Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM

25 posts, read 40,561 times

Advertisements

Hello--I moved to Westchester from Indiana--last week! (Thanks for the advice for my move--it's turned out great!) I was considering taking the el to town next Friday--leaving in the afternoon--coming back around 11:00PM. I see I can park at Cicero--54th and Cermak--and take the pink line to where I want to go. But--I looked at the park 'n' ride situation and the problem= there are so few places right by the station that thye look usually full. There are more spaces in the "Park 'n' Ride" lot that is a short walk away. But that walk is through an alley at night. I'll be with my husband--but we're kind of old folks (62). I've heard the pink line is pretty safe--compared to the other el trains from this directions. But I'm wondering if that little walk is cool--it looked a little seedy . .I should say that I'm not a paranoid, frightened kind of old white lady (even though I'm very pale!) and have no weirdness about diversity. (My neighborhood in DC was about 1/3 each Hispanic, African-American, and whiteys, and really safe. I just don't want to be STUPID.
Sharon A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Sharon:

If you just don't want to hassle with parking in the Loop I would really recommend taking a Metra train from LaGrange or Western Springs, the drive to those towns from Westchester is a heck of a lot more efficient than trying to put-put all the way to Cicero.

If you are trying "explore" the CTA I would recommend first checking out the Blue Line from Forest Park -- to get to the fairly modern terminal off of DesPlaines is actually easier than getting to Cicero as you just take DesPlaines Rd up from its intersection with Cermack which is a quick drive as it mostly skirts cemetaries and Forest Preserve...

If still want / need to go via the Pink Line it is not truly "dangerous" so much as generally not as well traveled at the Blue Line and it is arguably still effected by some of the least "redeveloped" sites on the west side in the Lawndale area... There was a thread a little bit ago about "where not to go on the Red Line" and I cautioned that it is not so much there are violent thugs on the trains (as most gang bangers seem to prefer traveling by personal vehicle instead of public transit) but that the various stops along the route have a real dearth of things nearby to recommend them -- same thing really applies to Pink Line until you get Polk St where the UofI hospital is...

Old 03-21-2014, 04:42 PM

25 posts, read 40,561 times
Thanks , Chet--I had heard that the blue line from Forest Park was dangerous at night---but maybe not? If I could park there and go to the loop and come back--that would be cool. (I mean by midnight--not 2 or 3 in the morning!) The metra is a good idea too--it just seems a big hike from the metra to the downtown el--but I could be confused! I did park at Brookfield for free when I visited and "metrad" in and out of town--seemed pretty easy. ANy more advise of any type is appreciated--you are a great/my favorite source! Sharon A.

Old 03-21-2014, 04:49 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
I don't think the Blue Line is any more "dangerous" -- the fact is that the since the line runs right down the middle of the Ike it is always super "exposed" and easy for cops to get to should any thugs make trouble for anybody. The parking at the Forest Park Terminal is mostly OK and the terminal itself pretty much always has a bus or two hanging arouind so that means more eyes to watch over the area...

Old 03-22-2014, 07:35 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
Normally if I am downtown I just get a cab to go to the metra station, I don't walk. Its not that expensive.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,774,945 times
The Pink Line is definitely worse than the Blue Line in terms of safety. At least there are people on the Blue Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs