U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,893 times
Default Friendly confines

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
many of the suburbs of chicago are quite beautiful, but sadly, the hospitality in illinois is not good. Basically, only the top notch popular/rich seem to be accepted into the community in illinois. Chicago has a lot of smog, ozone, and pollution. Very sadly, from my point of view it is very unlikely that you will fall in love with illinois, unless you are the type of person who likes to be disconnected from the community. Schools in illinois, by the way, are very bad.
this statement is so not true!!!! I've lived in many places and illinois by far has the friendliest people around. In fact, i miss that so much that we are moving back there after 7 years elsewhere. It is not a snobby community at all in chicago. Schools in illinois are top notch. The city of chicago doesn't have the best schools but any city outside of the immediate city will offer a wonderful and safe education for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 12:10 PM

127 posts, read 91,162 times
If you're working in Warrenville, then Naperville would be your best option, I think. Its the best downtown area nearby, and probably is the best for all of the options that you list. Wheaton would also be a good consideration (somewhat less in the downtown and restaurant area, but good elsewhere), and Glen Ellyn. Most of the suburbs in the area would be suitable (with a few small areas to avoid) since this is all in a fairly small area (Southwestern DuPage county) and the area is fairly dense with everything that you want, with the possible exception of the nice downtown areas (Naperville, Glen Ellyn would be tops, then Downers Grove, Wheaton).. a lot of the good dininng is to the east, in Lombard/Oak Brook, but this area is compeltely car-centric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csanad View Post
hi, i am a Hungarian, and i was offered a job at my company HQs in warrenville, they want me to relocate to chicago area for min 2 years. i am taking my wife with me

which sub is the best to start searching for accomodation. place i am looking for
- preferably has nice downtown area (like Naperville),
- an OK selection of restaurants and sport bars,
- well equipped fittness centre,
- should be an OK distance from warrenville.
- no children yet, so school is not a concern
- some access to train to chicago

thanks a lot

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM

5 posts, read 7,125 times
I'd definitely say the Northern/Northwestern burbs or the Western burbs in DuPage County.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:13 PM

3,528 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Berquist View Post
Dear knowledgeable Chicagoans;

My daughter who will be teaching at Notre Dame in SouthBend and her spouse working downtown Chicago can't afford the expensive suburbs but want a city/cultural life. Where can you go, be close enough to South Bend to be able to do the commute and still be safe? Really appreciate some suggestions.
Lansing is close to the Indiana line and really not that far to sbend probably around 75 miles but they could take the toll road to exit 77 nd exit.
all highway driving.

not much to do in south bend, in
it is the poster child of a decayed city

Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,992 times
Hinsdale and only Hinsdale.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:24 PM

68 posts, read 87,036 times
Tri-City Area. Batavia, St. Charles, Geneva. Great place. Also, Wheaton is nice. As well as parts of Aurora. Naperville is great.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,488 times
to be 100% honest its all how you look at it there will always be a bad part of anytown or city you live in as long as you have a good out look on stuff youll be fine if you come looking for trouble then thats what youll get. its all on you

Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,619 times
I grew up in Homer before it was Homer Glen and it was just beautiful there. It is a nice place to live.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,503 times
Default The way I see It

I grew up in Elmhurst in the Western Suburbs. I am 45 and have been to all of Chicago as a mover of household and electronics and office/industrial. If you ask someone where they live, and they say any of the following names, there will be a moment of silence that follows. These towns just don't carry a good name: Elgin, Hanover Park, Glendale Heights, Carpentersville, Maywood, Berkeley, West Chicago, Hillside, Bellwood, Northlake, Stone Park, Maywood, Franklin Park, Bensenville, Melrose Park, Bollingbrook, Waukegan, Joliet, Aurora, are some that come to mind. Anyone that knows the south burbs better can add theirs.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
I completely disagree with the comment about avoiding the west suburbs. I have lived in the western suburbs almost my entire life. I have lived in downers grove, Plainfield, woodridge, Winfield, warrenville, and Naperville. I now live further west in a small town exactly 60 miles west of Chicago. I do agree with the comment about the southern suburbs although my sister lived in Lemont in a beautiful home with excellent schools both public and private. I have two young children and can tell you that the schools in Naperville, Batavia, Geneva, and st. Charles are off the charts excellent. In fact, i believe it was better homes and gardens that last year had St. Charles as the best town to raise your children in due to schools, beautiful homes, and park districts, etc. After living here in this area my whole life my husband and I plan to move to Geneva for the beautiful town, park district, schools, homes. The northern suburbs are nice and have quaint downtowns (so do the western suburbs!) but typically thought of as pretentious. There are still beautiful open spaces in these western suburbs where you can have a beautiful home, convenient shopping, excellent schools but have a couple of acres to stretch out on. Do not discount the western suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs