Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 5,608 times

Advertisements

Looking to get my front stoop redone. Tried to get a few quotes from HomeAdvisor.com but no one is calling me back.

Anyone know a company they trust to do this kind of work.

Here's the before picture.

and here's what we're trying to accomplish (photoshopped)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
This is the time of year when good concrete guys are BUSY doing BIGGER projects like muncipal repaving, new subdivions , and the "flat work" for commercial warehouses and office parks.

Try asking neighbors for a good "patio guy" that can make money off small stuff. It is hard heavy work to jack hammer out the old steps, haul the busted up old concrete to an approved site, build forms for new steps, deal with a relatively small load of fresh concrete, hope the homeowner is not gonna write a bad check and all the other hassles of "little jobs".

If we have a mild fall you can find guys a lot hungrier in October or November when the big jobs are done. If it gets too cold to soon you don't wanna be pouring new concrete in the freezing rain / snow...

BTW I would not recommend the railing on the garage sided the steps -- makes if much harder to shovel of manuever appliances furniture into / out of home. Frankly is you do not need handrails by code (and it does not look to be high enough to require them...) most folks would recommend not adding them, maintenance headaches...

Old 07-28-2014, 12:22 PM

6 posts, read 5,608 times
Thanks for the tips, Chet. I figured the main contractors were busy with the bigger ticket jobs but I thought I'd float it around.

We'll probably skip the railing on the garage side. We have some mildly handicapped relatives that have trouble with the stairs so maybe just on the window side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs