U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 08:35 AM

531 posts, read 1,092,072 times

Advertisements

Dont overgeneralize the North, West and South suburbs. Usually people who do this are the ones who live in one of the less affluent north suburbs. They want to think that because they are near the North shore that their suburb is nicer. These are what I call the "North Shore wannabes."

Nicest suburbs in Chicago:

North Shore
Southeast Dupage County
Central Dupage county
southwest dupage county
Northwest cook
Kane county
will county
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 72,826 times
Holy cow....so many of you are so negative about Chicago....basically scaring away those who want to move to Chicago!

Oak Park is a delightful suburb which might just be more affordable than the North Shore. I would certainly NOT rule it out! It is beautiful as is the neighboring and more upscale suburb - River Forest. Chicago is VERY friendly and a wonderful place to live!!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

283 posts, read 1,229,961 times
It's true. Many people in the chicago area are not "nice". But if you talk with them some will be the most amazing people ever! And another thing many will put on plastic behavior. So don't worry about them not being nice.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,598,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vered4 View Post
Holy cow....so many of you are so negative about Chicago....basically scaring away those who want to move to Chicago!

Oak Park is a delightful suburb which might just be more affordable than the North Shore. I would certainly NOT rule it out! It is beautiful as is the neighboring and more upscale suburb - River Forest. Chicago is VERY friendly and a wonderful place to live!!
I dont think that is the majority here,thats why most bother to post as they have good things to say,or try to be helpful.Ignore the crabs There is the good and bad no matter where you live,and CHicago has much to offer/wonderful family towns,excellent schools,lots of housing choices and a world class city at your fingertips

Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM

38 posts, read 165,515 times
Home is where you find it. I live in Texas but my husband works for a company in Chicago so we go there quite a bit. I have found people there friendly and welcoming. I think if you expect people to make a big deal out of you without at least introducing yourself, you will get a cold shoulder. Plus, whether from Texas or where ever, I have found it to be very rude to constantly compare your new surroundings to whatever your have left behind. Stories that begin "when we lived in....fill in the blank..." tend to be a bit off putting. Bloom where you're planted. If life had been so much better elsewhere you would still be there. If we could afford it and if I had to move, I like Elk Grove and Elgin realistically. If we had the money I would move to Lake Forest or Winetka. Just my opinion as a frequent visitor there. There are so many cultural and local opportunities in Chicago that only a truly boring person would be bored there.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 23,772 times
have you looked into Mokena/ Frankfort. The Lincoln Way School District is rated well.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:21 AM

60 posts, read 314,189 times
Exclamation Not all south burbs are terrible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoland View Post
North suburbs are the best. South suburbs are terrible and the crime rate is extremely high. The west suburbs and in-between the two. North suburban crime rates are very low. Northbrook, Glenview, Glencoe, Winnetka, Highland Park, Deerfield, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Northfield, and Lake Forest have the most expensive homes in the north suburbs. The less expensive north suburban homes can be found in Skokie, Morton Grove, Niles, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, Des Plaines, and Evanston.

Well I have no idea where this person is getting their info from, but I can tell you the idea of all the south burbs being horrible is simply not true at all. Just for the record, Frankfort; a south burb, has property values skyrocketing much higher than that of the northern burbs due to the oncoming of I-355 and New Lenox is going the same way. Another couple of south burbs that are growing by leaps and bounds of which are almost all white, has crime nearly non-existant, and has many multi-million dollar homes is Orland Park and Palos Park. Another south burb which is also very elegant is Palos Heights, so I have no idea where this person is getting his info from. Here are some links to these horrible burbs.

Village of Orland Park OR Village of Frankfort

OR The Village of New Lenox - Home of Proud Americans

OR Palos Park, Illinois
OR Village of Tinley Park
OR City of Palos Heights, IL - Home Page

AND here is some more about Orland Park Orland Park - Economic Development (http://www.orland-park.il.us/econdevl/cf/sub_main.cfm?go=cp - broken link)

and it's awful schools District 230 and Carl Sandburg

oh and the ratings proving that Carl Sandburg High School has higher ratings than most any other school.

Carl Sandburg High School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

oh and here is the news doing a report on how wonderful the school is ABC7Chicago.com: School Days: Carl Sandburg High School

Oh and Money magazine saying that Orland Park is one of the best places to live in the country... I don't see Skokie or Wilmette, or any of the other burbs being named in recent past MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Orland Park, IL snapshot

Old 07-02-2007, 08:35 AM

20,005 posts, read 67,885,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vered4 View Post

Anyone who knows anything at all, knows that Chicago's positives FAR outweigh its negatives. Some people just look at the negatives and nothing else, and use the negatives as scare tactics. Chicagoland is a wonderful place to live, trust me on that. Ive traveled every inch of this country several times (except Hawaii and Alaska and Maine) and IMO Chicagoland is still the best place to call home, and I dont just say that because Im a native. It really is a great place. Oak Park is wonderful, LOTS of fantastic architecture and the downtown is quite nice also. Sure there are parts that are shady, but you just do your best to avoid them, simple as that.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:51 AM

3,643 posts, read 6,815,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe107 View Post
Dont overgeneralize the North, West and South suburbs.
Now now. What fun would that be Overgeneralizing is a staple in this area, particularly when it comes to communities with larger minority populations and the south side of Chicago. We wouldn't be Chicagoland without that.

There are plenty of good suburbs in all three directions. You really have to look at each individual community and not draw stereotypes based on geography. To go back to the original thread question, I don't know if there is a "best" suburb. It just depends on what you want.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 112,358 times
Default I think I know of some nice areas

I think Naperville was rated best burb in Illinois to live in and Orland Park was right behind it according to Money Magazine. I know that both burbs have alot to offer and are very nice. I think Naperville is probably a tad nicer, but I know it is more expensive too, so all things come at a cost. Anyways I wish you the best in your hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or