Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:27 PM

36 posts, read 75,204 times

Advertisements

One more question in Hinsdale do you think a larger colonial across the street from houses that back up to 83 is a better or worse buy than a house further in but is slightly smaller and a split level?

Last edited by bmollhag; 07-23-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 03:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,330,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmollhag View Post
One more question in Hinsdale do you think a larger colonial across the street from houses that back up to 86 is a better or worse buy than a house further in but is slightly smaller and a split level?
Chet would obviously know better regarding noise from 83 but I think an interior home will always trump one that backs up to a highway, assuming that they are not drastically different in size, condition or price. Especially if you think you might be relocating in the near future. Homes along highways/heavily traveled roads are notoriously hard to sell, and usually don't until they are offered at a substantial $/sqft discount compared to the greater market of your town.

Now if the 83 home is already priced at a big discount to the other home/the greater Hinsdale market, then that is another story. If you can pick up the 83 home for said discount, it'll be "priced in" on your end and you won't necessarily have to "eat it" when it comes time to sell -- although it still might take (a lot) longer.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-23-2014 at 03:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 03:43 PM

Yea I think I corrected that right after you posted, sorry about that.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Yea I think I corrected that right after you posted, sorry about that.
I took out mine too.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,071,081 times
Split levels are a funny thing, most folks have some very "hard to shake" ideas about them, mostly "hate" but a few love...

That said, unless you are on an exceptionally deep lot the negatives of Rt 83 right in the backyard are hard to ignore...

Pricing the same? Total interior space? Configuration of neighboring properties?

You can PM with the addresses and I will take a walk around if you want a first hand impression.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:52 PM

IMHO I would take the guaranteed peace and quiet of an interior home. I can't imagine backyard summer cookouts with family in the summer, or sharing some warm grog around the fire pit with friends in the colder months, and having to deal with the constant whirring and droning of traffic flying down Kingery -- even if the other home is a less-desirable split with less sqft. That would have to be a massive, beautiful colonial to dissuade me.

Old 07-23-2014, 03:58 PM

Thanks for offering but that isn't necessary. The colonial is on jackson and the split is on forest road. The split is a bit more in price than the colonial. Also I saw a tudor on e. 3rd. today that needed more work and is a little smaller as well (like 2200) but it was significantly lower in price.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for offering but that isn't necessary. The colonial is on jackson and the split is on forest road. The split is a bit more in price than the colonial. Also I saw a tudor on e. 3rd. today that needed more work and is a little smaller as well (like 2200) but it was significantly lower in price.
E 3rd > Forest > Jackson

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-23-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 07-23-2014, 04:06 PM

Yea I thought so too plus for the price we would have a lot of renovation money. When we bought our house in Hyde park it was a complete gut so we are experienced with renovations, but I am weary of doing a complete gut in the suburbs because I heard they are more tear down friendly than rehab friendly and in the city it is the opposite. But this house isn't a complete gut it would be just a bit more work. So three offers now in lol...Hopefully one will work out...

Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Yea I thought so too plus for the price we would have a lot of renovation money. When we bought our house in Hyde park it was a complete gut so we are experienced with renovations, but I am weary of doing a complete gut in the suburbs because I heard they are more tear down friendly than rehab friendly and in the city it is the opposite. But this house isn't a complete gut it would be just a bit more work. So three offers now in lol...Hopefully one will work out...
I'm a bit surprised you found something on East 3rd in your budget. That'd be a deal for sure. Are you sure the address isn't West 3rd? West 3rd is probably more on par with Forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs