Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 02:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so that's why you are extra sensitive to things like this. did they say why? I think I know why. Because they are worried that the chair will cause a dent or scratch or damage to the regular elevator, and the regular elevator might not fit the wheelchair. but mainly for the worry about the damage, or could be worry that the person might injure themselves trying to get into the elevator. But mainly I bet its the worry about damage.
It's probably because they didn't have an appropriate ramp or the desire to put one in. So they had the person use the freight entrance, which had a ramp, and the freight elevator, which is the only elevator that typically opens to the freight entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:53 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
I use ApartmentRatings when I'm looking for an apartment, and I take the ratings with a grain of salt. And I post positive and negative comments there. The last complex I lived in has a 43% approval rating ... And it's well deserved. My current complex has a 79%, also well deserved, and the difference shows.

Http://www.apartmentratings.com

If you read the reviews and ask the right questions when you visit, you can spot the complexes that wouldn't be a good fit for you. I do my research before signing a lease. We all have different lists of requirements ... "not fascist pigs" isn't high on my list of priorities but "less likely to get ripped off or stabbed by my neighbors" is at the top.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:53 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
It's probably because they didn't have an appropriate ramp or the desire to put one in. So they had the person use the freight entrance, which had a ramp, and the freight elevator, which is the only elevator that typically opens to the freight entrance.

I think that point that MSChemist was making is that they towed all the extra cars during Passover but did not do it when it happened again over Easter. Sounds like an accusation of discrimination.

The issue with the wheelchair was just additional info to prove the point that they are not accommodating to certain groups (Jewish, handicapped, etc.) Which in turn apparently makes them fascists.

Regarding the OPs issue with the towed vehicle......if the rule is in the lease and you sign it then there really is no arguement. Complexes do not want cars with expired tags because they don't want it to become a junkyard or a storage space. If the lease agreement stipulates that you must keep your registration current or you will be towed then that is the rule. You can choose not to live there if that bothers you. But don't get mad at the HOA or the tow truck drivers.....they are only enforcing the rule that was agreed upon when the lease was signed. That is a contract, not fascism.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:51 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
The point I was trying to make is that they are unreasonable and oppressive [insert plural expletive]. You don't use rules and enforcement to beat your residents with like a hammer. If they are causing problems then yea you have to do something like if they really do abandon a beater car in a spot or refuse to pay for a complex parking permit. Otherwise you are just being a Nazi (possibly literally in the case of Triumvera) and reducing your residents quality of life and they should move out and warn others.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:14 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,578,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
Wouldn't a wheelchair be able to roll into a regular elevator, unless its not big enough? You may be right about that though.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The point I was trying to make is that they are unreasonable and oppressive [insert plural expletive]. You don't use rules and enforcement to beat your residents with like a hammer. If they are causing problems then yea you have to do something like if they really do abandon a beater car in a spot or refuse to pay for a complex parking permit. Otherwise you are just being a Nazi (possibly literally in the case of Triumvera) and reducing your residents quality of life and they should move out and warn others.
No one is literally beating cars with hammers. come on now.

No one is beating residents with hammers either. Try to be reasonable even though you are royally angry because of your previous experience.

the bottom line is - when people follow the rules, people can avoid many problems which 99% of everyone here seems to be saying. Its ok, i understand if you are very angry at your previous experience and now it looks like everyone with a tow truck is EVIL.

I would LOVE to hear the apartment complex side of the story, I am sure they have a few tales of their own about how people abuse the privileges and thats when they have to incur stronger boundaries and rules/regulations, actually though i do see the rules you are ranting about as very reasonable and expected,

but it really is nothing personal, its just business, as Donald Trump says, and its there for the enjoyment of the apartment complex.

The good thing is - that if you dont agree or like one place there are a million others who you can choose from. Maybe you could even use some of that anger and work to make places a better place for tenants. Have you ever thought maybe putting that to some good use? Maybe you can be a tenant advocate for people who are truly getting unfair treatment.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM

The point is when you have a place with a stack of rules that makes the affordable care act look like brevity many of which really don't resolve or prevent any significant issues with the complex. Also all of them an enforced with severity (having a car towed in the middle of the night) even though they are so extensive people can't help but run afoul of them frequently. That is not orderly well ruled complex. That is just really really oppressive and unpleasant. Maybe some people are OCD and like horribly opressive governments and home associations. For me personally that is h#ll.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,341,679 times
Quote:
The point is when you have a place with a stack of rules that makes the affordable care act look like brevity many of which really don't resolve or prevent any significant issues with the complex. Also all of them an enforced with severity (having a car towed in the middle of the night) even though they are so extensive people can't help but run afoul of them frequently. That is not orderly well ruled complex. That is just really really oppressive and unpleasant. Maybe some people are OCD and like horribly opressive governments and home associations. For me personally that is h#ll.
Time for a SFH

Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Well i am sorry you have had such a frustrating time with apartments that will work for you, espeically if you or family members need one that is ADA compliant. I hope you are able to find a few good ones that are wonderful because I know firsthand what an opppressive apartment is like - the one i just left. the hellhole apartment from hell. I think you would even hate it.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 AM

I live in a SFH. One of my aunts lives in a HOA community. She isn't very wealthy and the HOA suddenly decided everyone should spring for new windows $10k and it caused her significant hardship and she really didn't need new windows.

Maybe I just don't trust authority, growing and living in Illinois especially the last 15 years can you blame me. It seems a lot of these associations just become insanely unjust and oppressive and their boards are made up of miserable/stuffy old people who inflict their tastes and opinions on what things should be like and how people should live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs