appreciated- THANKS!

Last edited by Jenskeff; 03-18-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 61,864 times
I feel your pain regarding Oak Park. That town's politicians just love to tax people!

I have never lived in Lombard, but I visit quite frequently, and here's what I can tell you from personal observations and research, both of which always help.

Home prices are about average, and many of the available homes I've seen in Lombard are pretty big. I've heard that the quality of schools is great, but are not like the quality you'd get at schools in Naperville or in much of Lake County (e.g. Libertyville and Lake Forest). Crime is very low, so you and your family should have few if any problems with neighbors. Lombard is served by several major thoroughfares including 22nd Street, Butterfield Road, and St. Charles. I-88 cuts through the southern part of town. Metra serves Lombard, and the station is located near St. Charles Road. If you choose to get a job in the city, a trip onboard the Metra train to/from Lombard would take you anywhere between 29-48 minutes, depending on which train you catch.

If you are into shopping, there are lots of strip malls on Roosevelt Road in Lombard, and then there's also Yorktown Mall, and the nearby OakBrook Mall. There are also a lot of nice restaurants on both Roosevelt and 22nd for you and your family to either dine at or get a quick bite to eat.

Based on everything Ive said, I think a move to Lombard would be a great move. I've thought about moving there as well. Another good thing, taxes there aren't anywhere near as bad as what you'd get in Oak Park, or in Crook County in general.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:22 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
Why move to Lombard when you can move to better places in Dupage county. Nothing wrong with it. Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Naperville, Downers Grove are all nicer. Taxes are pretty bad in Dupage county. More than most places in Cook county. Lombard is a middle tier suburb....

Old 03-19-2014, 12:38 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Why move to Lombard when you can move to better places in Dupage county.
Seems to be an issue of cost. They want a house under $200,000.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:48 PM

n/a posts
Jenskeff- we moved to Lombard last fall and we love it! Hammerschmidt elementary is great, our neighbors are lovely, so much to do and see. We are honestly so happy with our decision. Our home was 400k, but there are plenty of options at different price points. I'm not sure why that one commenter ALWAYS posts the same thing (why go to Lombard when there's better?)... so repetitive and annoying. I would definitely consider it, we have had a fantastic experience!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Really depends what your goals are. With a budget of $400k there are HUGE range of options in DuPage Co --

New construction in Lombard:
704 E Berkshire Ave, Lombard, IL 60148 | MLS# 08538426 | Redfin

Semi-updated place in Downers Grove (yes, it needs a kitchen overhaul...)
1272 Candlewood Ct, DOWNERS GROVE, IL 60515 | MLS# 08525651 | Redfin

A large well-cared for home in Lisle served by Naperville schools
2678 YORKSHIRE Ln, LISLE, IL 60532 | MLS# 08586824 | Redfin

A fully updated home in nice part of Naperville
33 Pembroke Rd, NAPERVILLE, IL 60540 | MLS# 08557323 | Redfin

Something that still "shows like a model" out on the west side of Naperville
3439 Parliament Ln, NAPERVILLE, IL 60564 | MLS# 08452190 | Redfin

Heck you could even get a fully habitable 4br home in Hinsdale
631 The Ln, HINSDALE, IL 60521 | MLS# 08568314 | Redfin

Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Really depends what your goals are. With a budget of $400k there are HUGE range of options in DuPage Co --

There are also 100 homes in Glen Ellyn/uincorporated Glen Ellyn and 188 homes in Wheaton/unincorporated Wheaton under $400k. Most are served by Glen Ellyn or Wheaton schools.

The problem is finding something in the $200k range as the OP originally requested in a different thread (Overwhelmed by low budget- Where to Move?). May have to go with some place like Villa Park or a townhome for that price range. Or maybe a townhome in a place like Hanover Park?

Last edited by Lookout Kid; 04-17-2014 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There are also 100 homes in Glen Ellyn/uincorporated Glen Ellyn and 188 homes in Wheaton/unincorporated Wheaton under $400k. Most are served by Glen Ellyn or Wheaton schools.

The problem is finding something in the $200k range as the OP originally requested in a different thread... May have to go with some place like Villa Park or a townhome for that price range. Or maybe a townhome in a place like Hanover Park?

$200K is a whole different part of the market. Much different set of trade-offs. The difficulty too is that when folks are shopping at a such low price point relative to the other properties it does point out how "stretched" things can get in some areas...

Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Its not to say you can't find a nice house for around $200k in DuPage county but I don't see too many houses above 1300 sq ft for that price range. Plus for a 1300 sq ft home in DuPage you will be paying about $5000/yr in property taxes....just so you're aware. If you do need assistance in finding a place I can definitely recommend a realtor to you, just let me know.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 25,623 times
Haven't been to this site in a while but I gotta chime in for Lombard. We were moving back to the States this time last year and picked a place there so I could have a 5 min commute to work. We're also in the Hammerschmidt school neighborhood and I can't imagine it could be much better for elementary age kids anywhere - the school is great and they've got tons of friends that are constantly running around the neighborhood. Neighbors are friendly and if you're into running/cycling you've got the Prarie Path and the Great western trail which are both brilliant. Now if only we could import weather from San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs