U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 09-15-2010, 01:24 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,428,962 times
You're describing what a lot of people do already. I think there are more pitfalls than your tone implies (particularly with childcare and vulnerability of kids in lower income neighborhoods to negative influences). Anyhow, what you would do or think you would do isn't necessarily the reality of how many people will behave (maybe you are especially resilient). I come from a country in Latin America where beyond some ridiculous public hospitals there is basically no social aid at all -- you sink or swim entirely on your own. I'm not sure I'd recommend that model as anything to look up to. Everyone with money had to basically live in an iron cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If I didn't have a husband, I'd get a roommate or live with family.

I don't believe anyone owes me anything. Or that somehow my downfall or my despare became anyone else's problem but my own.

Unread 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM

1,967 posts, read 3,428,962 times
I know very little about the far south suburbs. Can you address the specific issue raised of crime in Crestwood vs. crime in Lansing? I'm hoping to avoid googling. You seem to know the area well.

Quote:
Okay, now I'm ticked off.

The south suburbs used to have lower crime, better schools and have a high white population.

Now, the south suburbs have higher crime, lower performing schools and the demographics have flip flopped.

If I were a potential Lansing resident, tell me why I shouldn't be concerned that it looked like the demographics were flip flopping? Because when the SAME thing happened in the towns to the north, crime increased and quality of schools sunk.

Why do you keep insisting that a town, in Chicagoland, can flip flop it's demographics and it not have an effect on crime, schools and housing values? Show me one town in all of the Chicagoland suburbs that it's happened. One. One town. You can't.

So don't tell me I'm arrogant.

Do I believe that the black community as a whole exists as a ginormous thug, bound and determined to suck the housing values out of communities? No, of course not.

But I'm not going to stick my head and the sand, stick my fingers in my ears and sing "la la la la la la" and think everything is hunky dory while the demographics around me change - when the precedent has been set in towns like Dolton, Calumet City & Riverdale.

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,976,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
I know very little about the far south suburbs. Can you address the specific issue raised of crime in Crestwood vs. crime in Lansing? I'm hoping to avoid googling. You seem to know the area well.
Nope. Sorry. You'll have to do your own research.

Even if everything else is equal (crime, economics, demographics, water quality, schools - and everything isn't necessarily equal) the perception of Lansing as a city that HAS declined or a city ON the decline will give the upper hand to Crestwood.

And Crestwood isn't even considered to be one of the south suburbs, so except for a random dart throw on a map, I don't have a clue why Allen brought up Crestwood.

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,658,349 times
Quote:
...I don't have a clue why Allen brought up Crestwood.
He probably got arrested there once or twice.

jk

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Once again. You are missing the overall point. It is not possible for most people to live off of minimum wage whether it is $4.50/hr in 1990 or $8.50/hr today unless they work 60 to 80 hours a week.

You are looking at things through the eyes of a single white man with no kids, assuming you were only taking care of yourself...
What in the world does color have to do with this?

Unread 09-15-2010, 02:55 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,517,321 times
Chuckcity,

I agree with many of your points but let's not confuse demographics with ethnographics. Most people lump race into demographics but demographics is mostly about socio-economics.

How do Worth and Summit and McCoy compare to Lansing? I know they are not far south suburbs but are working class areas.

I am arguing it is about both demographics and ethnographics and the priority assigned to education within certain cultures.

Unread 09-15-2010, 03:02 PM

829 posts, read 968,990 times
Quote:
Nope. Sorry. You'll have to do your own research.

Even if everything else is equal (crime, economics, demographics, water quality, schools - and everything isn't necessarily equal) the perception of Lansing as a city that HAS declined or a city ON the decline will give the upper hand to Crestwood.

And Crestwood isn't even considered to be one of the south suburbs, so except for a random dart throw on a map, I don't have a clue why Allen brought up Crestwood.

I brought up crestwood because I am familiar with both areas and I also know in reality and statistically both areas are very similar except for racial makeup. I don't have anything negative to say about creswood whats so ever. As I said before both areas are decent. I don't feel any better about crestwood than I do about lansing. But, if I had a choice between the two to live in, I would choose lansing. Although, I am sure just as many people would probably choose crestwood. I do hope that middle and lower middle class crestwood does not go through the same kind of racially motivated economic redlining and class decline that say riverdale saw. And I don't think that it will. I would like to think these are different times. But, the kind of attitude that you display lets me know that it is still a possibility for an area like crestwood. I wouldn't say the same thing is any longer a possibility for lansing. Middle and lower middle class african americans diversified the area and the area did not experience the class decline. I don't feel that either area is in decline. Nothing is really wrong with either area. But, neither area compares to say an olympia fields. And I would say that homewood would be a step up from living in either area ragardless of crestwood's 90 percent plus white racial makeup.

Last edited by allen2323; 09-15-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Unread 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
...For some strange reason, I kind of think you are exaggerating just a little bit . Unless you live with your parents in St. Annes, IL, it would be damn near impossible to live off to $4.50, even in the late nineties.

However, I'm not going to judge...
Where the hell is St. Annes?

Unread 09-15-2010, 03:11 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,976,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Chuckcity,

I agree with many of your points but let's not confuse demographics with ethnographics. Most people lump race into demographics but demographics is mostly about socio-economics.

How do Worth and Summit and McCoy compare to Lansing? I know they are not far south suburbs but are working class areas.

I am arguing it is about both demographics and ethnographics and the priority assigned to education within certain cultures.
Summit has Burritoville.

So it wins.

Obviously. Duh.

Unread 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM

320 posts, read 350,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What in the world does color have to do with this?
Here you go knit pickin again.

I said "Single", "White", "Man". The only thing you was was "White" and that was enough to distract you from my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Where the hell is St. Annes?
Knit picking again I see....How about you Google it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs