Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2014, 10:47 AM

50 posts, read 77,985 times

Advertisements

Last time we visited our relatives it cost us almost $700 for one week's midsize car rental, and about 50% of that was due to all the various taxes (oh, I mean "fees and surcharges"; we're not supposed to call them "taxes") tacked on by the city of Chicago. We REALLY don't want to get scammed like that again. Evidently the key is to somehow get out of the "airport zone" when renting a car.

We'll be visiting relatives in Naperville, arriving at Midway on a Saturday afternoon and leaving early on a Sunday. We could take a taxi to the 'burbs and rent a car there, but on both days most suburban car rental offices will probably be closed at those times, which makes it difficult to pick up/return a car on those days.

We'd appreciate any ideas; thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
It's still expensive, but using kayak.com, I found cars from upper $300's to $500 depending on how big of a car you rent.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:26 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Why would you lock up a flight itinerary knowing that it would bone you on your rental? Most car rental places close around 1 on Sat and are closed completely on Sun. If you haven't picked flights yet, do a Saturday AM to Saturday AM visit. Or ask the relatives you are visiting to help out with transport on the first and last day of your trip -- it will save you a lot of money.

The Naperville East Hertz location has mid-size rentals available (right now) for $185/week. Even factoring in two cab rides, you are still looking at a savings of ~$400. If you are a AAA member, you can get the price even lower.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
It's still expensive, but using kayak.com, I found cars from upper $300's to $500 depending on how big of a car you rent.
Wow; yeah, it shows $80/day for an economy or compact car from Midway. Gotta get out to the suburbs.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Why would you lock up a flight itinerary knowing that it would bone you on your rental? Most car rental places close around 1 on Sat and are closed completely on Sun. If you haven't picked flights yet, do a Saturday AM to Saturday AM visit. Or ask the relatives you are visiting to help out with transport on the first and last day of your trip -- it will save you a lot of money.

The Naperville East Hertz location has mid-size rentals available (right now) for $185/week. Even factoring in two cab rides, you are still looking at a savings of ~$400. If you are a AAA member, you can get the price even lower.

Since we're flying from CA we'd have to take a very early flight to arrive in Chicago by about noon on Saturday. But you're right; maybe next time we visit we should not travel on weekends.

It appears we will need to use a cab or get some transportation help from relatives, which I try to avoid doing.

Will check into the Naperville East Hertz. Thanks!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,344,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Pie View Post
Wow; yeah, it shows $80/day for an economy or compact car from Midway. Gotta get out to the suburbs.
I wouldn't use Kayak. Hertz website is showing prices that are cheaper than anything on Kayak.

Rental outlets have a lot of leeway to tack on extras to your bill, and in my experience staff are always happier and more willing to "work with you" if you skip the third-party and book direct (you can even call and ask for them to beat the price listed online -- I have done it, and it works) .

And again, Hertz is already showing cheaper prices for a mid-size in Naperville than Kayak.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
I wouldn't use Kayak. Hertz website is showing prices that are cheaper than anything on Kayak.

Rental outlets have a lot of leeway to tack on extras to your bill, and in my experience staff are always happier and more willing to "work with you" if you skip the third-party and book direct (you can even call and ask for them to beat the price listed online -- I have done it, and it works) .

And again, Hertz is already showing cheaper prices for a mid-size in Naperville than Kayak.
Costco also has discounts available.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:30 PM

440 posts, read 534,186 times
There's an Avis rental in a Doubletree in Oak Brook that's open Saturdays and Sundays from 10-4. If you rent from there and return the car to Midway, there's no difference in cost than returning to the Doubletree. The extra airport fees are for renting, not returning. I checked July 19-July 27 and it was under $300 without any discounts.

If you can get to the Avis in Naperville before they close on Saturday at 3:00, you can also drop it off at Midway for no or little additional cost.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Dropping off at the Naperville offices of the car rental firms when they are "closed" is not an issue. You do all the "data" online, lock the car, put the keys in designated Dropbox and then they confirm charges online.

Picking up is a bit trickier. Technically the folks you are visting (or their neighbors if they are too elderly to drive...) might be able to either to "get the keys" for you while the office is still open (Saturday hours seem to go until 2PM or so) or rent the car in their name. The second is a bit much to ask, as you'd have some insurance issues if anything went wrong...

I doubt the "Airport based" rental firms want to really "subvert" the city taxes, so you may try Enterprise which genrally offers "pick me up at my house" service geared toward folks getting their primary vehicle repaired and similar "suburban" needs. The have Sunday hours atthe Ogden Ave location, though they are limited. They currently show a Nissan Altima for about $207 FOR THE WEEK and taxes add $37... I suspect that Entreprise "store managers" can be contacted directly and arrange an "off hours" situation.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Some great ideas! We're traveling 7/26-8/3 so we've got a little time to consider our options. I'll be calling the local Hertz/Avis/Enterprise offices directly and see if I can work something out with them.

Since we travel to Chicagoland at least once/year I'd ideally like to make car rental arrangements which I can count on using every time we visit, and save the airport taxes. Over a few years the savings will really add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs