Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 12,852 times

Advertisements

My husband and I found a beautiful 4br/2ba house we liked in Morton Grove. It's nicely upgraded but similar homes in the area (although not as upgraded) are selling in the high 200s. The highest comp was $318K but it had an attached 1 car garage. The one we're looking at only has a uncovered driveway, and we would eventually want to add a detached 2 car garage. It's listed for $390K. How much do you think is a fair offer?

On Zillow, it looks like they bought the house in 2000 for $235K. The owner claims they spent $150K in upgrades. Some of the upgrades we don't really find necessary (surround sound system, stone bar in the backyard). Do sellers really expect to recoup everything they spent in upgrades?

We keep hearing from everyone not to buy the most expensive house in the neighborhood, but we're hoping to find a 'forever' home. Still, we never know what can happen in the years to come. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Make a reasonable offer based on comparables and let him reject it and it will probably be unsold for 3 years like one of the houses in my neighborhood. Is there a realator in the picture on either side?

Old 06-06-2014, 12:51 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
What school districts?? Where in Morton Grove?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:37 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Place on Lyons St. Looks highly staged, a little over done. Lots of upgrades, some are clearly not adding value -- the "pebble wall" in the bath is not a plus, electic range (when most folks prefer gas..) former garage space was turned into "eat-in kitchen" but the whole house still very much reads as "split level"...

Do you need 4Br? Would you really want that with only 2baths? What about the kinda goofy "work out room"? That is equipedl like someboud robbed a gym...

There are lots of other better priced home in the East Maine D63 none of which have students greaters than 72% mmeets-excedes...

The place is a bit over priced. It has been reduced from its original $399k If they come closer to $325K it might make sense, but the lack of garage is a HUGE negative and they way it is configured I doubt you could even add a carport...

Honestly if you want something near by in a better schools district with a whole lot more potential I would look in Glenview -- 2750 Park Ln, GLENVIEW, IL 60025 | MLS# 08536558 | Redfin that place is the "before" and the Lyons St place is the after...

(btw You should have an buyer's agent working for you. And there is no way that the seller really put $150k into the place. Maybe half that, and they are forgeting about the "discounts" they got on everything, just going with "MSRP")

Last edited by chet everett; 06-06-2014 at 05:05 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:02 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
I liked D207 for high school but that was 15 years ago.

District 63 was meh and I had the misfortune of ending up with all the nutball teachers in Elementary District 63 [I had idiots that wouldn't allow erasing on tests and all sorts of weird policies] so I don't rate it too highly and as for Gemini Jr High that place was such a h#ll hole my parents investigated sending me to private school. That was the only time in my life I actually failed classes the environment was so bad. Thank god Maine East was so much better and I graduated with honors in the top 10%.

Some sellers just don't understand how the housing markets work and feel because I put in $100k for repairs and improvements I should add 100k to the price. All you can do is make a rational offer and either the buyer will see sense or he won't sell his house.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 PM

I think most folks understand, at some level, that over improving a house is not wise.

They hope the same "emotion over logic" that cause them to go overboard on upgrades will resonate with some buyer. If that happens then they get their money back...

Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,940,693 times
there is a place on Lyons street with three bedrooms that looks good. 5742 Lyons St, Morton Grove. It a split level, not my fav but it has some good feature and is clean and appears to be in good repair. Keep in mind, its hard to get any good house for at or under 300 K. Most starter houses are 250 to 350 K and some of them will have repair issues. Anything less that is usually in a bad area, has questionable schools, or is not in good repair and is a fixer upper.

5742 Lyons St, MORTON GROVE, IL 60053 | MLS# 08530671 | Redfin

Old 06-06-2014, 11:58 PM

9 posts, read 12,852 times
Thanks for the advice everyone! It's making me feel a little bit better that we had to walk away from the house We offered 320K, but they countered back with their list price. Our realtor doesn't think they'll accept anything less than 380s.

The schools did worry me a bit (we're expecting a baby in August). It seems the PK-6 was ranked well but not the Jr high and H.S. Still, we liked the style of the house and wouldn't have needed any immediate upgrades. We would have wanted to add a 2 car garage and (Chet, you're right) eventually change the electric stove to a gas range.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 AM

I mostly like Morton Grove, it is mostly a good value for folks that work north / NW and are not in the market for a "luxury" place.

It is not that the schools are so "bad" that you'd really worry about them it is just FOR THE MONEY the seller is asking the schools are not good enough.

I often like to use analogies to cars -- if you want a really nice vehicle for a family and you pull a boat or have a cabin that you want to be able to get to in winter it makes sense to consider a 4wdrive SUV. If you go to a Jeep store and the sales people try to talk you into getting a completley loaded Grand Cherokee that is brand new and stickers at almost $60k that might seem like an appropriate option. But then you walk around the lot and see there are many similar Grand Cherokees that don't have super premium sound, or ultra leather or a Hemi and they are about $35k. And they you look across the street and see you could get a real nice Lexus GX470 for about what the fully loaded Grand Cherokee is stickered at. And they you realize they almost got you to sign up for a vehicle that just has too much stuff that don't make sense for what you need...

Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
If you are in Parkview or Golf Elementary and Niles North or Niles West, IMO, much better schools than D63 and Maine East. I agree with Chet about looking into Glenview, especailly if it is Glenbrook HS which is better than Maine D207 or Niles D219 high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs