Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe780 View Post
While I can only speak of Bartlett, not knowing much of 204, bartlett high is actually doing pretty good, after u-46 actually got themselves out of a $50 million deficit due to new schools in the 2000s, and bartlett park district bought villa olivia a few years ago and now has a fantastic park district

Several elementary schools such as Bartlett, Centennial, Prairie View
and Wayne were named to the Illinois Honor Roll Schools list during the 2012-13 school
year for academic excellence. Bartlett High School was named to
Newsweek magazine’s list of America’s best high schools for 2013, and about the Science and
Engineering academy at Bartlett High School, two students
designed a liquid medicine bottle during their junior year as academy students and have
been contacted by Blue Cross/Blue Shield about their product and the potential of a
patent for their work.

Seems impressive to me????

Inconvenient for employment? It's right next to the golden corridor and not too far from the technology corridor or o'hare....???

And their police night out is promising: Bartlett National Night Out ranks 3rd in country - DailyHerald.com
Bartlett High isn't a bad high school. It's not among the highest performing in the state, but it's certainly the most desirable high school out of all the surrounding towns. It's US News and World Report that actually does those rankings. Not bad access to jobs if you are near Lake/59. Lake/59 north to 90 is a pretty short trip. I know someone who lives in Bartlett and commutes to Lisle. How crazy is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 14,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Bartlett High isn't a bad high school. It's not among the highest performing in the state, but it's certainly the most desirable high school out of all the surrounding towns. It's US News and World Report that actually does those rankings. Not bad access to jobs if you are near Lake/59. Lake/59 north to 90 is a pretty short trip. I know someone who lives in Bartlett and commutes to Lisle. How crazy is that?
Funny you say that, one of my neighbors is actually an engineer in Rockford at some plane parts company, and goes through an hour commute! Now that's crazy!

I've lived here for 10 years and I'm a real outdoorsy type and the town's super bike friendly and is next to some of the best bike trails I've seen (fox river trail, great western trail, and illinois prarie path.) and an abundance of forest preserves on the town's west side.

Last edited by johndoe780; 07-23-2014 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-24-2014, 07:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's an overtly racist thread premise, and against the TOS. This thread should be locked.

The data about the racial makeup of various suburbs is easy to find. I doubt this is even a sincere post, as it seems like an attempt to "prove a point". Cue the follow up, "But if they asked about predominantly BLACK suburbs, no one would be up in arms!!!".
No, your opinion is only your opinion, however, there is nothing wrong with what the OP wants. I strongly disagree with you.

I know how she feels, and I too find I am comfortable with such a neighborhood.

Especially with some of the threads here that say a white person moving into Little Village got treated badly, and with the crime stats being what they are, can you blame the OP for wanting to avoid those areas, especially if she is looking out for her family?

it is not wrong to want a preference in the area you want to live, and this topic should not be shut down because it is not racist to want to have a certain preference such as the OP described.

diversity is sometimes not all that it is cracked up to be.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
No, your opinion is only your opinion, however, there is nothing wrong with what the OP wants. I strongly disagree with you.

I know how she feels, and I too find I am comfortable with such a neighborhood.
Coming out and saying, "I only want to live near white people" is pretty much the definition of racist. It is exclusionary in nature, and I'm pretty sure it was just a "troll post" to test reactions.

Now, saying "I don't want to live in a predominantly poor black neighborhood" would be a little better, but it's still basically a racist statement combined with a socioeconomic factor. Better yet would be "I'd like to live in a neighborhood with low crime and good schools where people are respectful and educated". There are other ways to get what she wants without making it about the race of the residents, which really has nothing to do with anything. Would the OP want to avoid a block where a black surgeon lived? How is this not racist? The OP made it all about race instead of focusing on the issues that really matter.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
It's important to note that OP has apparently "hit and run" with only this single post in their history so likely just a troll post.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Coming out and saying, "I only want to live near white people" is pretty much the definition of racist. It is exclusionary in nature, and I'm pretty sure it was just a "troll post" to test reactions.

Now, saying "I don't want to live in a predominantly poor black neighborhood" would be a little better, but it's still basically a racist statement combined with a socioeconomic factor. Better yet would be "I'd like to live in a neighborhood with low crime and good schools where people are respectful and educated". There are other ways to get what she wants without making it about the race of the residents, which really has nothing to do with anything. Would the OP want to avoid a block where a black surgeon lived? How is this not racist? The OP made it all about race instead of focusing on the issues that really matter.
I think you are judging her unfairly.

Possibly because you have defined what a racist is.. But others (like me) disagree with your definition.

A person may have a myriad of reasons to wish to live in a particular environment. what makes them feel comfortable. It may be valid or invalid according to you or another person, however, a person has the right to make choices based on whatever they wish. I do not hold the OP in contempt and do not consider her a racist.. as she pretty much just wants a place where she can find peace without the b.s. that she (and I) associate with a divderse neighborhood.

Her standards do not have to be approved by you, me or anyone else.

You might call me a racist because I dont want to live in a certain kind of neighborhood, and it works for me. I like my neighborhood a lot! Actually even though it is mostly white people, my apartment building is mixed race, but everyone is cleancut and looks professional, no bums. So you might accuse me of being a bougiousie, but I dont care coz i luv my neighborhood! ((and I'm not saying where!) I have lived in diverse neighborhoods and this one does not compare. of all the hundreds of chicago neighborhoods and suburbs, there are many choices. Why live somewhere just to "prove" to someone's opinion that they are not racist. HA! A person can live in a place like Oak Park or Evanston which is diverse, and someone will accuse someone of being racist. You cant win with some folks!

As for me and the OP, we will continue to find a place where WE love, not what someone else dictates.

Being comfortable in your surroundings is important to some people. like me and the OP.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM

366 posts, read 493,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
What specifically did you object to with 204's curriculum / practice? This is a serious question, as I have kids who will be in 203, and am wary of the values that the public schools may attempt to inculcate.
We raised our children while living in both District 129 and 204. We ended up homeschooling because of what passes for education in IL and elsewhere. Our children are grown and all of them graduated from college Summa *** Laude by the time they turned 20, the last this May. They are all employed in actual professions.

Personal standards for educational excellence vary. Our methodology was to ask permission to sit in the classrooms and then we used a stop watch to time minutes of instruction per day and then categorized what was being communicated. Our conclusion was not nearly enough time was spent on the basics and far too much time was spent on social engineering and coercive Government subservience. We value hard core science, mathematics, English, and creative thinking over the liberal social indoctrination we believe was the primary focus of the public schools. While a focus on tolerance and diversity may be valued by some parents we would have preferred that more time spent on key competencies.

Additionally the nature of classroom led instruction hindered the children’s individual progression and did not allow them to grow at their own rate. More over it did not encourage them to explore their own interest and curiosity at their own rate. We also observed that more time and resources seemed to be dedicated to pulling those below the average up to average then encouraging the gifts and talents of those above average to reach and excel Lastly, as parents, we wanted to disseminate our values into our children and not have them indoctrination into the State’s orthodoxy. We might have seen an area of compromise if the schools actually turned out students who demonstrated high achievement but the U.S. rankings in math and science on the world stage, especially at the primary school level gave us no reason to compromise our standards.

Simply put we wanted out children to have choices in life and to make those choices based on knowledge and experience so they could make wise choices that would lead to fulfilling happy lives. Our children were all ready for college by 14 or so and were able to enroll and explore a lot of disciplines as part of a slow exploratory process before they decided on their profession and some earned multiple degrees based on their interests. So far they are happy with choices they made and we are happy for them.

That is what we decided to do for our children. You likely will pursue another path, one I hope works out for your children. The diversity we value, is the freedom for each family to chose and walk the path that is best for their own children. I hope that helps.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:27 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
That is what we decided to do for our children. You likely will pursue another path, one I hope works out for your children. The diversity we value, is the freedom for each family to chose and walk the path that is best for their own children. I hope that helps.
Wow, I did not expect your response to be so good! Outstanding. Love the stopwatch idea. So shameful how much instructional time is wasted by teachers blathering about politics. At all grade levels. And it continues right into college too. How did your kids deal with the agendas of their professors in college? Did you have them mentality prepared for the onslaught?

Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,784,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balkh1994 View Post
I am Asian and you can go ahead call me a "white washed" "racist" or what ever name you want it doesn't bother me. I personally believe that it would be best for my family if we would live in a predominantly White neighborhood as opposed to a Black neighborhood. I'll give you a few reasons why. 1. I believe Whites are more socially conservative, they believe in family values. 2. Education is the most important thing in our family and I believe that my younger siblings will receive a higher quality of education at a predominantly White school. 3. Lower crime rates, No gangs, no drugs and other negativity that could potentially harm members of my family.

Those are the main reasons why. I do not believe that any race is superior to others. I do not "want" to be white as some of you might think, i am happy to be Asian but I just believe that Whites are more similar to me than Blacks are. That's my personal belief.

So, what neighborhoods/suburbs in Chicago area would you recommend for me, thank you.
Yes, I think you are some what racist, because you are stereotyping people based on their race… but if you want to live in a predominantly white area based on your comfort levels (arrived at due to ignorance) you are of course free to do so. There are plenty of places that I'm sure will fit some of your needs, Western Springs, Hinsdale etc. But if you think that predominately white areas means "no drugs", then you are either not with the times, or completely delusional. Young suburban whites are the fastest growing Heroin users in the Chicagoland area, which account for around 60% of heroin users in the area. Drugs run rampant in ALL those "desirable" predominantly white suburbs, so if you think you're getting away from those dangers, or that whites are somehow not a part of the drug culture, you are simply ignorant of the current youth culture in those places.

"Negativity"? It depends on what you perceive as "negative". I've had Asian friends that have grown up in all white conservative areas that have felt ostracized because of their race, wising they were more "white" as kids to fit in, and feeling the veiled racism that becomes normalized in certain communities where "diversity" is seen as a "negative". They grew up with a feeling that their childhood was a negative experience. There are different types of "negatives", but it seems like what you consider "negatives" are based, at least partially, on false assumptions and racist stereotypes.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:57 AM

I know the OP says she wants to live in a white neighborhood which i understand and she has a perfect right to live where she wants. That is what housing laws allow.

Something also to consider for the OP -

I am thinking that perhaps any upper middle class neighborhood - even if it is somewhat mixed race - might give her what she is looking for. I have lived in many many neighborhoods, with many types of mixes of races, economies, lifestyles, etc. etc. and it dawned on me that living in an upper middle class even made up of somewhat mixed race - is very desirable (for me). like i said above, I live in an upper middle class group of people in my building, (professionals who look like they work in a downtown office type) I have no problem.. but for example, compared to like Uptown, its totally different - at least in my experience.

In other words, comparing Uptown to a neighborhood like The New East Side, you have a mix of races, but the flavor of the neighborhood is night and day and it may be because its the income level of the population, which cause a different environment in the apartment/condo building tenants. I dont mean to make a blanket statement, however, I notice that if a neighborhood is upper middle class, it seems that the people living in it are not so "ghetto" for lack of better word.

(One exception are the highrises downtown which allow Section 8 and that is an exception to the above - sorry if that offends anyone as there could be decent Section 8 renters, but unfortunately the bad Section 8 tenants who cause problems cause the decent Section 8 tenants to get a bad reputation) but there are some buildings that dont rent to Section 8 and they seem to fare better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs