Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 11:43 AM

20 posts, read 123,270 times

Advertisements

I’ve noticed that the prices of homes in Rolling meadows by Rt. 53 and Kirchoff seem to priced about 10-15% lower than just 2 miles south right by 53 in Schaumbrug. Being equally close the same highway and the same quality of homes only a couple miles apart was making wonder why the big price difference. I’m guessing traveling north up Rt. 53 from Schaumburg you must pass into a bad school district or bad area or something. Can anybody who knows the area help explain what’s wrong with this area of Rolling Meadows?

Thanks,

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 03:58 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
I'm not sure what area you're comparing it to, because two miles south of 53 & Kirchoff is a forest preserve. If you mean the houses on the other side of 53, then the schools are probably the reason. Houses east of Rt 53 are in district 25 or 59 with district 214 for high school, and houses west of Rt 53 are in district 15 or 54 with district 211 for high school. Those high school districts are pretty much the same but Rolling Meadows HS in particular is one of the lower performing high schools in 214 whereas Fremd HS and Conant HS on the other side of Rt 53 are the better high schools in district 211.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:54 AM

I was referring to west of 53 and around to just south and west of busse woods. I think 2 mi south puts you at about Golf right. The whole area of homes from Golf to Schaumburg rd and from 53 to a mile or two West.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM

677 posts, read 4,210,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badman70 View Post
I was referring to west of 53 and around to just south and west of busse woods. I think 2 mi south puts you at about Golf right. The whole area of homes from Golf to Schaumburg rd and from 53 to a mile or two West.
Okay, now I know where you're talking about. I'd say it's definitely the schools that are causing the difference in price. Also I believe the houses between Plum Grove Rd & Meacham Rd are a lot newer than the rest of that area and Rolling Meadows, and I know for a fact that the houses south of Schaumburg Rd, north of Biesterfield/Wise Rd and between Plum Grove & Meacham are newer because my sister lives there. It's also Elk Grove Village there, not Schaumburg, so that might make a difference.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 AM

220 posts, read 744,595 times
You'll probably get a newer and nice built house west of Rt 53 as opposed to east of Rt 53 in Rolling Meadows. Much of Rolling Meadows was built as inexpensive post-WWII housing to meet the huge demand at the time. Therefore, many homes were simply built (2bds, 1ba, slab foundation, etc.) and tend to not age well. Plus, many are easily 50+ years old now and may not be holding up as well as newer, more expensively built houses.

But many of the old houses in Rolling Meadows have been updated and expanded to better meet todays space and amenity desires. Plus, the location is great for access the job center in Rolling Meadows, Arlington Height, Elk Grove, and Schaumburg.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM

thanks for the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs