Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,308 times

Advertisements

I am Asian and you can go ahead call me a "white washed" "racist" or what ever name you want it doesn't bother me. I personally believe that it would be best for my family if we would live in a predominantly White neighborhood as opposed to a Black neighborhood. I'll give you a few reasons why. 1. I believe Whites are more socially conservative, they believe in family values. 2. Education is the most important thing in our family and I believe that my younger siblings will receive a higher quality of education at a predominantly White school. 3. Lower crime rates, No gangs, no drugs and other negativity that could potentially harm members of my family.

Those are the main reasons why. I do not believe that any race is superior to others. I do not "want" to be white as some of you might think, i am happy to be Asian but I just believe that Whites are more similar to me than Blacks are. That's my personal belief.

So, what neighborhoods/suburbs in Chicago area would you recommend for me, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
The various bullies that preach the orthodoxy of "diversity above all" will not like the reality, but contrary to the impressions that some folks paint of the region, nearly every desirable community is in fact predominately "non minority". Even towns often hailed as some special kind of model of integration are predominately non-minority.

The more affluent towns are very accepting of folks of different ethnic / racial backgrounds but one need not worry that any of these places have any kind of violence issues, no gangs nor any kind of open dealing of illegal drugs. Even if one were considering neighborhoods inside Chicago the same pattern of affluent areas being largely well policed and "safe" while areas with high unemployment / low household incomes typically have serious problems with violence, street drugs and gangs...

Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Mount Greenwood? j/k.

balk, just look at the demographic info on city-data for the suburb of your choice. Naperville is a good example since it fits the bill and also has a decent Asian population.

White alone - 103,603 (73.0%)
Asian alone - 21,094 (14.9%)
Hispanic - 7,574 (5.3%)
Black alone - 6,504 (4.6%)
Two or more races - 2,700 (1.9%)
Other race alone - 224 (0.2%)
American Indian alone - 122 (0.09%)
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 32 (0.02%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Naperv...#ixzz386E8UXYV

Last edited by flamadiddle; 07-21-2014 at 04:59 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
MOst of the western and northern suburbs save a few have a majority of white residents. Some are more diverse than others. Naperville, Downers Grove, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton....while there are some African Americans in these areas they are a small minority. Most of the AA population is concentrated in the south and west sides of Chicago and the south suburbs. If you believe as you do and stick away from those you will accomplish your objective.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times
Why not just leave Chicagoland and move to Maine or Vermont? If you want to participate in American society in 2014 and the future, you had better get comfortable dealing with people from all races.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
Default I'm gonna give the OP a little latitude ...

... If they are relocating it is entirely possible that the media coverage that happens nationally making Chicago sound like a war zone / criminal shooting gallery has just made them overly sensitive to crime/violence. If you've been watching news while out of the area that is not a big leap...

The OP may not be particularly tactful / accustomed to US English idioms, but they really sound more like they wish to avoid any crime than they want to find some "skin head compound"...

Old 07-21-2014, 07:56 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
Western Springs is the whitest suburb of reasonable size in Chicagoland. Smaller, wealthier white hold-outs like Kenilworth might have a slightly higher percentage, but they are rather inaccessible for ordinary folks.

Races in Western Springs, IL | City-Data

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-21-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:20 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,260,841 times
OP. Instead of race, why not focus on school performance. The truly outstanding schools, like Stevenson HS, will be predominantly white, but also have Asian and also some African American kids. These are NO gang-bangers, but typically above middle class kids who have professional parents providing the best opportunities for their kids and making sure their kids are focused on academics, sports and productive activities!!!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,342,548 times
I'm with the baseball guy. You should have an easy enough time looking for the items on your list without necessarily bringing race into the equation:

1. Socially conservative
2. Great schools
3. Low crime rates

Many, many suburbs will fit these requirements. Most will indeed be super-majority white, but those that aren't shouldn't be purposefully avoided. As long as you can check all three boxes, they're worth a look.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 07-21-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 07-21-2014, 09:09 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,938,332 times
The way he worded it...predominately white. That includes most of the north, northwest and west suburbs. "as opposed to a black neighborhood".......maybe not quite worded right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs